Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

molloyjh wrote: »
    I agree with that last bit. And then he'd have gotten a crap load of grief for it. So Stockdale getting grief is just more of the same stuff. At least we're getting consistency I suppose.

Yes. It's about time Stockdale got some grief.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wales are making so many good metres against a French defence that we found almost impossible to breach.

There's still so much work we need to do to improve our attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    I won't get carried away by this win. All through the Six Nations England have killed themselves with penalties and they did that again today.
    This win had as much to do with the ill discipline of the opposition as it had to do with the performance of the Irish players.

You wouldn't get carried away unless.we got pummelled.

It's amazing that any performance from Ireland is never the right type of performance for some.

Why do the likes of you bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Christ.

Yes that was the point :rolleyes:

stephen_n wrote: »

Was it? It seemed to be about poor aul' James Lowe getting criticised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

On Stockdale, it was a 2 on 1 for England.

He maybe could have pressured George and forced a poor pass, but ultimately, if England didn't score there it would have been absolutely criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Was it? It seemed to be about poor aul' James Lowe getting criticised.
    Was it, I thought it was about being consistent. As in not one set of rules for the player that you happen to favor. But hey ho!

stephen_n wrote: »

If It Was JAmes LoWe, He'd be geTTing a hard TiME!

Unlike Jacob "gets an armchair ride" Stockdale.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Christ.

I think you've read something into that post that isn't there...

I think you've read something into that post that isn't there...

Just seemed very moany. Anyway, this Wales France game is cracking.

• Advertisement

Just seemed very moany. Anyway, this Wales France game is cracking.

Then thats just how you read it. My post was simply a "nothing to see here" post. Both players made mistakes, both players got grief. There's no real issue there because it's the same reaction to the same mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Well don't we all look like fools!!

Irelands best performance since Twickenham 2018, the score line flatters England

Then thats just how you read it. My post was simply a "nothing to see here" post. Both players made mistakes, both players got grief. There's no real issue there because it's the same reaction to the same mistake.

I'm not really vexed about consistency in getting grief on rugby.ie.

But agreed.

I'm not really vexed about consistency in getting grief on rugby.ie.

But agreed.

Yeah, there's no need for it. But we ain't gonna change it so no point in worrying about it. It's been a good day so I'm grabbing a beer! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I made the point on the match thread, absolutely silly, given the performance and result to be nit picking about the England try. As a Leinster man, I have no doubt who the better player is and that’s Jacob Stockdale. He didn’t have a particularly good game today, he did what was asked off him and made a good decision for Conan try. It would be incredibly hard to pull him up on the England try compared to some of Lowe’s defensive errors across a number of games. I have no doubt Lowe will improve, and learn from this Six Nations. To be a force on the world game, we are going to need all our players, on form and playing well. We have got to take off our provincial goggles when it comes to Ireland. It’s been a great day. Better times ahead.

Yeah, there's no need for it. But we ain't gonna change it so no point in worrying about it. It's been a good day so I'm grabbing a beer! :pac:

Good call. I've started on the whiskey and this France-Wales game is massively entertaining.

Stating the obvious here but we're really going to miss Sexton when he's gone. I don't think he's had a brilliant tournament, but against England he was back to near his best. He took the ball flatter and ran more to commit defenders. That on the fly re-adjustment from a pass to the chip through for the disallowed try was a great moment of innovation.

I think we've a major dysfunction in our backline, but that's more of a coaching issue. As an individual that was his best performance since 2018. There isn't another 10 in the country who comes close to.matxhing his skillset and big game temperament. I've high hopes for Carbery and H Byrne. But the former needs to stay fit and also his game management. The latter just needs more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah tbf Farrell did say Murray is a big game player...and they don't come any bigger than this in the 6N

Just taking the end of Farrell’s quote leaves out the important context that JGP had played 80 minutes back to back. He didn’t JUST say that Murray is a big game player.

It’s interesting that Farrell used his 9 for 80 minutes 3 games in a row. That’s pretty unique for a coach. Seems it wasn’t just some indictment of Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You wouldn't get carried away unless.we got pummelled.

It's amazing that any performance from Ireland is never the right type of performance for some.

Why do the likes of you bother?

Lol, I've often praised players even in defeat. There were some great performances today. I was very impressed by Henshaw, Beirne, Sexton and Furlong.
    The reality us though that the game was handed to us on a plate by ill discipline from the opposition.

Very frustrating Six Nations from an Irish perspective. I think our forwards compare very favourably to any other pack in the competition. We are extremely well drilled and a huge turnover threat on opposition lineout and ruck ball. And that's without having Doris, one of our best forwards, available to us. We've integrated Baird and Kelleher into the side and they'll be mainstays in squad for years.

I think we've hit on our perfect 4/5/6 in Ryan, Henderson and Beirne. They have skillsets that compliment each other. They're all good in the air, at the ruck and have high work rates. Themselves and Furlong should be the first names on the team sheet.

It's just a shame our attacking structure can't capitalise on the good work our forwards are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

After this weekend if you're Warren Gatland you know who you want leading your team at 10. Despite being not as good as he used to be he is still the benchmark for 10s in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Clegg wrote: »
    Very frustrating Six Nations from an Irish perspective. I think our forwards compare very favourably to any other pack in the competition. We are extremely well drilled and a huge turnover threat on opposition lineout and ruck ball. And that's without having Doris, one of our best forwards, available to us. We've integrated Baird and Kelleher into the side and they'll be mainstays in squad for years.

I think we've hit on our perfect 4/5/6 in Ryan, Henderson and Beirne. They have skillsets that compliment each other. They're all good in the air, at the ruck and have high work rates. Themselves and Furlong should be the first names on the team sheet.

It's just a shame our attacking structure can't capitalise on the good work our forwards are doing.

To be fair Ryan wasn't playing, he's been too focused on Maro Itoje at times. Beirne and Hendo just played their game and didn't bother focusing on stuff they couldn't control and in doing this outplayed their opposite numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

To be fair Ryan wasn't playing, he's been too focused on Maro Itoje at times. Beirne and Hendo just played their game and didn't bother focusing on stuff they couldn't control and in doing this outplayed their opposite numbers.

Funny, very funny

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What a strange comment

You use something you ASSUME a player WOULD do if he was playing, as something to castigate him for.... Even though he wasn't playing.

That is taking strawmanning to another level altogether

What I am saying is that Beirne and Henderson did a better job as a second row pairing than Ryan did in his last few games versus England.

What I am saying is that Beirne and Henderson did a better job as a second row pairing than Ryan did in his last few games versus England.

Fair comment, if Ryan had taken on the whole England team by himself.

But its a team sport.... And different teams play against each other all the time.

Refs actually reffing itoje makes more of difference against England... What did he end up with?? Something like 13 pens against him over the 5 games?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Fair comment, if Ryan had taken on the whole England team by himself.

But its a team sport.... And different teams play against each other all the time.

Refs actually reffing itoje makes more of difference against England... What did he end up with?? Something like 13 pens against him over the 5 games?

What are YOU trying to say? Why would you think that Ryan takes on teams on his own? Very strange comment. What I am saying is that Ryan has been ineffective against England whereas Beirne and Henderson as pairing has resided over a pretty huge tonking of England. I think it's apparent in at least in the last game vs England, that Ryan allowed himself to get too involved in some sort of competition with Itoje, which he lost. In fact he could well have been shown a yellow or red in the last game. I know you probably think Ryan is the second coming, but I'm just saying maybe you're wrong.

Do you not see the dichotomy in this statement?

Pair A+B performed better as a pair than C his on his own

I know you're trolling but I'll answer in good faith. In the time that all three were on the field together I think the Irish pack performed to close to its very best. Henderson and Ryan were very proactive at ruck time with Henderson doing a lot of tackle duty and Ryan pilfering a lot of Scottish lineout ball. This freed Beirne up to wreak havoc at the breakdown and carry freely in wider channels.

When all three are on the pitch Ireland plays better.

• Advertisement

... I think it's apparent in at least in the last game vs England, that Ryan allowed himself to get too involved in some sort of competition with Itoje, which he lost. In fact he could well have been shown a yellow or red in the last game...

Again...

Here you are using something you are assuming as something to castigate a player.

That's a very strange position to take

Advertisement