Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

molloyjh wrote: »
    And so ends the Age of Relative Peace. The Age of Zebo vs Lowe has begun. Great. Just bloody great.

I honestly think it will be a short but bloody conflict. I don't think either of these guys are what Ireland need to move on and they'll be overtaken pretty soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

And so ends the Age of Relative Peace. The Age of Zebo vs Lowe has begun. Great. Just bloody great.

Ah look, it's not really going to happen..one is an overweight workshy showpony,
    .......the other is Simon Zebo

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ah here, enjoy it. It won't last too long. Soon youse will be backing each other up, calling for the inclusion of both players as the Age of Stockdale, Baloucoune and Lowry/McIlroy dawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I am looking forward to the news of Rob Kearney's return to Leinster to settle the debate of Ireland's fullback once and for all. #4moreyears

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah here, enjoy it. It won't last too long. Soon youse will be backing each other up, calling for the inclusion of both players as the Age of Stockdale, Baloucoune and Lowry/McIlroy dawns.

I'm fully signed up to the Baloucoune hype train for the record. Lowry looks great, but probably a bit small for international level. I'd be totally okay with a Baloucoune-Stockdale-Keenan back 3 as it stands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Wait, all that POM stuff was relative peace???

*unfollows thread*

;)

I'm fully signed up to the Baloucoune hype train for the record. Lowry looks great, but probably a bit small for international level. I'd be totally okay with a Baloucoune-Stockdale-Keenan back 3 as it stands.

I'd like to see Lowry given a crack. I completely understand folks' concerns, and wouldn't be overly shocked if he does simply prove too light, but I think he's earned the opportunity to be tested, if there is indeed a tour this summer.

While Stockdale doesn't look as shell-shocked as he did in 2019, he's still not back to former glories. Baloucoune was Ulster's best wing last season.

Sorry - needless to say, all three are better than Lowe and Zebo.

#leavethethreadinthestateyoufoundit

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebo returning to Ireland to teach Lowe how to tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Zebo returning to Ireland to reach Lowe how to tackle.

If he reaches too low his pants will split

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

salmocab wrote: »
    If he reaches too low his pants will split

FFS, can't you give five seconds to edit?

I'd like to see Lowry given a crack. I completely understand folks' concerns, and wouldn't be overly shocked if he does simply prove too light, but I think he's earned the opportunity to be tested, if there is indeed a tour this summer.

While Stockdale doesn't look as shell-shocked as he did in 2019, he's still not back to former glories. Baloucoune was Ulster's best wing last season.

Farrell has been pretty willing to give new guys a go as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Lowry and Balacoune got game time ahead of Zebo or Lowe if there is a Summer tour.

FFS, can't you give five seconds to edit?

Don't do it, Salmo.

If you see any sort of inconsequential mistake, typo or slip-up, POUNCE.

It's what the God of Forumming wants.

aloooof wrote: »
    Farrell has been pretty willing to give new guys a go as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Lowry and Balacoune got game time ahead of Zebo or Lowe if there is a Summer tour.

Hope so.

I think there's a number of exciting young players around the provinces that should be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Don't do it, Salmo.

If you see any sort of inconsequential mistake, typo or slip-up, PONCE.

The God of Forumming wants us to be ponces? That isn't very 2021.

Sangre wrote: »
    The God of Forumming wants us to be ponces? That isn't very 2021.

Immediately thought of Withnail and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Don't do it, Salmo.

If you see any sort of inconsequential mistake, typo or slip-up, POUNCE.

Don’t worry I’ll continue to be vigilant over people’s minor mistakes.

If...and I mean if...Tadhg Furlong leaves Ireland....is he as valuable to the Irish setup as Sexton in his prime...or does he fall into the "goodbye & thanks" brigade..and Porter steps in permanently.
    It would make sense of the new crusaders signing right enough.... interesting times ahead ...

If...and I mean if...Tadhg Furlong leaves Ireland....is he as valuable to the Irish setup as Sexton in his prime...or does he fall into the "goodbye & thanks" brigade..and Porter steps in permanently.
    It would make sense of the new crusaders signing right enough.... interesting times ahead ...

For me, he's in the Sexton bracket. But I don't see him leaving.

aloooof wrote: »
    For me, he's in the Sexton bracket. But I don't see him leaving.

True...he can't leave if Porter is coming to Munster

;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Goodbye and good luck.

I don’t see the Sexton deal ever being repeated (unless/until many more Irish players are abroad). Though I remember some on here suggesting exceptions might be made for Ian Madigan!

Sexton also had clauses to allow him back for training camps that clubs very unlikely to offer again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

If Furlong leaves because of money, he wanted to stay but they didn't want to pay his worth. Then serious questions will need to be asked why the likes of Sexton, Earls, POM etc got signed back up, especially if that money could have been used to resign Furlong

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the Sexton deal CAUSED the policy

so the situations could never be comparable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I don't think Furling would leave his spuds to go abroad to be honest.

dub_skav wrote: »
    I don't think Furling would leave his spuds to go abroad to be honest.

Most said that about Sexton.

His career is short, he just spent the guts of 12 months on the sidelines just to remind him. Every club in the World would love him, especially if he isn't going to be playing international rugby.
    French fans love a big scrum so he would be a PR persons dream. He would earn massive money, could ship over for 2 seasons and come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

sebdavis wrote: »
    If Furlong leaves because of money, he wanted to stay but they didn't want to pay his worth. Then serious questions will need to be asked why the likes of Sexton, Earls, POM etc got signed back up, especially if that money could have been used to resign Furlong

Infairness, one thing Furlong has going against him in this scenario is that there's a ready made replacement for him right there in Porter. No such obvious superstar back up exists at 10 for Sexton or on the wing for Earls.

I won't comment on the 7s for fear of opening and entirely different can of worms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

sebdavis wrote: »
    Most said that about Sexton.

His career is short, he just spent the guts of 12 months on the sidelines just to remind him. Every club in the World would love him, especially if he isn't going to be playing international rugby.
    French fans love a big scrum so he would be a PR persons dream. He would earn massive money, could ship over for 2 seasons and come back.

Oh I know there'd be a queue around the block for him and big money on the table.
    I just can't believe the IRFU would be stupid enough to proper low-ball him.
    Plus I think if he gets a reasonable offer he would stay.

So, banking on the IRFU not being idiots really, hope my faith is justified

For me, given how good he is and how crucial a position he plays in, I'd still select him if he was playing abroad. Not many IQ players are going to think of themselves in the same bracket as Furlong; I don't think he'll inspire a diaspora if he still plays for Ireland.

Infairness, one thing Furlong has going against him in this scenario is that there's a ready made replacement for him right there in Porter. No such obvious superstar back up exists at 10 for Sexton or on the wing for Earls.

I won't comment on the 7s for fear of opening and entirely different can of worms

Furlong is World Class. Just in his peak as a player
    Yes Porter is in the wings but is he as good as Furlong? is Porter going to switch sides as well?

Sexton is 36
    Earls is 33
    No harm to the guys but they are well past peak and not going to make another WC.
    In regards to back row options, we have players across every province. Young and other with loads of experience. That is one position the IRFU have multiple options

• Advertisement

For me, given how good he is and how crucial a position he plays in, I'd still select him if he was playing abroad. Not many IQ players are going to think of themselves in the same bracket as Furlong; I don't think he'll inspire a diaspora if he still plays for Ireland.

Problem is if he goes abroad he will be on huge money and will be playing every game possible. Why would they rest him? he would be flogged and that is not good for him or Ireland.

If the IRFU let him go it would be a disaster in my opinion.

Advertisement