Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

VANG1 wrote: »
    Can’t see him leaving, lf he owns a farm he can’t be too much in need of going for money. Can’t see why anyone would leave a club like Leinster where he’s well looked after

Farming in Ireland isn’t exactly Silicon Valley!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

salmocab wrote: »
    There’s not good depth at TH there’s 2 quality players then a drop off. I’d have taken Bent over everyone else you mentioned from a scrummaging point of view.

Joe Schmidt and Andy Farrell wouldn't have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bazzo wrote: »
    Joe Schmidt and Andy Farrell wouldn't have :D

For scrummaging I would say they would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Mind games.

Agent: "David, are you really willing to let one of your best players go to WORCESTER?"

Nucifora: "Jaysus you're right, I'd be mortified. Here's a huge wedge of cash"

Obviously in an ideal world he stays. He's one of the best rugby players in the world.

But if a club is offering him an astronomical amount and he wants to cash in, I wouldn't have a massive issue as long as it's only a 2 year deal and he's back for the World Cup. At 28 he's relatively young for a TH prop and he'll only come back a better player with 2 years experience of a different team/league.And in Porter we already have a replacement who would start for most international sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

VANG1 wrote: »
    Can’t see him leaving, lf he owns a farm he can’t be too much in need of going for money. Can’t see why anyone would leave a club like Leinster where he’s well looked after

Ever hear of a chap called Sean O’Brien, used to play a bit of ball for Leinster and Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

stephen_n wrote: »
    Ever hear of a chap called Sean O’Brien, used to play a bit of ball for Leinster and Ireland.

To be fair sean o brien was likely offered a small contrace here and a huge one at irish. Furlong ain't at that age yet

nerd69 wrote: »
    To be fair sean o brien was likely offered a small contrace here and a huge one at irish. Furlong ain't at that age yet

The comparison is referring to the first line of their post. Not the relative monetary value though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

O'Brien was crippled with injuries and wasn't anywhere near his best when he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

IF Furlong opts to move on for a better salary elsewhere then fair play to him.
    I would have thought the IRFU would have been all out to get private funding to ensure we kept him here.
    Marty Moore didn't have such a great move, I wonder if Furlong would be influenced by that outcome.
    If he were abroad, not playing for Ireland, and picked up a few injuries, while someone else gets a few caps and makes the jersey their own (Porter/O'Toole), it's possible that by the RWC he might struggle to get back to where he is now, as a banker to start every big game he's fit.
    Hopefully they'll secure a three year contract and it won't ruffle too many feathers with the rest of the players.
    The likes of Ryan and Henshaw are good international players, but Furlong is our only truly world class player (I mean he would definitely be picked on a World 15 with little argument) at the moment IMO.
    I think the players themselves would accept that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't know if the players would accept it. How would a lad like Porter feel if Furlong's salary dwarfed his? I think they both should be on a similar amount. It's difficult to get the salaries right from an IRFU perspective. Consider what the wings are on. Would Earls make more than the other wings? What would Larmour make as compared to Stockdale? I think there could be resentment. It's a balanced approach, I would guess. There would be limits on the salaries? Of course, if a lad has the opportunity to make significantly more abroad, I would have no problem if he left. After all, the career is short and the financial situation is probably the driving factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I don't know if the players would accept it. How would a lad like Porter feel if Furlong's salary dwarfed his? I think they both should be on a similar amount. It's difficult to get the salaries right from an IRFU perspective. Consider what the wings are on. Would Earls make more than the other wings? What would Larmour make as compared to Stockdale? I think there could be resentment. It's a balanced approach, I would guess. There would be limits on the salaries? Of course, if a lad has the opportunity to make significantly more abroad, I would have no problem if he left. After all, the career is short and the financial situation is probably the driving factor.

Ya but porters a damn good prop. Furlongs a whole.other level their not that close tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That's a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Eod100 wrote: »

always thought this was going to be a long shot. id say another nations cup-style tournament is the most we can look forward to outside of the lions

always thought this was going to be a long shot. id say another nations cup-style tournament is the most we can look forward to outside of the lions

Cant see the Lions happening, the logistics of 50+ people going to South Africa moving about different places for a few weeks along with replacements flying in and guys flying home seems to me unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Too much money to be lost if the Lions is cancelled. The players will be stuck in a bubble and the stadiums will be empty but it will go ahead.

The other tours are much less financially important and could well be canned though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

salmocab wrote: »
    with replacements flying in and guys flying home seems to me unlikely to happen.

ive been wondering about this myself too. listening to the various podcasts etc discussing potential squads and they all tend to mention potential replacement players as if it were the same as always but surely this would be more or less impossible this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

SA time zone means the Lions TV rights are by far the most lucrative of all 3 tours (presumably).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Sean O'Brien wasn't offered a contract by IRFU. He wanted to play on so he went to England,. Similar to Rob Kearney.

SOB was run ragged with injuries and the Lions tour seemed to tip him over, I think he maybe played 20 mins for Ireland after that? then broke his arm in that game.

Not really a comparison with Furlong.

ive been wondering about this myself too. listening to the various podcasts etc discussing potential squads and they all tend to mention potential replacement players as if it were the same as always but surely this would be more or less impossible this time?

If a player contracts Covid over there the whole thing will instantly fall apart. Returning injured players will need medical attention from their clubs and may not be able to access it. It just seems like too many pitfalls, it’s different to say Leinster flying in and out of France this weekend where they can travel together have minimal contact with others outside of the game and fly straight back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Same reporter is linking Sione Vailanu and Owen Williams with Worcester, I think this is more of a personal wishlist than anything

Well I was completely wrong here anyways, Worcester just signed Vailanu.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Too much money to be lost if the Lions is cancelled. The players will be stuck in a bubble and the stadiums will be empty but it will go ahead.

The other tours are much less financially important and could well be canned though.

Wonder could they have just swapped tours, have Australia this summer and SA when it was Australias tour. Guess the timing is after SA have won RWC and SA left in lurch with finances so probably didn't want to switch but could at least have had full stadiums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Wonder could they have just swapped tours, have Australia this summer and SA when it was Australias tour. Guess the timing is after SA have won RWC and SA left in lurch with finances so probably didn't want to switch but could at least have had full stadiums.

I think that was offered, plus also South Africa playing the tournament in Australia so they could have fans, both got rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

This was asked in Lions thread a while back. Very difficult to change it at late stage. Logistics too much/too difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Any chance of the Fijians playing in Ireland?

sebdavis wrote: »
    Sean O'Brien wasn't offered a contract by IRFU. He wanted to play on so he went to England,. Similar to Rob Kearney.

SOB was run ragged with injuries and the Lions tour seemed to tip him over, I think he maybe played 20 mins for Ireland after that? then broke his arm in that game.

Not really a comparison with Furlong.

Clearly I need to explain the blindingly obvious to you. I wouldn’t have thought that it was that difficult but clearly it is. As I said I was referring to the first sentence in the post.

The thrust of his post was FURLONG OWNS A FARM THEREFORE DOESN’T NEED THE MONEY. Do you get the comparison now or do I need to expand further?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Speaking as someone with zero knowledge on specific individual situations, plenty of farmers are just keeping their heads above the water i.e. "Land rich, cash poor".

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hahashake wrote: »
    Speaking as someone with zero knowledge on specific individual situations, plenty of farmers are just keeping their heads above the water i.e. "Land rich, cash poor".

show me a poor farmer and ill show you a liar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Dubinusa wrote: »

I wonder how public the players are with their salaries, I wouldn’t be surprised if Larmour had no idea what earls and stockdale earned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

THFC198 wrote: »
    I wonder how public the players are with their salaries, I wouldn’t be surprised if Larmour had no idea what earls and stockdale earned

I'd be AMAZED if his agent doesn't.

Advertisement