Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

G'wan so!
    The 15 most controversial / unlked Irish side....

I'd say Claw is a shoe in...for LH

claw
    cronin/strauss
    bent
    kleyn
    O'Cuinneagain (i know he was a back row)
    quinlan
    leamy
    heaslip
    chris saverimutto
    anyone that wasn't from your own province/jackson
    lowe
    wallace
    olding
    stockdale
    zebo/kearney

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

G'wan so!

The "rage-attracting" 15. Backrow of Ruddock, POM and Heaslip (with POM at 7 for added rage).

Other shoo-in's would be Zebo, Lowe and Rob Kearney to round out the back 3 (with a nod to Geordan Murphy).

McFadden in there somewhere? Ross Byrne at 10?

i was going to include him but in fairness......he was actually relatively poor in that game to be honest

Zebo, Lowe and Stockdale for the back three next season

With Larmour on the bench. It'd be entertaining at least! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

aloooof wrote: »
    The "rage-attracting" 15. Backrow of Ruddock, POM and Heaslip (with POM at 7 for added rage).

Other shoo-in's would be Zebo, Lowe and Rob Kearney to round out the back 3 (with a nod to Geordan Murphy).

Earls at 13, not because people raged about Earls himself but anytime it was remotely suggested that he play 13 heads used to explode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

aloooof wrote: »

We have to find room for Luke Fitz?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

At 12 I'd say

Healy at 1, there's a fair few out there who he winds up.

Best at 2 I assume.

Buckley at 3

O'Callaghan for one of the second rows, there was a good while where certain fans accused him of being poor and debated his selections

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Foreigner taking his spot works better :P

dub_skav wrote: »
    Foreigner taking his spot works better :P

Throw him on the wing, with Zeebs on the other... sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Killer
    Cronin
    Bent
    Kleyn
    Roux
    VDF
    POM
    Heaslip
    Cooney
    Sexton
    Zebo
    D Kearney(has to be included somewhere)
    Earl(at 13 has to be included)
    Stockdale
    R Kearney

Of the last 10 years lets say this has to be the most controversial team knocking aroun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

G'wan so!

I liked him. Never stepped back at a time when Ireland were poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Cronin? What did Cronin do to piss in people's cornflakes?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He pissed in my cornflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Or Van Der Flier?? In what way is he controversial?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

To this day I don't understand the criticism Heaslip took from certain sections. Nominated for World Player of the Year twice, a central figure in Grand Slam and Heineken Cup wins and 5 test caps for the Lions. In terms of the professional era he's in our top three players alongside BOD and POC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Clegg wrote: »
    To this day I don't understand the criticism Heaslip took from certain sections. Nominated for World Player of the Year twice, a central figure in Grand Slam and Heineken Cup wins and 5 test caps for the Lions. In terms of the professional era he's in our top three players alongside BOD and POC.

Robert Kearney Esquire is on the phone...he has a bone to pick with you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Trevor Brennan should be there.

It's astonishing that there's a raft of insanely spurious and flimsy reasons for not liking p!ayers from other provinces that people lose the rag over, yet a "warrior" beats up a supporter of another province, gets his da to invent spurious tales of sectarianism to try and gutllessly wriggle off the hook, and people are like, "JeaN KLeYn iS FRoM SoUTh AfRiCa!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

You’re supposed to suggest a divisive 15 not start yet another debate about players put forward…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

100%. Fantastic player and leader. He had a great aura about him.

i dont think its to do with him as a player really, in fairness he was fantastic until very near the end and as noted was incredibly successful, i think its more to do with how his final irfu contract was handled being the reason that hes disliked/controversial (although not really his fault).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

i dont think its to do with him as a player really, in fairness he was fantastic until very near the end and as noted was incredibly successful, i think its more to do with how his final irfu contract was handled being the reason that hes disliked/controversial (although not really his fault).

He was disliked long before that by certain fans on here

• Advertisement

Here we go again :pac:

Trevor Brennan should be there.

It's astonishing that there's a raft of insanely spurious and flimsy reasons for not liking p!ayers from other provinces that people lose the rag over, yet a "warrior" beats up a supporter of another province, gets his da to invent spurious tales of sectarianism to try and gutllessly wriggle off the hook, and people are like, "JeaN KLeYn iS FRoM SoUTh AfRiCa!!!"

Ah Trevor, the lovable rogue, old school, sure they don't make them like that any more...

I disliked quite a few players over their absolute whoring of nandos on social media ... they'd sell their souls for a bit of free chicken :D

He was disliked long before that by certain fans on here

that was probably just eddie o sullivan giving out about the white boots

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He's in the elite tier of Irish players of the pro era, alongside the likes of POC/SOB/BOD/ROG, and anyone who doesn't rate him does not have a rashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

When he started he made a lot of very visible carries. This changed over time to doing a lot of unseen work. To a casual observer it appeared he was no longer worth his place in the team.

Here's my XV of players who've caused the most grief on boards.ie during my time posting here;

1. Denis Buckley - WHAT MORE DOES HE HAVE TO DO?
    2. Duncan Casey - completely forgotten now but there were bitter, bitter rows with many people convinced he was the future at hooker.
    3. Michael Bent - nuff said
    4. Gerbrandt Grobler - drugs cheat/he's done his time/IRFU hyprocrisy/deserves a chance - a goldmine
    5. Donnacha Ryan - not his fault but a cause celebre for the tinfoil hat brigade over his last contract
    6. Peter O'Mahony - a top-quality player who nevertheless generates huge outrage simply by being picked
    7. Sean O'Brien - well, he did piss on a guy
    8. Jamie Heaslip - one of our greatest ever players, or 'Houdini', depending on your perspective.
    9. Conor Murray - head and shoulders above all his rivals, yet still generates endless debate
    10. Paddy Jackson - for off-field reasons obviously
    11. Simon Zebo - nuff said
    12. Bundee Aki - I DON'T REMEMBER ANYONE GIVING <insert project player from other province> THIS AMOUNT OF GRIEF
    13. Jared Payne - I DON'T REMEMBER ANYONE GIVING <insert project player from other province> THIS AMOUNT OF GRIEF
    14. Dave Kearney - see Kearney, Rob
    15. Rob Kearney - see Kearney, Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ah Trevor, the lovable rogue, old school, sure they don't make them like that any more...

That was exactly the attitude in a recent 42 article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

He was
    1. Good looking
    2. Successful
    3. Played for Leinster

The 3 main reasons why people hated him. How he played on the pitch had nothing to do with it

• Advertisement

7. Sean O'Brien - well, he did piss on a guy

still cant understand how this wasn't a bigger thing at the time, absolutely despicable stuff

Advertisement