Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You've spent too long in the USA

Lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Lol!!

Dub LOVES the hustle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Earlsie is still our best winger 33 right now - I've no doubt Zebo may have similar longevity.

I doubt even Zebo would claim to be in the same bracket as Earls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Imagine Lowe on one wing, zebo on the other and Stockdale at fb!!! The missed tackle count would be legendary! On top of that, Lowe and Zebo would give a masterclass of failing to hustle. Lol

“The Shambolic Three”

I’d rather not imagine those three together.

In my humble opinion, Zebo is a waste of space and I don’t want to see him anywhere near the Irish set-up.

He’s a complete spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

“The Shambolic Three”

I’d rather not imagine those three together.

In my humble opinion, Zebo is a waste of space and I don’t want to see him anywhere near the Irish set-up.

He’s a complete spoofer.
    Spoofer :rolleyes:
    About 90 tries in 230 or so games for Ireland, Munster, Racing. Yes a complete spoofer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Don't bite.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

About 90 tries in 230 or so games for Ireland, Munster, Racing. Yes a complete spoofer...

I guess every manager he’s had fell for his spoofing to keep selecting him. Nothing to do with his ability.

9 tries for Ireland in 35 games.

4 of those came against the US Eagles, Georgia, plus Scotland and Wales in Summer warm-up games for the 2015 World Cup.

2 tries against Argentina, one on a Summer tour, fair enough.

1 against Wales in Cardiff, fair enough.

1 against Australia, fair enough.

1 against the All Blacks, fair enough.

Jacob Stockdale has twice as many tries in slightly less games.

Zebo is hype over substance. The guy just isn’t that good. Given his tweets etc, we should be in no rush to welcome him back. But in any event, there are far better players in contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Lazy troll is lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

9 tries for Ireland in 35 games.

4 of those came against the US Eagles, Georgia, plus Scotland and Wales in Summer warm-up games for the 2015 World Cup.

2 tries against Argentina, one on a Summer tour, fair enough.

1 against Wales in Cardiff, fair enough.

1 against Australia, fair enough.

1 against the All Blacks, fair enough.

Jacob Stockdale has twice as many tries in slightly less games.

Zebo is hype over substance. The guy just isn’t that good. Given his tweets etc, we should be in no rush to welcome him back. But in any event, there are far better players in contention.

What if I told you, 21 of Earls' 34 Ireland tries in 93 caps came against tier 2 nations.

• Advertisement

TRC10 wrote: »
    What if I told you, 21 of Earls' 34 Ireland tries in 93 caps came against tier 2 nations.

You’re making my argument for me!

The point is that:

- Earls has 34 in 93
    - That’s a lot better than Zebo’s 9 in 45
    - In fact, it’s not far off being twice as prolific
    - Plus Earls has spent quite a bit of time playing in the centre

I’d argue that Earls remains underrated, whereas Zebo is overrated.

I know who’d I’d rely on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

What if I told you that scoring trys was only one part of being a winger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

You’re making my argument for me!

The point is that:

- Earls has 34 in 93
    - That’s a lot better than Zebo’s 9 in 45
    - In fact, it’s not far off being twice as prolific
    - Plus Earls has spent quite a bit of time playing in the centre

I’d argue that Earls remains underrated, whereas Zebo is overrated.

I know who’d I’d rely on.

I wasn't arguing against you, I was just curious to see how you'd react to that stat.

But in all seriousness, when you call the guy who became the all time top try scorer for one of the worlds most prestigious rugby clubs aged 26 and went on a Lions tour "a spoofer", you lose pretty much all credibility.

60 tries in 144 Munster games, and 21 tries in 55 Racing games (mostly at 15) is a pretty great return. And it proves that his less than spectacular strike rate at international level is more down to Ireland's style of play, rather than him being "a spoofer".

If you think Zebo is a "waste of space", I'd seriously doubt you have any concept of talent or appreciation of rugby playing ability. Zebo does things that no Irish players have ever been able to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can I recycle this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Zebo is a very good player and this is a great signing for Munster, but...
    Zebo does things that no Irish players have ever been able to do.

This just isn't true.

Zebo does things that no Irish players have ever been able to do

Ah, come one.

That’s exactly the hype I’m talking about.

He’s just an average provincial-level winger with very little, if anything, to add at international level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Ah, come one.

That’s exactly the hype I’m talking about.

He’s just an average provincial-level winger with very little, if anything, to add at international level.

No, he does have the ability to create chances out of nothing, we lost a very good player when he went to Racing..... we're getting a better one back....
    If people had been watching the Top14 they'd understand what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If people had been watching the Top14 they'd understand what I mean

Which performance for Racing this season that you watched best sums up this ability to do something that no other Irish winger can do?

Which performance for Racing this season that you watched best sums up this ability to do something that no other Irish winger can do?

Can you quote where I said that... it's too early in the day for strawmanning

• Advertisement

Can you quote where I said that... it's too early in the day for strawmanning

The post you replied to was disagreeing with someone saying Zebo can do things no Irish player can do.

Maybe you just agree that he can't, and if he could he would have had a much more successful career at higher levels

The post you replied to was disagreeing with someone saying Zebo can do things no Irish player can do.

Maybe you just agree that he can't, and if he could he would have had a much more successful career at higher levels

I was replying to a post that stated Zebo is an average provincial player tat would being nothing to the international stage

I was replying to a post that stated Zebo is an average provincial player tat would being nothing to the international stage

Little to add at international level. We'll see if he proves that wrong over the next year, but I asked you what recent Racing performance in the Top 14 from him you saw that would suggest otherwise?

Little to add at international level. We'll see if he proves that wrong over the next year, but I asked you what recent Racing performance in the Top 14 from him you saw that would suggest otherwise?

"Average provincial player" which is completely incorrect, no matter how one eyed a supporter is
    Actually, the 2 that stand out in my mind right now are both Heineken cup games :)
    Although he was damn good against Clermont in their away victory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

I wonder did Zebo give any thought to how his moving back to Munster would impact Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The first Lowe v Zebo selection debate will be just lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

The first Lowe v Zebo selection debate will be just lovely

Dave Kearney's backup is a key position and should lead to plenty of debate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Since the Top 14 is not televised here, I doubt anyone knows one way or the other how well he's been playing.

However, we do know that Racing declined to give him a new contract.

The only explanation is that he was playing so well that it was affecting the self esteem of his team mates, so he had to go for the greater good of the squad. Not sure what else it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Since the Top 14 is not televised here, I doubt anyone knows one way or the other how well he's been playing.

With this new internet thing, it's actually quite easy to watch sport that isnt televised in Ireland :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This is the problem with the Zebo argument. This is just not true:
    Zebo does things that no Irish players have ever been able to do.

But then neither is this:
    He’s just an average provincial-level winger

Advertisement