Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That's a highlight package?? Why would anyone bother putting together a video of that. If that's considered one of his great performances then ...meh.

You do realise it is not one game but multiple games? the different stadiums is the hint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

.ak wrote: »
    C’mon he’s ghosting Ma Nonu for fun! One of Australia’s best!

A 45 year old Nonu who came north to pad his pension and sample some good wine & cheese. I'd expect one of the greatest ever British Lions to smoke him. Especially when playing for Leinster.

sebdavis wrote: »
    You do realise it is not one game but multiple games? the different stadiums is the hint

That actually makes it worse. He stepped Nonu 3 times in 2 or 3 matches. That's a career highlight???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

That actually makes it worse. He stepped Nonu 3 times in 2 or 3 matches. That's a career highlight???

Who said it was a career highlight?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,587 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Its a running joke with Yeah Right who is a confused antipodean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Its a running joke with Yeah Right who is a confused antipodean

Is he from Ozealand then?:D:D:D

jacothelad wrote: »
    Is he from Ozealand then?:D:D:D

I think IBF started this **** but I'm going to blame Buer. Shut up Buer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

A 45 year old Nonu who came north to pad his pension and sample some good wine & cheese. I'd expect one of the greatest ever British Lions to smoke him. Especially when playing for Leinster.

This was literally weeks after Nonu scored a 50 yard try in the world cup final

TRC10 wrote: »
    This was literally weeks after Nonu scored a 50 yard try in the world cup final

Nonu was probably still drunk from the celebrations 😠I just think it's a weird video to put up to highlight what a great player Luke Fitz supposedly was. Is it supposed to prove that he was a better 12 than Nonu??
    He was a good player but I always thought he was massively overrated by some Leinster fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nonu was probably still drunk from the celebrations 😠I just think it's a weird video to put up to highlight what a great player Luke Fitz supposedly was. Is it supposed to prove that he was a better 12 than Nonu??
    He was a good player but I always thought he was massively overrated by some Leinster fans.

I think you're looking to find more to that video than is there. It was just a clip of Fitzy, a guy who had barely ever played 12, beating a RWC winner for fun a couple of times in 2 weeks. It wasn't trying to make any statement about his career or anything like that. It's just a couple of clips on YouTube, like clips of specific tries etc.

Fitzy absolutely was a serious talent though. Injury and his own daftness got in the way of him realising that fully. But the raw materials were all there. As I said, you don't play all games in a Grand Slam and then get a Lions Test cap at 21 without having potential and having gone at least some way to realising that potential. But then also if you struggle to get a run of games fit plus feel the need to try and be something that you're not then thats going to hamper your career in a big way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

michael-collins-rea-screenshot1.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

molloyjh wrote: »
    Fitzy absolutely was a serious talent though. Injury and his own daftness got in the way of him realising that fully. But the raw materials were all there. As I said, you don't play all games in a Grand Slam and then get a Lions Test cap at 21 without having potential and having gone at least some way to realising that potential. But then also if you struggle to get a run of games fit plus feel the need to try and be something that you're not then thats going to hamper your career in a big way.

Also being obsessed with the idea of being a fullback when its potentially your weakest position don't help.

He could have been a great 12 not unlike his buddy Madigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Also being obsessed with the idea of being a fullback when its potentially your weakest position don't help.

He could have been a great 12 not unlike his buddy Madigan.

He would've been stellar there. I was so mad we never got to see Madigan Fitz and O'Malley play. They were all in great form at the time and it feel apart.

michael-collins-rea-screenshot1.jpg

I made the list? I MADE THE LIST!!! Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I made the list? I MADE THE LIST!!! Woohoo!

Don't take this the wrong way, but making that list is nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Don't take this the wrong way, but making that list is nothing special.

Are there many on it? From all over the British Isles?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Are there many on it? From all over the British Isles?

Australia isn’t a British Isle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think you're looking to find more to that video than is there. It was just a clip of Fitzy, a guy who had barely ever played 12, beating a RWC winner for fun a couple of times in 2 weeks. It wasn't trying to make any statement about his career or anything like that. It's just a couple of clips on YouTube, like clips of specific tries etc.

To be fair the reason it's getting attention is because that video is the rugby equivalent of john o shea nutmegging figo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Very insightful from Conan on his position and instinct for both his try and the Earls try v England.
    Playing great stuff. Fingers crossed for him and Dorris in the back row.
    https://www.the42.ie/jack-conan-ireland-leinster-5417962-Apr2021/

stephen_n wrote: »
    Australia isn’t a British Isle.

Do many Australians play for the "British Lions"? I think you've missed the joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Do many Australians play for the "British Lions"? I think you've missed the joke.

No I didn’t but you did. Here’s a clue, it was a reference to the original post you were commenting on ;)

stephen_n wrote: »
    No I didn’t but you did. Here’s a clue, it was a reference to the original post you were commenting on ;)

My time is far too precious to back beyond one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

salmocab wrote:
    He also knows that if Hayes was around now he’d be playing second row for a j1 team.

This comparing people from different times is laughable. Sure Serge Blanco wouldn't get a game these days.
    Unless if course you are going to say that with today's training he'd be up there which you couldn't know and if you are saying that about him then the same applies to Hayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

eagle eye wrote: »
    This comparing people from different times is laughable. Sure Serge Blanco wouldn't get a game these days.
    Unless if course you are going to say that with today's training he'd be up there which you couldn't know and if you are saying that about him then the same applies to Hayes.

Nobody was comparing it was just a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I’ll be using this post to teach my students about the straw man fallacy this week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Whatever about the crazy Ma'a Nonu and Luke Fitzgerald comparisions, I think it's fair to say he was a better winger that Douglas Howlett.

Q.E.D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

clsmooth wrote: »
    Whatever about the crazy Ma'a Nonu and Luke Fitzgerald comparisions, I think it's fair to say he was a better winger that Douglas Howlett.

Q.E.D.

Looks like the poor bugger hurt himself making the tackle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

clsmooth wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say he was a better winger that Douglas Howlett.

yeah luke is still top try scorer for the ABs isn't he.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

yeah luke is still top try scorer for the ABs isn't he.......?

Luke was too good for the All Blacks

• Advertisement

Looks like the poor bugger hurt himself making the tackle?

He usually hurt himself walking on the field.
    Something Luke has in common with Dougie is that they both finished their world cup careers with quartet final losses.

Advertisement