Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

salmocab wrote: »
    Or to stir sh1t

Zebo is a must to play FB this summer and/or autumn.......

Dave Kearney will surely be called up ahead of Zebo on form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I'm sure the fact that the IRFU are in part funding his wages with Munster means conversations have been had ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Don't see the harm in bringing in Zebo if there's a summer tour. We don't actually have a capable back up for Keenan at the moment. Stockdale and Larmour were tried there and it didn't work out and the other options don't inspire.

He'll be good to have as injury cover in the back three for a season or two.

A daily telegraph writer suggested Zebo for the lions a few weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

If Zebo hasn't pissed off the management team too much it'll be brilliant to be able to call on him, there shouldn't even be a debate about bringing him into a summer tour squad during a Lions year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I’d say Zebo will be playing LW for Munster.

I would want him at FB myself.
    Either way I’m delighted to see him back and it’s a great option for Ireland to have.
    I would hope he gets into the summer squad because Farrell clearly doesn’t really rate Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If Zebo hasn't pissed off the management team too much it'll be brilliant to be able to call on him, there shouldn't even be a debate about bringing him into a summer tour squad during a Lions year.

If Zebo had pissed off the management (the head of whom is no longer there) to the point where another cap wasn't on the table, there is no way the IRFU would co-fund this deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I'm not going to speculate... but I have a feeling that Zebo has been brought back to replace Conway...
    but if I'm wrong...in the back 3, we can choose from Gallagher, Haley, Zebo, Conway, Daly, Nash, Coombes & Earls....that's tasty by anyone's standards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If Zebo had pissed off the management (the head of whom is no longer there) to the point where another cap wasn't on the table, there is no way the IRFU would co-fund this deal.

Fair warning - I'm going to keep repeating this.

ALL provincial contracts are co-funded. The first 110k is kicked in by central branch, after that, it's up to the province.

The unusual thing about the Zebo deal is not that it's co-funded but that they all feel the need to clarify this.

As for the summer tour. Bringing a 31 year old to Samoa and wherever would seem to be of limited value since there is an opportunity cost in not bringing a younger guy.

But if Racing get to the latter stages of the Top 14 play-offs, he might not even be available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The comments from JvG/officialdom are absolutely bizarre. Why are they telling us he's here on the cheap and Munster aren't footing the bill? Leinster haven't even been saying how long all these contract renewals are (which is another extreme).

The comments from JvG/officialdom are absolutely bizarre. Why are they telling us he's here on the cheap and Munster aren't footing the bill? Leinster haven't even been saying how long all these contract renewals are (which is another extreme).

Munster are transparent. Leinster are opaque. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Leinster have never said how long contracts are in fairness. I think JVG and the media team are just trying to get out ahead of any criticism over paying for another back three player instead of spending the cash on the front row, especially since the announcement for JJ and Sweetnam both had mentions of finances being tight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yeah that is one way of looking at it. I find Leinster's lack of communication a bit annoying.

Yeah that is one way of looking at it. I find Leinster's lack of communication a bit annoying.

Leinster have done that for a few years I think. The central contracts from the IRFU which are announced seperately confirm contract lengths.

Connacht did similar to Leinster recently: https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-rugby-announce-contract-extensions-for-21-players/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Why bring Munster's porous defence into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I'm not going to speculate... but I have a feeling that Zebo has been brought back to replace Conway...
    but if I'm wrong...in the back 3, we can choose from Gallagher, Haley, Zebo, Conway, Daly, Nash, Coombes & Earls....that's tasty by anyone's standards

I know you have said you will not speculate but is he long term injured or is it something else ?

Fair warning - I'm going to keep repeating this.

ALL provincial contracts are co-funded. The first 110k is kicked in by central branch, after that, it's up to the province.

The unusual thing about the Zebo deal is not that it's co-funded but that they all feel the need to clarify this.

As for the summer tour. Bringing a 31 year old to Samoa and wherever would seem to be of limited value since there is an opportunity cost in not bringing a younger guy.

But if Racing get to the latter stages of the Top 14 play-offs, he might not even be available.

Where/when did you get that figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Zebo goes to the left wing... if he performs , Lowe and Stockdale could be fecked! I think Lowe could be the lower from this.
    Shane Daly is probably not having a great afternoon.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

I dont think Zebo pi**ed off the management. From Joe point of view it would seem Joe felt he had better options. He was playing/in squad till he signed for Racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Dubinusa wrote: »
    If Zebo goes to the left wing... if he performs , Lowe and Stockdale could be fecked.

Zebo 9 tries 35 caps Aged 31

Stockdale 18 tries 34 caps Aged 25

I wouldn't hold my breath on him being the Messiah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

sydthebeat wrote: »

So its down to approx 99k from the 110k Gerry Thornley figure of Jan is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

mfceiling wrote: »
    Zebo 9 tries 35 caps Aged 31

Stockdale 18 tries 34 caps Aged 25

I wouldn't hold my breath on him being the Messiah.

Lowe 1 try 6 caps Aged 28

Larmour 7 tries 29 caps aged 23

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Do we reckon Zebo tours the Islands this Summer?

Yes. North and South Uist are good. The beaches are sensational but Skye and Harris are glorious. Almost as good as West Cork.:D:D

Age is against Zebo. He'll be 33 by the next RWC.

If there is a tour in the summer I'd rather Ireland invested in someone like Baloucoune who could develop into an international.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Earlsie is still our best winger 33 right now - I've no doubt Zebo may have similar longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Imagine Lowe on one wing, zebo on the other and Stockdale at fb!!! The missed tackle count would be legendary! On top of that, Lowe and Zebo would give a masterclass of failing to hustle. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Imagine Lowe on one wing, zebo on the other and Stockdale at fb!!! The missed tackle count would be legendary! On top of that, Lowe and Zebo would give a masterclass of failing to hustle. Lol

You've spent too long in the USA

Advertisement