Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't see a summer tour happening but there's no way they take a squad as callow as that. A Jamie Osborne wouldn't travel ahead of Shane Daly or Mike Haley either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Healy kilcoyne o Sullivan
    Herring Kelleher Sheehan
    Bealham tot Ryan

Dillane Wycherley
    Baird Thornbury

Pom Coombes
    Connors vdf
    Doris(?) Conan boyle

Jgp Casey marmion
    Carbery burns Carty/Byrne

Bundee Daly
    Ringrose Farrell

Stockdale Lowe
    Keenan JOB/ Haley/Daly
    Earls balacoune

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That squad would be a stretch for a Wolfhounds tour, never mind a national team tour.

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Has there been a summer tour announced this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »

The tour is due to go to the Pacific Islands which is extremely unlikely, I'd imagine. They're reliant on the Covax scheme and only Fiji only received their first batch of 12,000 doses recently.

Hopefully there's some sort of contingency plan available such as playing the game in Ireland or a neutral venue but I'd imagine the most likely scenario at the moment is for the games simply to be cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Why no Larmour?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's going to be like the Lions tour, tour at home, Ireland v the rest of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Why no Ross Byrne or Billy B

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

no... as of right now

originally a tour to Australia was muted but is deemed extremely unlikely at this stage.

edit: pacific islands.. knew it was down around there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

VANG1 wrote: »
    Why no Larmour?

Jesus I completely forgot Larmour. Yeah he'd obviously be in there

• Advertisement

VANG1 wrote: »
    Why no Ross Byrne or Billy B

Carbey and Harry Byrne are both better

TRC10 wrote: »
    Carbey and Harry Byrne are both better

Yet he's behind Ross in both the Ireland and Leinster squads

Not for long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

sydthebeat wrote: »
    no... as of right now

originally a tour to Australia was muted but is deemed extremely unlikely at this stage.

edit: pacific islands.. knew it was down around there somewhere

They kept that very quiet......:D:D:D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Phonetics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Phonetics :D

Moot point...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Great win for Ireland on Saturday.

Have to say I didn't fancy you to beat them but the KE try (nice one too) changed the game. England fell apart & Ireland kicked on.

Interestingly though .... that was 'old style' Ireland. Back to a previous conversation on this thread .... how should Ireland play? The back line is never going to set the world alight but you do have a good pack & decent half backs. [They both played well on Saturday].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

H Byrne is very young still and I would expect next season to jump R byrne and Sexton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Osborne doesn't even have a Leinster academy contract - never mind calling him up to the Irish squad. I'd say move Lowry back to the OB category and bring in Carty or Ross.

Some nice selections aside from that though. The bias in me would have a Munster booker ahead of Sheehan, probably KOB, but maybe Farrell thinks he's past his sell by date. Maybe if O'Mahony has a long Munster campaign he's replaced by Paul Boyle in the squad too. Don't know many young tight heads so wouldn't know anyone to come in for Knox (perhaps Aungier?)

McCloskey is another centre option as well as Chris Farrell. Tom Daly might also be worth a look

Yes he does.

He was promoted to the academy mid season and will be year 2 next year.

I also don't think he should be going on and Ireland tour lol

Yes he does.

For a tour of the Pacific island, why not lol.

James Ryan went in 2017 without playing for Leinster. Even if he doesn't even play, guys got a massive future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would go with
    Lh
    EOS
    E Byrne
    J Cronin

Hooker
    Herring, if not with lions
    Kelleher
    Andrew
    KOB

Tight head
    TOT
    Bealham
    MOORE. Playing great for Ulster

Locks
    Dillane
    THornbury
    Baird
    Ahern

Back row
    Boyle
    Coombes
    VDF
    Conan
    Ruddock
    Penney

Scrum half
    Casey
    Marmion
    JGP

Out half
    Carberry
    BURNS
    HB

Back five
    Addison
    Lowe
    Stockdale
    Larmour
    Balacoune
    Lyttle
    Keenan

Centers
    Frawley
    Farrel
    Hume
    Bundle

Mix of experience and youth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Yes he does.

Have Leinster come out and said that? I had presumed he was still in the NTS - as NTS players providing injury cover are allowed into the bubbles too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I didn't think this team was capable of beating England playing this kind of rugby. I really started to question the quality of our players, this just shows what they are capable of.

We have Carbery to come back into the next squad. H.Byrne will have more experience by then and will probably be included. Thomas Ahern got MoTM the other night and looks quality already, I expect him to be involved soon. I foresee big things from Cormac Isuchukwu who already has a few senior Ulster games and looks comfortable. We all know how good Coombes and Scott Penny are, it's only a matter of time before they get capped. I'm always impressed by Dan Sheehan, he just needs to play more. Balacoune will probably be involved in the next squad too. Maybe Will Addison gets fit again and offers another option.

I'm probably leaving out loads of lads, but there's plenty to be enthusiastic about.

That win really filled me up with allot more hope.
    Some points to sit alongside my optimism!

Reasons to be cautious for the next 6N:
    1. England were plain bad. Discipline & Kicking not at 2020 level. 6-2 bench backfired when Farrell went off.
    2. Farrell’s game plan & tactics are still ruck heavy, light on offloads and kicking away possession.
    3. Catt’s tactics also look light on imagination (esp. from scrums) and poorly executed. – England game excluded!
    4. Catt after France - “We’re happy with what we’re creating but then it’s the final pass or the final decision,” ALARM BELLS – See 3,5,6,7 & 13
    5. Inability to pass in the previous games (Ringrose & Henshaw) & decision to kick (Ringrose) – See 4 above. Coach should take responsibility.
    6. Inability to attack from turnovers and unstructured play. Coach should take responsibility.
    7. Complete reliance on Lineout to score tries. Even against Italy. ALARM BELLS
    8. Loose Head – Insufficient development & calibre behind Healy.
    9. Murray –I need to watch the game again but he looked good. Couple of poor passes. Is Casey the solution? He should be given starting roles in Nov.
    10. Sexton – A great day for him v England. I was truly happy for him to exorcise a few ghosts. Starting role & captaincy has to go to others in Nov. (Everything crossed for Carbery)
    11. Left wing – How can this be a problem position? Defensive frailties Lowe/Stockdale have to be improved. If Easterby cant should the system change? Or pick different players.
    12. Easterby – In 2018 Ireland still looked weak on the fringes. Even before that Les Kiss system was routinely exposed out wide.
    13. Ringrose is the best 13. Aki/Henshaw played excellent but can Catt get the best from Ringrose? He’s not been used as a strike runner, he’s not passing and he’s kicking away the ball.
    14. Earls - Exceptional against England. But like Sexton the starting role has to go to others in Nov. (Everything crossed for Baloucane)
    15. Keenan –The Garryowen is part of our DNA his take at the weekend was world class. He looks good defensively but can he bring more in attack? I still have hope for Larmour & would like to see Lowry permanently at FB for Ulster. Does Farrell just stick with Keenan?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Easterby would make a terrible inside centre to be fair.

If there is no summer tour, would the union have another type of series like the autumn series?
    I wonder if we could finally a tour to Oz. Meet the Pacific island team there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

2. Farrell’s game plan & tactics are still ruck heavy, light on offloads and kicking away possession.

In the England game our number of rucks was miiilllleeesss below what you'd expect of a continuity-Schmidt team, Murray touched the ball probably half the number of times as he could do, and we pulled out our best performance in a couple of years.

Edit - that reads like I'm blaming Murray for us playing badly, that isn't what I mean. The change in style is what I mean.

15. Keenan –The Garryowen is part of our DNA his take at the weekend was world class. He looks good defensively but can he bring more in attack? I still have hope for Larmour & would like to see Lowry permanently at FB for Ulster. Does Farrell just stick with Keenan?

Yes

Keenan's passing can improve, but I think his attacking game is seriously underrated.

He's a wonderfully balanced runner, has good feet and makes good yards on kick returns. He also picks great lines and his link up play is very good.

There was a moment in the Scotland game when Sexton made a break and began to drift cross field. You could see he clearly wanted Keenan to come back on the switch but he didn't identify it.

There are areas he can improve but I think he has the potential to be as good as Halfpenny or Liam Williams.

I've always thought Larmour is a far better winger, and with Keenan having nailed down the 15 shirt for Leinster, that's where Larmour will stay.

Lowry at 5'7 is probably too small to be an international 15. But I think he's a class act at 10 and I'd love to see him play more there for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Lowry and Casey as 9 and 10 for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Dubinusa wrote: »
    If there is no summer tour, would the union have another type of series like the autumn series?
    I wonder if we could finally a tour to Oz. Meet the Pacific island team there?

Dont see another autumn nations cup styled event. Games would be down south and too much travel for that.
    We had a tour to Australia in 2018. Its not that long ago.

• Advertisement

Dont see another autumn nations cup styled event. Games would be down south and too much travel for that.
    We had a tour to Australia in 2018. Its not that long ago.

I really
    hope there is some kind of tour! We have a little momentum and it would be great to try and add to that!

Advertisement