Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

stephen_n wrote: »
    Clearly I need to explain the blindingly obvious to you. I wouldn’t have thought that it was that difficult but clearly it is. As I said I was referring to the first sentence in the post.

The thrust of his post was FURLONG OWNS A FARM THEREFORE DOESN’T NEED THE MONEY. Do you get the comparison now or do I need to expand further?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

stephen_n wrote: »
    Clearly I need to explain the blindingly obvious to you. I wouldn’t have thought that it was that difficult but clearly it is. As I said I was referring to the first sentence in the post.

The thrust of his post was FURLONG OWNS A FARM THEREFORE DOESN’T NEED THE MONEY. Do you get the comparison now or do I need to expand further?

Sean O'Brien's situation wasn't really the same though, he was constantly injured and wasn't offered a contract by the IRFU. Not really at the same stage of career either.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

https://www.the42.ie/johnny-sexton-la-rochelle-5421264-Apr2021/

yet another head injury for sexton, as much as i'd love to see him go to the next rwc as the back-up 10 i think for his own health his time is up

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.the42.ie/johnny-sexton-la-rochelle-5421264-Apr2021/

yet another head injury for sexton, as much as i'd love to see him go to the next rwc as the back-up 10 i think for his own health his time is up

he was never in line to go to the next RWC ???

he said after 2019 that his goal was to make the lions tour.
    his contract extension will only bring him to the end of next season

sydthebeat wrote: »
    he was never in line to go to the next RWC ???

he said after 2019 that his goal was to make the lions tour.
    his contract extension will only bring him to the end of next season

and during the 6N lots of articles stated he said as much, after which he came out saying that what he had said was misconstrued and he was aiming to keep playing.

10 is probably the one position in which a player could last to 37/38 at the highest level, albeit the bench is probably the best option realistically. if ireland continue insisting with the notion that carbery is a 10 then having an experienced replacement who can actually run a game would be pretty handy imo

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

and during the 6N lots of articles stated he said as much, after which he came out saying that what he had said was misconstrued and he was aiming to keep playing.

10 is probably the one position in which a player could last to 37/38 at the highest level, albeit the bench is probably the best option realistically. if ireland continue insisting with the notion that carbery is a 10 then having an experienced replacement who can actually run a game would be pretty handy imo

??

https://www.rte.ie/sport/six-nations/2021/0223/1198836-sexton-hints-2023-beyond-him-as-life-after-rugby-nears/

he literally says:
    The Ireland captain says talk of him continuing until the France tournament, when he will be 38, was not fuelled by him.

sydthebeat wrote: »

he doesnt 'literally' say anything in that article - very non-committal either way which is to be expected, he basically said he'll keep going as long as he can but it mightn't be up to him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

10 is probably the one position in which a player could last to 37/38 at the highest level,

I would have thought the tight 5 was the area where players could go till their late 30s at the top level. I can think of several props and locks that have done it. The only other 10 I can think of is Gopperth. I suppose Carter but his last couple of seasons were in Japan. How old was he when he left Racing?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I would have the tight 5 was the area where players could go till their late 30s at the top level. I can think of several props and locks that have done it.

thats true, was thinking that myself but rory best at the last rwc made me question how good an idea it is in reality.

had thought andy goode and stephen jones got to 38 but they finished at 36, only one i can think of that got to that age at club level was alain penaud. i suppose my thinking was that a controlling 10 who doesn't do much of the running themselves and is taken care of in defence could last till 38 if used sparingly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

thats true, was thinking that myself but rory best at the last rwc made me question how good an idea it is in reality.

had thought andy goode and stephen jones got to 38 but they finished at 36, only one i can think of that got to that age was alain penaud. i suppose my thinking was that a controlling 10 who doesn't do much of the running themselves and is taken care of in defence could last till 38 if used sparingly

Mike Catt played club rugby to 38 and a half, but he retired from International rugby 3 years before that.

I don't know who the oldest ever outhalf at international was or what age it was.

Diego Dominguez played for Italy up to 36 years and 10 months, not sure if that's the international record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Mike Catt played club rugby to 38 and a half, but he retired from International rugby 3 years before that.

I don't know who the oldest ever outhalf at international was or what age it was.
    I'd guess about 35ish.

Tusi Pisi, was 37 for Samoa in the 2019 RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think that Sexton might retire. He has been the victim of a lot of concussions and if the medical team advise him as such, he should retire. This latest concussion has probably ended any chance of him making the Lions. Gatland would be nuts to pick him, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

First up against Wales is good. I have never seen a team more momentum based than them.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    First up against Wales is good. I have never seen a team more momentum based than them.

As long as we don't have another POM moment

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

sebdavis wrote:
    As long as we don't have another POM moment
    Or another two Billy Burns moments.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Or another two Billy Burns moments.

A wonky kick ing 80+ minute wasn't our downfall

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

sebdavis wrote:
    A wonky kick ing 80+ minute wasn't our downfall
    We were winning at the line, he didn't need to risk that and also he gave possession away earlier with a cross field kick into touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Or a Heaslip moment, or an Aki moment. You'd swear O'Mahony was the devil according to this place at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

or maybe what we need is another magic Zebo moment against Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

eagle eye wrote: »
    We were winning at the line, he didn't need to risk that and also he gave possession away earlier with a cross field kick into touch.

Risking the kick wasn't the problem. He scuffed the kick. He could have gone for the 22 and it still would have gone dead.

It was an error in execution, not a judgement error.

Tbh there were many reasons why we lost that game. O'Mahony's moment of madness, Earls' tackle in the air and subsequent kick out on the full, Lowe's defence for the LRZ try, Barnes pinging Beirne for a perfect turnover which gave Wales 3 points, and then of course Burns' kick

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

TRC10 wrote: »
    Risking the kick wasn't the problem. He scuffed the kick. He could have gone for the 22 and it still would have gone dead.

It was an error in execution, not a judgement error.

Tbh there were many reasons why we lost that game. O'Mahony's moment of madness, Earls' tackle in the air and subsequent kick out on the full, Lowe's defence for the LRZ try, Barnes pinging Beirne for a perfect turnover which gave Wales 3 points, and then of course Burns' kick

Yeah, there were a good few individual errors. We could probably have managed some of them and still won, but not all. Hanging it on any one individual is unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I think what's important here is that we can all agree to blame POM for this.

Glad we got that sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah, there were a good few individual errors. We could probably have managed some of them and still won, but not all. Hanging it on any one individual is unfair.

You can add the Ringorse offload and Henderson knock on to that list as well actually. Forgot about that one.

O'Mahony's red card was inexcusable. But we should have won anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Or a Heaslip moment, or an Aki moment. You'd swear O'Mahony was the devil according to this place at times.

Well, I've never seen them both in the same room at the same time.

Have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Podge_irl wrote: »

Didn’t work so well this year.

I think what's important here is that we can all agree to blame POM for this.

i thought it was all stockdale and zebo no?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

i thought it was all stockdale and zebo no?

Don't forget the James Lowe fallout. You could probably do a 15 of players who cause the most hassle on here.

POM would be captain tho, as it should be. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

aloooof wrote: »
    Don't forget the James Lowe fallout. You could probably do a 15 of players who cause the most hassle on here.

G'wan so!
    The 15 most controversial / unlked Irish side....

I'd say Claw is a shoe in...for LH

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »

i was going to include him but in fairness......he was actually relatively poor in that game to be honest

Zebo, Lowe and Stockdale for the back three next season

Advertisement