Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭honestbroker

I would feel a bit silly myself!

Pace and footwork, class finish by the 33 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

tbm wrote: »
    Didn’t see much vim in that Irish team running out.

They look a beaten already.

It’s going to be a long afternoon but I hope they put in a
    performance for CJ.

This aged great.

Came here to say I was 100% wrong about Tadhg Beirne at second row.

English tight five eaten alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Best Irish performance in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Almost but not quite. The prospect of watching England pummel Ireland again doesn't fill me with joy though.

Shut the f*ck up, Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Great win. Seems like an age since we played with that level of intensity.

Catt needs to be fired. Our attacking play is ****e, and isn't close to getting the best of the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There are some positives to take from this tournament. Henshaw and Beirne are in career best form. Sexton, when fit, can still be an excellent player. Hugo Keenan has cemented his position as our long term fullback. And the pack as a whole are a disciplined, well drilled unit that can match up to any side in Europe.

Negatives come from our backplay. They simply aren't performing to the sum of our parts. They weren't used much today, but throughout the championship we've seen so little. That's down to coaching mostly, but other than Keenan I don't think any player has done their prospects much good. Going to leave Earls out of this as he won't be around much longer. Lowe was poor and Stockdale was almost as bad today.

Six nations aside - we needed to put England away today. The 2019 six nations loss set us off on a bad run against them but it also was the first game in the general demise of the Schmidt era.

Demolishing them today is one way that we can reverse that trend and become a top 4 team again.

Funny old match though, we looked all at sea until that first try. Very much enjoyed it however and for sure it was not the result I was expecting. Going to go and have a few beers now and reflect on some of the missed chances.

We absolutely could have beaten Wales and had we won that I feel we'd have turned over France.

All the same - I'm just glad we've had some sport to get us through the madness, losing a six nations is better than no six nations.

Have a nice evening folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Henshaw, Henderson and Beirne have surely now played themselves into Gatland's test 23. Phenomenal performances from all 3.

Furlong was a certainy before today and he's just cemented it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

one great thing to come out of this 6N is Hugo Keenans step up to our new International full back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭crossman47

TRC10 wrote: »
    Henshaw, Henderson and Beirne have surely now played themselves into Gatland's test 23. Phenomenal performances from all 3.

Furlong was a certainy before today and he's just cemented it.

I think Murray may well have also. Where's his competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Clegg wrote: »
    There are some positives to take from this tournament. Henshaw and Beirne are in career best form. Sexton, when fit, can still be an excellent player. Hugo Keenan has cemented his position as our long term fullback. And the pack as a whole are a disciplined, well drilled unit that can match up to any side in Europe.

Negatives come from our backplay. They simply aren't performing to the sum of our parts. They weren't used much today, but throughout the championship we've seen so little. That's down to coaching mostly, but other than Keenan I don't think any player has done their prospects much good. Going to leave Earls out of this as he won't be around much longer. Lowe was poor and Stockdale was almost as bad today.

Henshaw has been pretty much brilliant in every game of this six nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

crossman47 wrote: »

Murray made some poor errors in the first 15 minutes. He had a couple of passes to the deck. Going down the blindside early was a mistake, there was no space and got Henshaw bundled into touch. And letting that high ball bounce in the 22 was criminal.

But he had a solid game after that. And Gatland does like him so you never know, and no other 9s have really put their hands up.

Sexton's chances were looking slim but in the last 2 weeks he's really played himself back into contention for the test team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Had a good game today but some of his passing was awful and possibly cost us good attacking positions.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

In the Irish 21 shirt today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

sydthebeat wrote: »

Lions? Not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Telling that JGP didn't come on for the last five - sticking Keenan at 9

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I won't get carried away by this win. All through the Six Nations England have killed themselves with penalties and they did that again today.
    This win had as much to do with the ill discipline of the opposition as it had to do with the performance of the Irish players.

Not really

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Erh not at all.

13 men, who do you take off for Murray getting carded.

Telling last weekend that Murray didn't get onto the pitch at all.

Very much horses for courses, which is great to see with the coaches

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Erh not at all.

13 men, who do you take off for Murray getting carded.

Telling last weekend that Murray didn't get onto the pitch at all.

Very much horses for courses, which is great to see with the coaches

Yeah tbf Farrell did say Murray is a big game player...and they don't come any bigger than this in the 6N

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Jesus to say Stockdale was as bad as Lowe was last week is reaching.
    One read on a 2 against 1 (where as Syd rightly pointed out a second earlier and he tackles Billy V without the ball). A dodgy hand out could have resulted in a deliberate knock on - yellow card penalty try.

While he didn't cover himself in glory there he was solid enough the rest of the game.

I'd be interested to hear Niall@09's take on the game.
    He's been incredibly harsh on the team and the coaching ticket.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Jesus to say Stockdale was as bad as Lowe was last week is reaching.
    One read on a 2 against 1 (where as Syd rightly pointed out a second earlier and he tackles Billy V without the ball). A dodgy hand out could have resulted in a deliberate knock on - yellow card penalty try.

While he didn't cover himself in glory there he was solid enough the rest of the game.

It's hardly a reach. Stockdale made the decision to do nothing and wave in an England try. I don't see how we can absolve one player for conceding a try but heap abuse on another.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd be interested to hear Niall@09's take on the game.
    He's been incredibly harsh on the team and the coaching ticket.

Do you mean, hold on, wait a second there mfceiling.

Are you saying Niall09 is MIA after a great Ireland victory?!

baloney.jpg

Our exit from the 2019 World Cup is still the nadir for the rugby forum. So many new accounts and re-reg accounts coming in to pile on the team.

It's clear they were waiting for years to do it, but couldn't because up to that point we had been successful.

Odd championship really. I think we would have beat Wales if POM had not got sent off and we only lost by a couple to France. It could have been very different and although before today we have hardly set the world alight we could have been right in the mix with just a couple of things done different.

It's hardly a reach. Stockdale made the decision to do nothing and wave in an England try. I don't see how we can absolve one player for conceding a try but heap abuse on another.

It was a no win for any winger to be left with. As pointed out...a second earlier and it's tackling man without ball. A hand thrown out and it's a deliberate knock on and a yellow card. The pass completely took out all options.

Lowe's defence display last week was atrocious. Players running at him and he just never bothered anything.

I guarantee Lowe in that same scenario as Stockdale's today would have been the same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

:pac:

is that a joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It was a no win for any winger to be left with. As pointed out...a second earlier and it's tackling man without ball. A hand thrown out and it's a deliberate knock on and a yellow card. The pass completely took out all options.

Lowe's defence display last week was atrocious. Players running at him and he just never bothered anything.

I guarantee Lowe in that same scenario as Stockdale's today would have been the same result.

I agree with that last bit. And then he'd have gotten a crap load of grief for it. So Stockdale getting grief is just more of the same stuff. At least we're getting consistency I suppose.

Advertisement