Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Who’s Ciaran Barron btw? There’s Diarmuid Barron but he’s a hooker!

Haha good point, it’s Cian Hurley. Ciaran Barron is a mechanic in Clonakilty I think, equally promising future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Brewster wrote: »
    I think we are very lucky to have the players we have. There is little to choose between them. Ryan was outshone by other two this Six Nations, but it will likely be reversed the next time out. He was unlucky with two concussive incidents. I think the captaincy will probably be a shoot out between Hendy and Ryan when the time comes.

We have struggled with competition in the second row. We now have Ryan, Baird, Hendo, Beirne, Dillane and Roux. That is good competition and all top quality.
    Personally I think Beirne is better at 6 and would like to see him move to that position.

Then its 7&8. At this stage Doris & Conan I think are the first choice with Connors on the bench. VDF around the squad for specific games, he played well yesterday but he always plays well. Just everyone forgets about him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sebdavis wrote: »
    We have struggled with competition in the second row. We now have Ryan, Baird, Hendo, Beirne, Dillane and Roux. That is good competition and all top quality.
    Personally I think Beirne is better at 6 and would like to see him move to that position.

Then its 7&8. At this stage Doris & Conan I think are the first choice with Connors on the bench. VDF around the squad for specific games, he played well yesterday but he always plays well. Just everyone forgets about him.

Have Doris or Conan ever played 7? Can’t see that happening tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’ve mentioned a couple of times that I think the backrow was unbalanced, it has been less than the sum of its parts for a few years. Now I honestly don’t have a clue what'd work but I’d like to see Beirne, Connors and Doris get some games together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think we are in a place now where we are loaded in several areas and are possibly weak in others. Take the centers. It's Aki, Henshaw and Ringrose. The drop to Farrell and McCloskey is fairly small, but it's noticeable. After those lads there's nobody really in the picture. The younger players are not demanding inclusion like Ringrose did or Henshaw or Aki.
    Outhalf is similar. It's Sexton, Carberry if he returns to fitness and then it falls off substantially. At this point, I think RB has reached his ceiling and Burns is probably reached his. HB and Healy are not near the level required yet.
    But, we are finally looking good at fb. Keenan is a good find. Addison a possible solution as is Haley. I think J.O.B will at some point come into the conversation too.
    Overall, the squad whilst not firing on all cylinders, is looking fairly good. Then, the question of coaching! Is anyone convinced that Catt can get the backline firing. I would guess that his impact so far has been negative. There's no rhyme or reason for the constant poor play. I would think it's coaching.
    If there is a summer tour, I think we really do need one, I would expect a vastly improved backline unit. If not, the coaching is the problem. Would Farrell dump an underperforming friend? I think he should and I think he should now. We have seen nothing that would alarm any top side. It's quite strange really, the pack suddenly appear to be seal team 6 and the back line look like the Derry girls!
    Delighted to have stuffed EJ. He certainly got his clock cleaned this year. England look worse than we did. They had no answer to anything except v France and their effort v Scotland was probably the worst England performance in years. We got over on them and strangled the snot out of them. Awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

salmocab wrote: »
    I’ve mentioned a couple of times that I think the backrow was unbalanced, it has been less than the sum of its parts for a few years. Now I honestly don’t have a clue what'd work but I’d like to see Beirne, Connors and Doris get some games together.

You’ll be waiting a while, Doris to follow cj into retirement I’d say unfortunately

aloooof wrote: »
    Have Doris or Conan ever played 7? Can’t see that happening tbh.

Conan at 8 and Doris at 7

Why would we do that?

Why would we do that?

Why not?
    I am talking of back row of Conan, Doris, Beirne....mix and match how you like

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The whole team was a disaster in the last few games v England yet you pick out Ryan.
    This was 6 nations game: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/23/england-24-12-ireland-six-nations-player-ratings-from-twickenham

The guardian ratings for yesterday's game are absolutely ludicrous.

• Advertisement

The guardian ratings for yesterday's game are absolutely ludicrous.

These ones: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/20/ireland-england-player-ratings-six-nations-rugby-union

Very positive for Ireland I must admit

Why not?
    I am talking of back row of Conan, Doris, Beirne....mix and match how you like

But who in the pack leads the defensive line, filling the role of Connors or VDF?

I could see it happening if Doris or Conan changed the way they play completely

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Why would anyone read The Guardian?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Barron is a mechanic in Clonakilty I think, equally promising future

Can he play tighthead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Madness, Doris and Conan are no.8s. Connors and JvdF are our options at 7. POM at 7 then if we're stuck. We have this going forward:

6: Beirne, POM, Ruddock, Coombes.
    7: Connors, JvdF, POM, Penney (perhaps)
    8. Doris, Conan, Coombes.

Baird is being looked at for the 2nd row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

They gave elliot daily a 4/10. He was one of the best players on the field. Won his kicking battle and carried dangerous ball past defenders to safety a few times. With these player ratings they can really let the result dictate individual performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

almostover wrote: »
    Madness, Doris and Conan are no.8s. Connors and JvdF are our options at 7. POM at 7 then if we're stuck. We have this going forward:

To be fair, Doris is perfectly comfortable at 6 or 8 and has played very well at both. However his concussion troubles are a real worry. Hopefully he gets over it but it's a tricky one.

Beirne has well and truly put to bed the notion that he's "too small for 2nd row". I'm happy for him to be an option at 6, but I think we really gain something from having him in the engine room. We basically have an extra back rower, which we don't if he's at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Chiming in as a neutral to say Earls is severely underrated. Initially saw him being bumped by Gear way back in 2013(?) and thought too small for international rugby. But he is still looking sharp which is no mean feat for a wing of his age.

hahashake wrote: »
    Chiming in as a neutral to say Earls is severely underrated. Initially saw him being bumped by Gear way back in 2013(?) and thought too small for international rugby. But he is still looking sharp which is no mean feat for a wing of his age.

Is he a small player or a large muscle fibre?

I don't think Earls is underrated. I think the majority of Irish rugby fans will tell you he is a fantastic player. I think all of us would wish he was about 5 years younger. It will be a sad day when he retires

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

Gear's elbow would be a red card the days.

It's an opinion, no need to get all high and mighty. Just like your is an opinion

They gave elliot daily a 4/10. He was one of the best players on the field. Won his kicking battle and carried dangerous ball past defenders to safety a few times. With these player ratings they can really let the result dictate individual performance.

I didn't bother going to the English ratings, it was going to be bad when they put such a positive spin on the Irish players

I didn't bother going to the English ratings, it was going to be bad when they put such a positive spin on the Irish players

It's always the same in sport, you are never as bad as they say you are when you lose and you are never as good as they say you are when you win.

It's always the same in sport, you are never as bad as they say you are when you lose and you are never as good as they say you are when you win.

In the first 20 odd mins of the match it was looking bad for Ireland, people forget that. It was a good win but lets not get ahead of ourselves. For some people eithe r we are top of the World or bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

It was great to see Sexton play so well in the last two games. He definitely proved he's still our best 10. But the reality is he's 36 in June and we desperately need to build our depth at 10.

It's crucial that there's an Ireland tour in the Summer. So hopefully Carbery and H.Byrne will go as the two 10s with Carbery getting 2 starts and Byrne starting 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I don't think Earls is underrated. I think the majority of Irish rugby fans will tell you he is a fantastic player. I think all of us would wish he was about 5 years younger. It will be a sad day when he retires

Underrated outside Ireland then.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

almostover wrote:
    6: Beirne, POM, Ruddock, Coombes. 7: Connors, JvdF, POM, Penney (perhaps) 8. Doris, Conan, Coombes.

No Max Deegan? I know he's injured but Doris is out as well. I'd have Deegan ahead of Conan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

With Stander retired, I think Ruddock is a better shout at 6 than Beirne. Let Beirne play in the row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Going to hijack for a min, anyone know the sequence of games for 6N 2022 or when it will be out? Had Paris booked for last yr but alas.. Hoping to book Paris for '22.

Advertisement