Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭dublin49

if I was Furlong I would not take anything for granted,remember how the english prop suffered severe reputational damage against the beast on Lions Tour to SA.Cant remember his name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

errlloyd wrote: »
    I am pretty sure Denis O'Brien picked up Sexton and Heaslip's top ups back in the day. Back when he was paying Martin O'Neil and naming science buildings after himself to try and rehabilitate his image.

Him and BOI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

dublin49 wrote: »
    if I was Furlong I would not take anything for granted,remember how the english prop suffered severe reputational damage against the beast on Lions Tour to SA.Cant remember his name

Vickery
    And he's no Tadgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

The Japan game is interesting but I fear they won't be the same. They had 2-3 years entirely dedicated to the world cup to an extent that noone else ever has since then I don't think theve had a game. Shame but it would be amazing to see a team like them breach their 1 successfuly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

dublin49 wrote: »

Vickery was 33 on that tour , not really comparable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I never understand how with Munster you get the JP's of this world picking up the tab for certain players yet no Leinster types do the same. It could easily solve the salary issue with Furlong.

It doesn't really solve anything, it's not sustainable. And it's just another short term bandaid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

TRC10 wrote: »
    Who can blame him. He's probably the most valuable player in the world given his position and just how good he is.

In fact I'd argue he's in the top 2 players in the world.

Other than Furlong and Dupont, name a player who is the undisputed best in their position and as far ahead of the 2nd best as they are...

I'd argue that Faf and Aaron Smith are closer to Dupont than the next best TH is to Furlong.

I think this is a good deal for him. I'd say the IRFU wanted to lock him in till after the RWC and then they could lowball him on the next contract as he would be that bit older and unlikely to make the 2027 RWC.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Vickery was 33 on that tour , not really comparable

That and Bryce Laurence (Ref 1st test) elected not to bother reffing Vickery's side of the scrum at all. There was one crazy dumb penalty where Mtawira puts Vickery up in the air and drives him backwards and got a penalty for it.

Don't get me wrong, Mtawarira physically overpowered Vickery but the messing in the first half scrums was silly.

Adam Jones did ok when he came on though as I remember - different shape of a fella altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I'd argue that Faf and Aaron Smith are closer to Dupont than the next best TH is to Furlong.

I think this is a good deal for him. I'd say the IRFU wanted to lock him in till after the RWC and then they could lowball him on the next contract as he would be that bit older and unlikely to make the 2027 RWC.

Sure. There's some good 9s out there.

My point was that if you're sitting down to pick a world XV, Furlong and Dupont are the first 2 names on the team sheet, no questions asked. For every other position there's a debate to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I wonder if any more fixtures could be added for the summer? Even if we played Japan twice. This summer should see some new caps. Who gets to play tight head? I think Moore is certainly in with a shout. But, Bealham has been in the squads in recent times. O'Toole might finally get capped.
    Coombes will probably get into the 23. I think Doris will also play a part. I'd like to see a backrow of Coombes, VDF and Doris. I suppose we'll see Carberry too. Although, he hasn't really been very good since his return.
    I think Farrell will have a look at Daly and Addison starting in one match. Baird should start both, it would be great experience for him. I think Hume could possibly get into the squad also. These matches are an ideal opportunity to get these lads up and running.
    Hopefully we see Boyle and Thornbury get rewarded and Casey should be given the reins at 9. I think Farrell will opt for JGP, with Casey on the bench. It will be an interesting squad selection. The chance to instill some type of plan. Farrell has a chance to lay a foundation for the future. The world cup is coming up fairly quickly and all the focus should be on developing a plan and depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I wonder if any more fixtures could be added for the summer? Even if we played Japan twice. This summer should see some new caps. Who gets to play tight head? I think Moore is certainly in with a shout. But, Bealham has been in the squads in recent times. O'Toole might finally get capped.
    Coombes will probably get into the 23. I think Doris will also play a part. I'd like to see a backrow of Coombes, VDF and Doris. I suppose we'll see Carberry too. Although, he hasn't really been very good since his return.
    I think Farrell will have a look at Daly and Addison starting in one match. Baird should start both, it would be great experience for him. I think Hume could possibly get into the squad also. These matches are an ideal opportunity to get these lads up and running.
    Hopefully we see Boyle and Thornbury get rewarded and Casey should be given the reins at 9. I think Farrell will opt for JGP, with Casey on the bench. It will be an interesting squad selection. The chance to instill some type of plan. Farrell has a chance to lay a foundation for the future. The world cup is coming up fairly quickly and all the focus should be on developing a plan and depth.

I'm looking forward to seeing 36 year old Sexton being wheeled out against The States, only to go off injured after 20 minutes. Then we can have 60 minutes of Ross Byrne standing still and passing 10 yards behind the gainline, until we scrape a 3 point win against the USA.

Then we'll have Farrell tell us he's proud of the effort and "boys became men" And Sexton will assure us that all is fine, how fun the training is, and we're heading in the right direction. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Would you give Doris the summer off given his concussion issues? We know what he is capable of at International level. May be a good opportunity to blood Coombes at 8, Boyle even Penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Would you give Doris the summer off given his concussion issues? We know what he is capable of at International level. May be a good opportunity to blood Coombes at 8, Boyle even Penny.

He's due back for Leinster so he'll be available as it stands. He's still a young player himself so could benefit from playing those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Game time please for Kelleher, O'Toole, Baird, Doris (if fit), Coombes, Penny, Casey, Carbery and Baloucoune.

Any decent young LHs out there worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Josh Wycherley perhaps if he can return from injury shortly.

I do wonder if the reserve Lions players will play though. I imagine Kilcoyne or Healy are one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'd like to see Coombes, Baloucoune, Sheehan, EOS and O'Toole getting a run this summer.

If Doris is recovered then would definitely involve him.

I can't express how much I want to see Baloucoune given a chance with Ireland, and Coombes actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I know time should be invested in Casey but surely blade should go as third choice behind JGP and Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wegians89 wrote: »
    I know time should be invested in Casey but surely blade should go as third choice behind JGP and Casey

He should be in front of both of those two. Scrum halves should be Cooney/ Blade and one of Marmion/ Casey/ a leinster SH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Neil Francis banging his anti-residency rule drum again today after Quinn Roux's announcement that's he's leaving Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Neil Francis banging his anti-residency rule drum again today after Quinn Roux's announcement that's he's leaving Ireland

It’d be one thing if roux was completely leaving Ireland but he’s clearly said he intends to return to Galway to raise his family whenever he’s finished in France. He’s an Irish citizen who’s made galway his future home

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Game time for Kelleher, O'Toole, Baird, Doris (if fit), Coombes, Penny, Casey, Carbery, Lowry and Baloucoune.

anything else is a massive waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Everything after that comes Neil Francis is BS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

He should be in front of both of those two. Scrum halves should be Cooney/ Blade and one of Marmion/ Casey/ a leinster SH

I'd go JGP, Casey and Blade. Cooney is 31 now, the return on giving him game time is diminishing.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cooney's ship has sailed, no point investing time in him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

awec wrote: »
    Cooney's ship has sailed, no point investing time in him now.

Yeah I agree. He bloomed late in his career but Ireland never really jumped on it unfortunately. I wonder will he renew with Ulster after current contract or head off to France. As a kicking 9 with (some) international experience you'd have to think he'd coin it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

No issues with the Roux move. The Van Der Merwe transfer does make a mockery of the rule, gains eligibility then jumps ship almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭greenkiwi1

Think Kevin Obyrne deserves a shot. He did make the pro14 team of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Anyone that has followed Irish rugby for the last number of years must know that Cooney has as much chance of getting to play for Ireland now as I have, at best, he's a break glass in case of emergency S/H for us. There is no point in using the summer tour to invest time in him. The coaches know what he can do and should we ever get to need him in the future then the summer tour won't add to his value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Cooney and Zebo should be made captain and vice-captain.

Advertisement