Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

What Andy Farrell and Mike Catt have managed to do to Ringrose is symptomatic of their outdated tactics, poor coaching and misuse of their best strike runner.

I’m delighted Lancaster has signed up for 2 more years so he can rehabilitate all the Leinster players in how to run, pass and catch the ball on their return from Ireland camp over the next 2 years.

Ringrose is World Class.

Farrell and Catt are slowly trying to destroy any of the good work done by Leo/Lancaster. Yet we have people on here attacking the players and questioning them.

It might give people a hint when every rugby podcast is saying the same, the coaching is poor. We have the players but not the proper coachs

Even McKinlay who rates Catt says he doesnt understand his tactics......is that not ringing any alarm bells here?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sebdavis wrote: »
    Farrell and Catt are slowly trying to destroy any of the good work done by Leo/Lancaster. Yet we have people on here attacking the players and questioning them.

It might give people a hint when every rugby podcast is saying the same, the coaching is poor. We have the players but not the proper coachs

It’s not one or the other tho. The coaching can be poor AND James Lowe can have performed poorly in defence independently of that.

Imo, Lowe’s mistakes have looked much more like individual mistakes than systematic / coaching issues. But equally the attack that Catt and Farrell have put in place hasn’t gotten the best out of him either.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I didn't say that. At all.

I was making the point that if a player is playing in a team that is vastly superior to their opponents, then the individuals in that team sometimes look better than they really are. Even at European level, Leinster are usually much better than the other guys.

And that this might explain why Lowe hasn't looked great at test level.

All we have to do is look to Wales to see how good players look average when playing in a sh!te team

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭honestbroker

sebdavis wrote: »

Even McKinlay who rates Catt says he doesnt understand his tactics......is that not ringing any alarm bells here?

Farrell/Catt are coaching them not to tackle, pass the ball forward into touch, make the wrong on field calls in defence?
    Heard all this nonsense when Declan Kidney was coach, how Leinster was a hot bed of progressive and futuristic coaching. When Joe the great lad became Ireland coach we came the world's second best kick chase team. Until SA and England got organized then we slipped way down even the kick chase league and suffered the indignity of losing to Japan on the "World Stage".

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I didn't say that. At all.

I was making the point that if a player is playing in a team that is vastly superior to their opponents, then the individuals in that team sometimes look better than they really are. Even at European level, Leinster are usually much better than the other guys.

And that this might explain why Lowe hasn't looked great at test level.

If Lowe had never played against top opposition for Leinster then that would be more relevant,

Lowe played against Maitland last weekend. Just as he did against Saracens last season in a European quarter final. That’s where the relevance is. Not playing on the wing at a much lower level for a side like the Dragons! That’s hilarious.

The big difference is how he reacts to it now that he’s been exposed to international level and lost his place over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Dubinusa wrote: »
    England have not been very good this 6nations. Except, last weekend. I reckon a fast start by us and who knows? I would hope to see something from our backline. I've just rewatched the France match and it makes for some painful viewing. We haven't had a good outing yet, which is a concern.

The backs look clueless...yet we know they are all highly talented guys who are capable of great things. It's a bit like they have put their boots on the wrong feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Reasons to be Positive:

1. No Tuilagi today
    He crashed into Sexton from every scrum and lineout in the opening 8mins (3 times)

2. Both of England’s first 2 tries were from Ireland mistakes.
    1st try after Stockdale failed to tackle May into touch & ultimately Sexton not gathering ball in the in-goal area.
    2nd try after Stockdale failed to gather ball in the in-goal area.

3. Daly at 13
    4. Mallins at 15
    5. Irish forward play has improved from last 6N

Reasons to be Negative:
    1. Farrell’s selection
    2. Farrell’s game plan
    3. Catt’s coaching
    4. Catt’s tactics
    5. Easterby’s defence on the edges
    6. Connors injury
    7. The backs mindset
    8. The backs confidence
    9. The halfbacks
    10. English pack

I don't at all see why Malins at 15 is a positive. He's an incredibly dangerous player.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I don't at all see why Malins at 15 is a positive. He's an incredibly dangerous player.

Yup. We'd be far better off with Daly at 15 on current form and someone like Lawrence in the centre.

As it stands, Malins is a great talent at 15 and playing great stuff. They've gone with Daly at 13 for his kicking game, I'm sure. We've struggled massively with the variety of kicking England present. With their 9, 10, 12 and 13 all extremely comfortable and creative kickers, our back three are in for a real test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Desperate for any positives!
    Hence Mallins at 15.
    2nd cap and based on last week I thought he looked shaky.

Again. Desperate

Anybody see some positives that I missed?!

• Advertisement

]Anybody see some positives that I missed?!

England scored 6 points against Scotland and looked completely out of ideas on how to establish themselves in the game against an aggressive Scottish defense and back row.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Hence Mallins at 15.

Again. Desperate

Comes under forward play, but line out and scrum have been excellent so far this 6 Nations. Itoje has made sh*t of our line out in the past so good test for it today, but it’s been extremely positive for us so far.

Also, Tadhg Furlong to nail down his Lions place?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭honestbroker

England scored 6 points against Scotland and looked completely out of ideas on how to establish themselves in the game against an aggressive Scottish defense and back row.

Agreed, England have improved though but so have we. Beating the current Scottish team in Edinburgh was never going to be easy, we did our homework and picked off the Scottish lineout same as they did to England. While England's kicking game and their ability to nullify ours has been a feature of the games since 2019 a slight change in tactics from us and most importantly a fast start could be enough to sow the seeds of doubt. After that anything can happen. A typical Stockdale intercept would be wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Yeah but against Worcester warriors every week, this is a step up.

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Yeah but against Worcester warriors every week, this is a step up.

Bristol play Worcester every week???
    Poor Worcester.

But anyway, scoring the winning try in the challenge Cup final against Toulon doesn't seem to count as a step up either

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hence Mallins at 15.

Again. Desperate

Yeah, I thought Malins was a bit inconsistent last week, but it was his first cap, and he still had some good moments. Having seen him at club level he should be a threat, but obviously Six Nations and the Premiership are two different levels altogether.

I wonder how close Marchant was to coming straight in at 13. I reckon if it hadn't been a 6Ns match he might well have done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Hence Mallins at 15.

Again. Desperate

Our defensive lineout is a weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Not at all what you said earlier...

What I said earlier is our lack of depth and quality at winger is alarming when Earls is still first choice winger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

kilns wrote: »
    What I said earlier is our lack of depth and quality at winger is alarming when Earls is still first choice winger

If Conway's form hadn't fallen off a cliff and Stockdale was fit he wouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Hence Mallins at 15.

Again. Desperate

Yes!!!! POM will make angry faces and scare the scrotes of the toff's. VDF will wear a blue scrumcap!! Eddie Jones will accuse us of cynical tactics!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

England ate 4/6 with the bookies to win, so we are underdogs which suits us

Bristol play Worcester every week???
    Poor Worcester.

But anyway, scoring the winning try in the challenge Cup final against Toulon doesn't seem to count as a step up either

But isn’t that narrative when one of our youngsters impress? Except swap in Benetton/Zebre/Dragons in for Worcester.

Yay one try in one big match again a past it Toulon side, get him in the Lions XV.

And I see the hyperbole disease is infecting the forum again....

Why can't people just be honest when making a point and actually check to see what they are arguing against

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

Ireland to win today. You heard it here first.

And I see the hyperbole disease is infecting the forum again....

Why can't people just be honest when making a point and actually check to see what they are arguing against

Is hyberbole picking someone in a team because of a try they scored 8 months ago?

Is hyberbole picking someone in a team because of a try they scored 8 months ago?

^
    That's hyperbole.

Youve gone so far down the rabbit hole you've no idea where you are

Define how exactly it’s Hyberbole?

You said he plays Worcester Warriors every week, which he does not.

Then it was pointed out he obviously doesn't and even had a big impact in a European game.

Then you claimed someone said he's in the team because he scored a try 8 months ago, which no one did.

I mean if you can't see it, I'd be very concerned for you.

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nice to see Ned Flanders on the panel.

Advertisement