Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Let’s not completely dismiss Ian Madigan either.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

TRC10 wrote: »
    I've a strong feeling Sextons body is going to give in before somebody takes the jersey from him. In his last 3 games (Wales, Scotland and Connacht) hes been forced off with an injury. Twice before half time.

I thinks it's very likely we'll see a changing of the guard in the coming 6 nations, be it by choice or enforced.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sexton is not offered a new deal

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I think he'll be offered a deal but it's gonna be a massive reduction to the extent where he'll consider retirement.

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I would be amazed if the current Ireland captain was not given a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

awec wrote: »
    I would be amazed if the current Ireland captain was not given a new contract.

Well no crowd's for the next 6 months at games at least changes the equation. Captain or not.

I think we are going to lose 3 or 4 big earners to moves abroad or retirement. And I wouldn't be surprised if one or two are pushed out. Sexton has played 48 minutes for Leinster this season. He barely played for Ireland.

I believe everything will be dictated by covid restrictions and we will see a few big names go and given Sextons inability to reach half time in games I wouldn't be surprised if he is one to go.

A few others who are 30/31 are rumoured to have offers from French clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Would Sexton take a big pay cut? I think his career is winding down. To be frank, I would cut him from the international squad just to have a look at the other lads.
    There's no way he makes the world cup! I believe it's time to turn the page.
    The frontrunner for me would be Burns. Put Cooney inside him and I think he's going to be successful.
    I also think Carty and RB could also be worth another look. I doubt that they'll be locked down as HB and Healy will be coming up soon.
    Carberry is also a possibility. I still think he has a lot to learn and who knows how his health is.
    Regardless , I think it's time to move on from Sexton.
    Murray will soon be in Sexton's sunds are nipping at his heels and soon enough a better option will emerge. I reckon Blade will be capped this year. He is a really good 9. Then there's Cooney and JGP. The shape of the national side will change over the next year. I think it needs to.

Cooney turns 31 shortly. His form since the return of rugby has been relatively mixed. I think his test career is largely done. Craig Casey has a better chance of getting a shot in green than Cooney, at this point.

I'd be happy to see Burns get a shot in the 6N. He's the next cab off the rank for outhalf, at the moment. None of the other options have really shown their at test rugby standard with any consistency of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Would Sexton take a big pay cut? I think his career is winding down. To be frank, I would cut him from the international squad just to have a look at the other lads.

I agree 100%. He can't turn the clock back and he is at best an interim captain until a new younger candidate emerges (Ryan? Other?).

In any case I think he's a sh*t captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Sexton will not finish the 6 Nations as Irelands out half. Billy Burns is our next best by a distance IMO and he'll be our next 10.

Who Farrell names as the third 10 will be interesting. Will he stick with Ross Byrne or will he bring in Harry Byrne. I reckon Harry may leapfrog his brother with Farrell taking a view towards the WC. It's only a matter of time before he jumps up the pecking order at Leinster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Harry Byrne is a better player than Ross Byrne.

Carty is a journeyman.

If we had a World Cup Quarter Final tomorrow, and everyone was fit, the hierarchy should be as follows:

- Sexton
    - Carberry
    - Madigan
    - H Byrne
    - R Byrne
    - Carty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Carty is a journeyman.

If we had a World Cup Quarter Final tomorrow, and everyone was fit, the hierarchy should be as follows:

- Sexton
    - Carberry
    - Madigan
    - H Byrne
    - R Byrne
    - Carty
    Madigan is in no way that highly thought of and Carty is above Byrnes as well. Harry is a better player than Ross.
    How is Carty a journeyman?
    Neither of Byrnes would be ahead of Carty right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Carberry is rarely fit. He's more injury prone than Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Carty is a journeyman.

- Sexton
    - Carberry
    - Madigan
    - H Byrne
    - R Byrne
    - Carty

Billy Burns not even 6th choice after autumn?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Madigan above Carty is insanity. He’s not in the reckoning.

I’d have Blade and Carty as second choice in both half back positions.

I think Burns/Carty are both decent options on recent performances. I’d be really interested to see Burns start in this 6 Nations

Burns is a reject and Carty is a journeyman.

I never thought I’d say it but Madigan’s achievements bring him back into the discussion.

But most of all, we need Joey C back.

If you stuck the rest of them together, you wouldn’t have an out-half of the required class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Burns is a reject and Carty is a journeyman.

I never thought I’d say it but Madigan’s achievements bring him back into the discussion.

But most of all, we need Joey C back.

If you stuck the rest of them together, you wouldn’t have an out-half of the required class.

Do you know what a journeyman is? Ian Madigan is a journeyman, not Jack Carty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

"Madigan's achievements"

What would those be.

its_phil wrote: »
    Do you know what a journeyman is? Ian Madigan is a journeyman, not Jack Carty.

“Reliable but not outstanding” is the online definition and the generally accepted definition.

The “loads of clubs” definition is less common.

Madigan is neither reliable nor outstanding.

Carty is far from reliable but occasionally outstanding. Unfortunately, he is as frequently brutal.

Billy Burns is the second choice by a country mile at this point (disregarding Carbery).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

“Reliable but not outstanding” is the online definition and the generally accepted definition.

The “loads of clubs” definition is less common.

Madigan fits either of those definitions far better than Carty.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,709 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Billy burns a "reject"????

I think your mixing him up with his brother freddy. I can't think of any team that rejected Billy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

One match against Leinster thirds is not a reason to crown a new prince

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

VANG1 wrote: »
    One match against Leinster thirds is not a reason to crown a new prince

I don't want to be churlish but this is exactly right. I remember people after the Ulster match - the week before - saying "that's why Carty hasn't gotten more games for Ireland". I think they were talking about either some of his kicking or Mathewson wriggling out of his tackle, or maybe both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I don't want to be churlish but this is exactly right. I remember people after the Ulster match - the week before - saying "that's why Carty hasn't gotten more games for Ireland". I think they were talking about either some of his kicking or Mathewson wriggling out of his tackle, or maybe both.

Although not sure many are anointing him anyway, this is one of those conversations where if you follow it back one poster made an outrageous claim about something and actually no one else said much controversial at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Both of those are really poor reasons to disregard Carty.

I’d be more concerned about his previous performances.

I think Burns is better than Carty but I think Blade is the form 9 in Ireland at the moment and I’d like to see that partnership given a go at a higher level

salmocab wrote: »
    Although not sure many are anointing him anyway, this is one of those conversations where if you follow it back one poster made an outrageous claim about something and actually no one else said much controversial at all.

No, fair enough, there's hardly a Carty groundswell.

Apart from the Popular Judean Carty Advocates.

Both of those are really poor reasons to disregard Carty.

I’d be more concerned about his previous performances.

I think Burns is better than Carty but I think Blade is the form 9 in Ireland at the moment and I’d like to see that partnership given a go at a higher level

I don't think people were saying he couldn't be picked off the back of those specific errors - the point was that those mistakes are typical of him. The same argument as you, really - his previous form.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Billy burns a "reject"????

I think your mixing him up with his brother freddy. I can't think of any team that rejected Billy.

England did.

We need Carberry back.

The rest, except for Harry Byrne perhaps, are average.

Madigan has taken too much blame for what happened in 2015 and for weeping like a baby when we beat France. He would represent a decent backup option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No, fair enough, there's hardly a Carty groundswell.

Apart from the Popular Judean Carty Advocates.

Whatever happened to the people’s popular Carty Advocates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

salmocab wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the people’s popular Carty Advocates?

SPLITTERS

Advertisement