Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

sebdavis wrote: »
    Really? Why not?

Personally, I think his attitude stinks. He's made it clear he thinks he should be able to play the way he wants rather than what the coach requires. he showed absolutely no class in his public comments about Joe. He comes across as someone who thinks very highly of their own talent, and who's either too lazy or not self aware enough to acknowledge and fix the problems in his game. Textbook example of wasted talent - he's a very good player, who could have been a great player, but he's been happy to coast along and enjoy the French pastries.

He might be a popular guy with other players, but from the outside, he doesn't seem like the kind of personality that'll be pushing other players forward in terms of standards and effort, which should really be the bar for everyone involved in the Irish camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I hope Gatland picks him in the lions squad purely for the entertainment here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

fitz wrote: »
    Personally, I think his attitude stinks. He's made it clear he thinks he should be able to play the way he wants rather than what the coach requires. he showed absolutely no class in his public comments about Joe. He comes across as someone who thinks very highly of their own talent, and who's either too lazy or not self aware enough to acknowledge and fix the problems in his game. Textbook example of wasted talent - he's a very good player, who could have been a great player, but he's been happy to coast along and enjoy the French pastries.

He might be a popular guy with other players, but from the outside, he doesn't seem like the kind of personality that'll be pushing other players forward in terms of standards and effort, which should really be the bar for everyone involved in the Irish camp.

Totally agree with this and I really like Zebo. If I was a coach, I wouldn't have him near the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

fitz wrote: »

Most of the issues I see surrounding Zebo is because 1/4 of the fan base think he should be starting every week and the other 3/4 see some of his limitations.

He had run in's with Joe, that is correct because Joe wanted his players to do XYZ, that been said he still was in every squad and played a lot under Joe. Including the great win in Chicago. Of course once he moved to France he was dropped and correctly IMO. If players want to leave then they leave.

I seen little of his social media since, just the video for PP in the WC which was in poor taste but I bet he thought was funny.

Without concentrating on the past, looking at the Ireland squad I expect him to get back into the squad, he will give some good options and has loaded of experience at this stage. Should suit this promised "head up" rugby we keep hearing about instead of the more prescriptive style Joe implement. Prescriptive but massively successful I might add.

He will cause conflict between fans, of course, but if he helps Ireland improve I dont care.

P.S I also think the media didn't help, no matter what the conversation was you had a few journalists who would stove the Zebo conversation into anything. If they could talk about him on the Irish Womens Rugby conversation they would. This was annoying because they knew why he wasn't selected. This of course was not Zebo fault

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Most of the issues I see surrounding Zebo is because 1/4 of the fan base think he should be starting every week and the other 3/4 see some of his limitations.

This is a gross generalisation, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

aloooof wrote: »
    This is a gross generalisation, tbh.

Well he got to that from everyone wants to see zebo play. So I think gross generalisation may be the tip of the berg.

salmocab wrote: »
    Well he got to that from everyone wants to see zebo play. So I think gross generalisation may be the tip of the berg.

Did I?
    Let’s hope it works out for Ireland....I think everyone would like to see Zebo play again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

If Zebo shows to Farrell he's good enough to play, and gets in the team then that's it...if anyone then keeps saying otherwise... it's probably not a rugby issue

If Zebo shows to Farrell he's good enough to play, and gets in the team then that's it...if anyone then keeps saying otherwise... it's probably not a rugby issue

What is his current form like? with T14 off Sky I dont get to watch anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

There is a recurring narrative about Zebo carrying weight. As an example, Keith Wood referred to this last week on the radio, saying he'd need to knuckle down in training and get fit, saying he has looked out of shape for some time.

• Advertisement

There is a recurring narrative about Zebo carrying weight. As an example, Keith Wood referred to this last week on the radio, saying he'd need to knuckle down in training and get fit, saying he has looked out of shape for some time.

It was more along the lines of he looks a bigger man and he may need to shed a few of those pounds. It was said as if Wood wasn’t 100% sure that was true, the big word he used is “may”

He never said he didn’t look fit or out of shape. He mentioned training in terms of getting into both teams

I wouldn’t connect the both as if to say he wasn’t fit. ROG did mention something about training as well and then said he was capable of it, so not sure if he knows something else and didn’t want to say. He would have the inside information in Racing

I think what I’m trying to say is it’s hard to know, maybe he has muscled up for the French game? I don’t know...I don’t think anyone could claim he isn’t fit

Also in terms of the weight, by the looks of him he put it on, but he did in the first summer he arrived and has kept it on, maybe he went to France and they said right you need XX on becaus you are facing gigantic wingers week in week out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Also in terms of the weight, by the looks of him he put it on, but he did in the first summer he arrived and has kept it on, maybe he went to France and they said right you need XX on becaus you are facing gigantic wingers week in week out

Zebo put the weight on in his last season with Munster. There was lots of commentary both on and off here about it.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Zebo put the weight on in his last season with Munster. There was lots of commentary both on and off here about it.

I wasn’t on here so no idea, I don’t remember any comments on podcast etc, I know when he moved to France it was mentioned

It’s not really the place for a forum to discuss anyway, we have no idea what he should/shouldn’t be doing. He is still been played with racing so they seem happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I wasn’t on here so no idea, I don’t remember any comments on podcast etc, I know when he moved to France it was mentioned

It’s not really the place for a forum to discuss anyway, we have no idea what he should/shouldn’t be doing. He is still been played with racing so they seem happy

Happy enough to not offer him a new contract

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

P.Walnuts wrote: »

Exactly.

Not exactly time for a ticker tape parade when they chose not to offer Zebo a new contract; we’re in the happy position of not being reliant on rejects to select our first XV.

After his disgusting tweets whenever Ireland did badly, the bar for him to be selected is very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

What did he tweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Zebo could put on another 30kg in doughnuts and he would still be the best Irish full back available.

I would fully expect him to be picked for the lions. He is as good if not better than Hogg and can cover any back 3 position, versatility that is badly needed when you go for a 6/2 split on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebo could put on another 30kg in doughnuts and he would still be the best Irish full back available.

I would fully expect him to be picked for the lions. He is as good if not better than Hogg and can cover any back 3 position, versatility that is badly needed when you go for a 6/2 split on the bench.

Zebo isn't within an asses roar of the Lions and the current bookmakers' odds reflect that.

P.Walnuts wrote: »

Sexton openly talked about living in France with kids and no Grandparents etc. He seemed to suggest they struggled, it was on a podcast years ago. Sexton was offered a bumper new contract and turned it down as he wanted to go home

We just seen Stander with a number of years left in his career decide to retire to go home.

Plenty of reasons why he would like to move home, maybe he wasn't offered a new contract but the number of places in France are limited if not JIFF. From an Irish point of view it does mean we have access to a very talented player for the next 12 months and potentially longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

john9876 wrote: »
    What did he tweet?

Ah it was just a bit of bantz, some sort of stupid emoji when Ireland were losing.

Doubt anyone in the Ireland camp lost any sleep over it but it didn't reflect well on him.

He has made some very poor choices like that over the years. He's his own worst enemy tbh.

Sexton being a bit immature as well now saying that he put Leinster and England in the same bracket.
    Zebo probably has 3 years left in a Munster shirt...2-3 in an Ireland shirt..if Farrell picks him, trying to cut the legs from an international teammate is childish

Sexton being a bit immature as well now saying that he put Leinster and England in the same bracket.
    Zebo probably has 3 years left in a Munster shirt...2-3 in an Ireland shirt..if Farrell picks him, trying to cut the legs from an international teammate is childish

Sorry what is going on now?

vii4pdir23g31.jpg

Half of the forum when Zebo scores the crucial try to win the RWC for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Zebo was never a vital player for Ireland when we were at our best. In fact he didn't even play for us when we were at our best.

That could be down to a clash of personalities and playing styles between Schmidt and he. We know Farrell wants to implement a slightly more off the cuff style of attacking rugby. That would probably suit Zebo. But I don't expect him to come in and make a huge difference to the side. He's 31 and his best years are probably behind him now. And there's just the simple fact that even at his very best he was never consistently good enough to hold down a place in the side.

Clegg wrote: »
    Zebo was never a vital player for Ireland when we were at our best. In fact he didn't even play for us when we were at our best.

That could be down to a clash of personalities and playing styles between Schmidt and he. We know Farrell wants to implement a slightly more off the cuff style of attacking rugby. That would probably suit Zebo. But I don't expect him to come in and make a huge difference to the side. He's 31 and his best years are probably behind him now. And there's just the simple fact that even at his very best he was never consistently good enough to hold down a place in the side.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/player/?PlayGuid=SZ896049

He was holding down a place in the side before he announced his departure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Clegg wrote: »

This has often been repeated on here. He was never a guaranteed starter in the way someone like Sexton was but he absolutely was first choice for large spells. In his last season when he was available for Ireland, he started both games against the All Blacks, and played all but 5 mins in the 6 Nations. That's first choice by any measure.

Having said that, since then the likes of Larmour and Stockdale have come on the scene, not to mention the likes of Balacoune etc. There's going to far more competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

https://www.irishrugby.ie/player/?PlayGuid=SZ896049

He was holding down a place in the side before he announced his departure.

If I'm wrong on that then I apologise. But the impression I always had of Zebo was that he was one of the more disposable players.

I think he was good for Ireland when he played. Just that he was never vital for us like Bowe or Kearney were for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

His last season, he was first choice - but his competition was falling to bits. Bowe and Trimble were just about finished, Fitzgerald had retired and Dave Kearney was out for months with injury. The next cab off the rank was Craig Gilroy. Of those, only Kearney ever wore green again after the 2017 6N.

Prior to that, when we had good alternatives, we more often than not picked the alternatives.

Now he's four years older. I would not be surprised if he never plays for Ireland again tbh.

• Advertisement

His last season, he was first choice - but his competition was falling to bits. Bowe and Trimble were just about finished, Fitzgerald had retired and Dave Kearney was out for months with injury. The next cab off the rank was Craig Gilroy.

Prior to that, when we had good alternatives, we more often than not picked the alternatives.

Now he's four years older. I would not be surprised if he never plays for Ireland again tbh.

I would say the chances of him not playing for Ireland are very slim indeed

Advertisement