Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Wtaf?

I don't know if that's Glasgow or Worcester but either seems ridiculously unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That tweeter appears to be a Worcester fan.

So he'd give up Leinster and Ireland to play for Worcester.

They'd have to be offering an obsence amount of money. Best paid player in the world stuff surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

bilston wrote: »
    That tweeter appears to be a Worcester fan.

So he'd give up Leinster and Ireland to play for Worcester.

They'd have to be offering an obsence amount of money. Best paid player in the world stuff surely.

He won’t go to Worcester to slog it out at bottom of Premiership. South of France or Worcester :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Same reporter is linking Sione Vailanu and Owen Williams with Worcester, I think this is more of a personal wishlist than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

sebdavis wrote: »
    He won’t go to Worcester to slog it out at bottom of Premiership. South of France or Worcester :-)

You can't feed Wexford cattle in England or France.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

People thought the same about Rico Gear, Ben Te'o, Chris Latham and Francois Hougaard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Tbh, as soon as Leinster announced they were signing Michael Alaalatoa the alarm bells started ringing
    I had been wondering if it was Porter moving to Munster, which would have made sense from the IRFU's perspective ....well...at least more sense than losing Furlong from the Irish game, which is looking a little bit worrying now

Will await confirmation as players being linked to other clubs is not uncommon during negotiations. Would be a big loss for Leinster, would he still be picked for Ireland however I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Will await confirmation as players being linked to other clubs is not uncommon during negotiations. Would be a big loss for Leinster, would he still be picked for Ireland however I wonder?

he shouldn't in my opinion.

treat it as a years sabbatical... blood new guys.

Buer wrote: »
    People thought the same about Rico Gear, Ben Te'o, Chris Latham and Francois Hougaard.

Not really a list of names that should be included with Furlong now are they?

A couple of lads looking for a big pay cheque to retire on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Te'o at the time was a huge signing. Was called up to the England squad before he made it to Worcester and then made it into the Lions squad at the end of that season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

To add to Squidy's comment, T'eo was 28 when he signed for Worchester, the same age as Furlong is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

To be honest, if Furlong wants to go abroad for a big pay check for a couple of years, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Leinster and Ireland have Porter who is well able to step up for a couple of years as first choice Tighthead. Then we'll get Furlong back to play for the World Cup. So if he was to go for 2 years it's perfect timing.

And Porter would have 2 years under his belt as Ireland's first choice Tighthead. It would also be an opportunity to blood O'Toole, Salanoa, Knox or Aungier and really build some depth.

No matter how you paint it, losing Furlong would be a devastating blow to Ireland. He's Ireland's best player.

If he isn't the best TH in the world, then he isnt for off it. This would be like losing Paul O'Connell at his peak for 2 years.

Te'o at the time was a huge signing. Was called up to the England squad before he made it to Worcester and then made it into the Lions squad at the end of that season.

Jones wanted Te'o and he would of signed for anyone to get into an England jersey. AS you said yourself he was with England before his new club.
    https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/ben-teo-showing-hints-of-regret-over-worcester-move-104256
    Didn't any other English team want to sign Te'o? I didn't hear any rumours at the time, he had to play in Premiership of course to play for England

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

TRC10 wrote: »
    And Porter would have 2 years under his belt as Ireland's first choice Tighthead. It would also be an opportunity to blood O'Toole, Salanoa, Knox or Aungier and really build some depth.

I appreciate the ambition, but most (all?) of these boys are still finding their feet in the provincial game. Someone like Salanoa is 12 months off being a regular for Munster, let alone Ireland. We're a little bit light at TH if we lose Furlong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Chris Latham was the only guy over 30 in that list. Hougaard was 28 and starting for SA when he started with Worcester. Rico Gear had just wrapped up his NZ career at 29. Te'o was 29 and had just been called into the England squad. All at their physical peak.

None are at the level Furlong and of course they all moved for the cash but none of them were looking for their retirement move.

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I really doubt this is true, just the usual contract time kite flying by a player.

• Advertisement

TRC10 wrote: »
    To be honest, if Furlong wants to go abroad for a big pay check for a couple of years, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Leinster and Ireland have Porter who is well able to step up for a couple of years as first choice Tighthead. Then we'll get Furlong back to play for the World Cup. So if he was to go for 2 years it's perfect timing.

The concern was Porter was fairly flogged when Furlong was injured. We do have Marty Moore who seems to have been forgot since his return. A good man for a scrum. For me he would be the automatic back up to Porter while the other players try to step up.

He hasn't been around the squad for a while so it would seem Ireland management don't rate him

awec wrote: »
    I really doubt this is true, just the usual contract time kite flying by a player.

The most likely explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'm sure it is part of negotiations, but his agent could have picked somewhere a bit more glamorous than Wocester.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »

not coming from the player....

the only mention of this is from a worcester fan, who is musing on other signings as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Teferi wrote: »
    I appreciate the ambition, but most (all?) of these boys are still finding their feet in the provincial game. Someone like Salanoa is 12 months off being a regular for Munster, let alone Ireland. We're a little bit light at TH if we lose Furlong.

No I agree. I'm not saying any of them should be parachuted to 2nd choice or anything like that. But Porter was brought into the squad in 2017 after only a handful of substitute appearances for Leinster and he was behind Bent and Ross. Someone like Moore or Bealham would be the backup to Porter in the short term. But it would be an opportunity to bring in one of the young lads like we did with Porter in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Furlong might leave! Who would blame him? His earning potential is high right now. I think France would be his best option. But, if the IRFU are low balling him it's likely he go to whoever will pay him what he's worth.
    Porter would be an adequate starter. The back up would be troublesome. I would go with Moore as the reserve. Then there's Bealham and O'Toole. It's not ideal, but Furlong needs to take care of himself financially.
    Tight head is fairly good for Ireland. There's good depth atm.
    Porter
    Bealham
    Moore
    T.O.T
    And some lads for the future.
    Aungier
    Clarkson
    Knox
    Salanoa
    Although, I think Aungier is the best of the prospects.
    Best of luck to Furlong, whatever he decides.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

If he was offered 2x his salary for a year or 2 with the chance to return for the RWC, it wouldn't matter too much if it was a top club on the Med or a Worcester. He would have to take it seriously, athletes lives are short.

That being said, I doubt he goes anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Can’t see him leaving, lf he owns a farm he can’t be too much in need of going for money. Can’t see why anyone would leave a club like Leinster where he’s well looked after

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Furlong might leave! Who would blame him? His earning potential is high right now. I think France would be his best option. But, if the IRFU are low balling him it's likely he go to whoever will pay him what he's worth.
    Porter would be an adequate starter. The back up would be troublesome. I would go with Moore as the reserve. Then there's Bealham and O'Toole. It's not ideal, but Furlong needs to take care of himself financially.
    Tight head is fairly good for Ireland. There's good depth atm.
    Porter
    Bealham
    Moore
    T.O.T
    And some lads for the future.
    Aungier
    Clarkson
    Knox
    Salanoa
    Although, I think Aungier is the best of the prospects.
    Best of luck to Furlong, whatever he decides.

There’s not good depth at TH there’s 2 quality players then a drop off. I’d have taken Bent over everyone else you mentioned from a scrummaging point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Teferi wrote: »
    I'm sure it is part of negotiations, but his agent could have picked somewhere a bit more glamorous than Wocester.

Mind games.

Agent: "David, are you really willing to let one of your best players go to WORCESTER?"

Nucifora: "Jaysus you're right, I'd be mortified. Here's a huge wedge of cash"

Advertisement