Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Does anyone think Sexton might retire now that he’s missed out on Lions selection and had 3 HIAs recently?

i really hope so, for his own sake. as much as i want to see him play to the next rwc, it sounds like hes potentially done himself alot of damage if even half of the suspected concussions hes had have been true. i understand why he was annoyed a few years ago but i'm fully with george hook on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

bilston wrote: »
    Well at least we will be able to have a look at some other THP options in July provided we get a couple of tests.

Who is there? Tom O'Toole and Finlay Bealham. Anyone else? Marty Moore and John Ryan?

Aungier possibly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

What might an Ireland squad look like without the players selected to represent the British Isles?

LH: Healy, Kilcoyne, Byrne
    HK: Herring, Kelleher, Heffernan
    TH: Moore, O'Toole, Bealham
    LK: Ryan, Roux, Thornbury, Baird, Dillane
    BS: Jos. Murphy, O'Donoghue
    No. 8: Doris, Coombes
    SH: Gibson-Park, Casey, Cooney
    OH: H. Byrne, Carbery, Frawley
    LW: Stockdale, Larmour
    IC: C. Farrell, T. Daly
    OC: Hume, Ringrose
    RW: Baloucoune, Earls
    FB: Keenan, J. O'Brien

Although I myself would probably go for Josh Wycherley over Edward Byrne and Tommy O'Brien instead of Keith Earls. Caolin Blade would be unlucky to miss out - especially if they're not really serious about Cooney moving forward.

I hope they don't revert to O'Mahony at blindside. His smarts make him a good openside, but I don't think he has the brute physicality for 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Billy Burns is current no 2 ? You left him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

What might an Ireland squad look like without the players selected to represent the British Isles?

Although I myself would probably go for Josh Wycherley over Edward Byrne and Tommy O'Brien instead of Keith Earls. Caolin Blade would be unlucky to miss out - especially if they're not really serious about Cooney moving forward.

I hope they don't revert to O'Mahony at blindside. His smarts make him a good openside, but I don't think he has the brute physicality for 6.

Earls, Healy, Ringrose, POM, Kilcoyne why would we play them for these games in summer?
    As you mention Cooney is not really in the picture so bring a young lad.
    This should be players of the future.

Plus the 2 10's in the 6 nations you have dropped out of the squad entirely? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Keeping standby players match fit may be a factor in selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Keeping standby players match fit may be a factor in selection.

Better start pumping minutes into Harry Byrne :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Good squad. I'd take EOS ahead of Byrne, but think Farrell prefers Byrne, and Eric's progress has stalled a bit. Dunno if Herring needs to go - probably better to give Kelleher a straight run.

Both Addison and Lowry are significantly better than O'Brien, though, and Lowry is probably better at ten than Frawley.

On the Ireland captain. Hendo going on his second Lions tour. He has to be top of the list to replace Sexton at this stage?

Ryan of course I expect to be captain but he is very young.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Having Healy and Kilcoyne both in the squad would be such a silly thing to do IMO.

Loosehead is a real problem for us. Neither of those lads will be around at the world cup and it would be a waste of a prime opportunity to blood players for 2023.

I wouldn't be against the idea of just moving on from Healy at this stage. He'll go down as one of Irelands greatest ever but he's 34 now, offers nothing outside the scrum and been very average for a long time.

Take a punt on a young prop like we did with Porter in 2017. Callum Reid at Ulster is very highly rated and Milne and Wycherley have both impressed for Leinster and Munster respectively.

• Advertisement

TRC10 wrote: »
    Having Healy and Kilcoyne both in the squad would be such a silly thing to do IMO.

Loosehead is a real problem for us. Neither of those lads will be around at the world cup and it would be a waste of a prime opportunity to blood players for 2023.

I wouldn't be against the idea of just moving on from Healy at this stage. He'll go down as one of Irelands greatest ever but he's 34 now, offers nothing outside the scrum and been very average for a long time.

Take a punt on a young prop like we did with Porter in 2017. Callum Reid at Ulster is very highly rated and Milne and Wycherley have both impressed for Leinster and Munster respectively.

Let's wait til Reid has started an Ulster game before we go crazy. I hope he's that good, but no proper sense of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Eos for Byrne
    Boyle for josh murphy
    Ross Byrne in at ten for job with Addison covering 13/15

Let's wait til Reid has started an Ulster game before we go crazy. I hope he's that good, but no proper sense of it yet.

Porter had started 1 Leinster game in 2017.

And who's going crazy? Is having him in a squad as 3rd choice LH for games against the USA and another tier 2 nation really going crazy?

Have you noticed our top 2 looseheads are 34 and 33 and declining fast and theres a world cup in 2 years?

I'd say theres a lot of proper sense to it.

Anyway it doesn't necessarily have to be Reid. Wycherley literally started away at Clermont.

TRC10 wrote: »
    Porter had started 1 Leinster game in 2017.

And who's going crazy? Is having him in a squad as 3rd choice LH for games against the USA and another tier 2 nation really going crazy?

Have you noticed our top 2 looseheads are 34 and 33 and declining fast and theres a world cup in 2 years?

I'd say theres a lot of proper sense to it.

Anyway it doesn't necessarily have to be Reid. Wycherley literally started away at Clermont.

No, fair enough. And Reid has looked very good in the loose, what I've seen of him.

No, fair enough. And Reid has looked very good in the loose, what I've seen of him.

I thought so too, and he's very highly rated among the Ulster fanbase so could be worth a punt like Porter and Ryan in 2017.

But again, it doesn't have to be him. Could be Wycherley or Milne. But we desperately need a young loosehead to come through as Healy and Killer are really getting on and I don't think E.Byrne or E.O'S are the answer.

Porter going to SA puts to bed any talk of him moving back to LH until next season at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Good squad. I'd take EOS ahead of Byrne, but think Farrell prefers Byrne, and Eric's progress has stalled a bit. Dunno if Herring needs to go - probably better to give Kelleher a straight run.

Both Addison and Lowry are significantly better than O'Brien, though, and Lowry is probably better at ten than Frawley.

Shane Daly is the next cab off the rank at full back probably, then Lowry possibly. Jimmy O’Brien is nowhere near a call up yet. Either is Frawley and certainly not at 10 where he is no longer playing for Leinster. Can’t believe I’m responding to Richie’s post as if it was in anyway serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I'd let Addison get some gametime under his belt before making claims - the guy hasn't touched a ball in a year and a half.

I'd let Addison get some gametime under his belt before making claims - the guy hasn't touched a ball in a year and a half.

He'll have three wondrous Bungle Cup games to start motoring. If he's anywhere near where he was (and he's show flashes of class since coming back), he's in, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd be a big fan of Addison. He's a quality operator and a guy that's almost perfectly suited to the 23 jersey given his versatility and the impact he can bring. If he can get back to form he could easily make the first choice 23 IMO. He's well ahead of guys like O'Brien, although I would like to O'Brien involved too. Both if possible, Tommy and Jimmy. Both have looked very good for Leinster and deserve a crack.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd be a big fan of Addison. He's a quality operator and a guy that's almost perfectly suited to the 23 jersey given his versatility and the impact he can bring. If he can get back to form he could easily make the first choice 23 IMO. He's well ahead of guys like O'Brien, although I would like to O'Brien involved too. Both if possible, Tommy and Jimmy. Both have looked very good for Leinster and deserve a crack.

If Addison is fit and playing well I think you will find he could be a starter. It might be a case of just get him onto the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Addison makes Fitzgerald look robust

I wouldn't be investing time in him until he gets a lengthy period of game time - maybe in Nov

Until then Zebo should be straight in.

Bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think that Addison will challenge Keenan for the 15 shirt. After those 2, I think Haley would be next in line. JOB and Lowry are not too far off. Funny enough, fb seems to be an position that is strong right now.
    Shane Daly, I think will probably be a universal type player. He can play anywhere in the backline. I prefer him as a 13. But he's a very good wing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Addison already looks sharp in the bits we've seen of him. Tonight will be interesting.

I'm hoping the operation he has had might be crucial in making him more robust.

He is a great talent.

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Addison makes Fitzgerald look robust

I wouldn't be investing time in him until he gets a lengthy period of game time - maybe in Nov

Until then Zebo should be straight in.

Bye!

I don't agree that we shouldn't invest time in Addison, but I would guess he will probably need managed over the next while.

I do agree that Zebo should be straight into the squad, although maybe you mean straight into the team??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I just see Addison as a wasted spot. He hasn't had significant run of games for what...2 1/2 years?
    Ireland have plenty of options - Zebo, Lamour, Keenan - at FB and i would even prefer to see Lowry at FB instead of Addison.
    Disappointed to see Ulster have again put Stockdale back in at FB. The mind boggles.

Anyway back to Zebo! I was stirring the Zebo pot but yes i would also have him in the squad this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

https://twitter.com/RTENewsAtOne/status/1390658268301778944?s=20

Probably going to use the two games in July in the Aviva.

Wonder what the capacity will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

PCros wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RTENewsAtOne/status/1390658268301778944?s=20

Probably going to use the two games in July in the Aviva.

Wonder what the capacity will be?

Hopefully 10k similar to the UK for the upcoming PL matches but I wouldn't be surprised if it was lesser, maybe 5k ish

I just see Addison as a wasted spot. He hasn't had significant run of games for what...2 1/2 years?
    Ireland have plenty of options - Zebo, Lamour, Keenan - at FB and i would even prefer to see Lowry at FB instead of Addison.
    Disappointed to see Ulster have again put Stockdale back in at FB. The mind boggles.

Anyway back to Zebo! I was stirring the Zebo pot but yes i would also have him in the squad this summer.

If he is fit he should be back in for the summer. Whatever about a strongest Irish XV he is definitely good enough to be an extended squad.

If we have two tests we will have Stockdale, Earls, Lowe, Larmour, Keenan and Zebo as back three options, although I'd like to see Robert Baloucoune capped and then there is Andrew Conway and the forementioned Will Addison. I've probably forgotten someone there too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

bilston wrote: »
    If he is fit he should be back in for the summer. Whatever about a strongest Irish XV he is definitely good enough to be an extended squad.

If we have two tests we will have Stockdale, Earls, Lowe, Larmour, Keenan and Zebo as back three options, although I'd like to see Robert Baloucoune capped and then there is Andrew Conway and the forementioned Will Addison. I've probably forgotten someone there too.

Shane Daly as well who was capped during the ANC. We're not short of options, to be fair.

• Advertisement

Keenan and Zebo are definitely our 2 best full backs so yeah I'd have him in.

Larmour has had some good games at 15 but he's never really looked solid there. I think wing should be his primary position from now on.

I hate saying this but Lowry I think is too small to be an international 15. He's not too small to be a 10 however. And I'd love to see him in the squad as 10. He's different to all the other 10s we have.

Advertisement