Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Now the key thing is, what time those games are scheduled for. You'd assume they'd be at the latest 2pm to stop a clash with the Lions matches at 5.

Hopefully they’re are evening games after the lions games. Those 2pm starts are a ****ty kick off time.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Absolutely no point picking the big guns for these tests.

He has to bring in Penny, Balacloune, Lowry et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

starkid wrote: »

it should be a mix and match over the two games, probably half new and half experienced(ish) - USA beat scotland a few years ago when they didnt take them seriously and Japan could be tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

starkid wrote: »

There’s nothing to be learned by putting out scratch sides. Those players need to be seen beside the actual internationals. 3/4 new caps over 2 games would be a lot and about as much as we could expect.
    Big guns are away anyway so it’s just filling in around the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He could pick something like...

15 Hugo Keenan - still relatively inexperienced so the more game time the better
    14 Robert Baloucoune - no necessity to play Earls
    13 Garry Ringrose - need his experience and playmaker ability
    12 Chris Farrell - give him a run at 12
    11 Jacob Stockdale/James Lowe - game each for these two
    10 Joey Carbery - should play both matche
    9 Jamison Gibson Park/Craig Casey - gane about
    1 Cian Healy/Dave Kilcoyne - game about unless there is some amazing LH talent emerging that I'm unaware of.
    2 Rob Herring/Ronan Kelleher - game about
    3 Tom O'Toole - have Bealham as back up if it goes pear shaped
    4 James Ryan - no brainer
    5 Ryan Baird - give him both games
    6 Gavin Coombes - absolute no brainer
    7 Josh Van Der Flier - maybe try and give Penny minutes as well
    8 Caelan Doris - get him back ASAP.

I'd keep O'Mahony involved as if we have O'Toole, Baird, Coombes, Doris and even Kelleher to an extent that is an inexperienced pack.

People will have their own personal favourites of course, I know Caolan Blade is another to watch. Larmour will need to be involved too in the back three. We could maybe look at someone like James Hume or Tom Farrell in the centre as well and Jimmy O'Brien is another possibility, but I think those guys are slightly longer shots unless Ringrose gets a call up to the Lions.

But if we manage to cap Baloucoune, O'Toole, Coombes and Penny and give more experience to Keenan, Casey, Doris and Baird, plus get Carbery back playing then that will be a successful summer series. But as others have said surround these guys with the likes of Ringrose and Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

bilston wrote: »

15 Hugo Keenan - still relatively inexperienced so the more game time the better
    1 Cian Healy/Dave Kilcoyne - game about unless there is some amazing LH talent emerging that I'm unaware of.

I'd keep O'Mahony involved as if we have O'Toole, Baird, Coombes, Doris and even Kelleher to an extent that is an inexperienced pack.

People will have their own personal favourites of course, I know Caolan Blade is another to watch. Larmour will need to be involved too in the back three.

But if we manage to cap Baloucoune, O'Toole, Coombes and Penny and give more experience to Keenan, Casey, Doris and Baird, plus get Carbery back playing then that will be a successful summer series. But as others have said surround these guys with the likes of Ringrose and Ryan.

If Carbery is picked, it's on reputation. Incredible talent but his performances haven't warranted selection for Ireland. He probably will though and one can see why. If Sexton plays it's a joke. Hopefully H.Byrne is there as no.2.

TRC10 wrote: »
    If Carbery is picked, it's on reputation. Incredible talent but his performances haven't warranted selection for Ireland. He probably will though and one can see why. If Sexton plays it's a joke. Hopefully H.Byrne is there as no.2.

agree re carbery but harry byrne shouldnt be there when hes barely played for leinster, JC and Ross Byrne should get a game each at 10, with either Carty or Burns in the squad too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

bilston wrote: »

Yeah I think this is along the lines of what I'd like to see too. I wouldn't pick Chris Farrell at all tbh, but he seems to be popular with the coaching team.

Will Addison is someone who might come into the mix, I'd like to see him get a run either at 13 or 15.

Will Connors will be in the squad too so can't see there being room for Penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would like to see marty Moore get back in. He is only 30 and has a few more years in the tank. I'd also like to see Baird get the start in both matches. Imo, I don't know if he is going to be the star we think he will be. It would be a good look at him.
    Coombes will be involved and Doris should play a role in both matches. I'd also like to see Hume get a cap. I think Hume could make the world cup squad.

Yeah I think this is along the lines of what I'd like to see too. I wouldn't pick Chris Farrell at all tbh, but he seems to be popular with the coaching team.

farrell has pretty much always delivered at least a 7/10 when playing for ireland and tends to be very consistent for munster. id even have him above aki in my pecking order tbh but im probably in the minority there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Will Addison is someone who might come into the mix, I'd like to see him get a run either at 13 or 15.

Will Connors will be in the squad too so can't see there being room for Penny.

I can't see an Irish selection this summer without Thornbury, Daly and Wootton.

They are the 3 contenders for player of the season in a not bad Connacht team, and will reach their carreer pick for RWC..

salmocab wrote: »
    There’s nothing to be learned by putting out scratch sides. Those players need to be seen beside the actual internationals. 3/4 new caps over 2 games would be a lot and about as much as we could expect.
    Big guns are away anyway so it’s just filling in around the holes.

the usual unjustified, restraint heard around these parts. The big guns aren't away, alot of them weren't selected for the Lions.

Nothing to be learnt picking Sexton, POM, Earls, Ringrose, Healy etc. And if we do we are mugs.

It shouldn't be a scratch side, but Coombes, Balacloune, Penny, Lowry, Casey, Baird, Carbery all should be in the mix. Bilstons team is probably acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

connachta wrote: »
    I can't see an Irish selection this summer without Thornbury, Daly and Wootton.

They are the 3 contenders for player of the season in a not bad Connacht team, and will reach their carreer pick for RWC..

Thornbury is in with a great chance with Henderson, Beirne and Roux out of the picture. Assuming Ryan and Baird are definites, it's probably two from Kleyn, Dillane or Thornbury next.

Daly might well get a call-up if they decide they've seen enough of McCloskey and it's time to look elsewhere.

Can't see Wootton featuring tbh; even if Earls gets the summer off, there's Lowe, Stockdale, Baloucoune, Conway and Daly ahead of him. And Wootton's defence is awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I reckon we'll see generally 3 per position in the squad. So something like:

LH: Healy, Kilcoyne, Byrne/EOS
    HK: Herring, Kelleher, Hefernan
    TH: O'Toole, Bealham, Ryan
    LK: Ryan, Baird, Dillane, Thornbury, Whycherley
    BS: POM, Coombes
    N8: Doris, Stander, Timoney

SH: JGP, Casey, Blade
    OH: Sexton/Byrne, Burns, Carbery
    IC: McCloskey, Daly
    OC: Ringrose, Hume/Farrell/Addison
    WG: Larmour, Lowe, Balacoune
    FB: Keenan, Stockdale

We need to be aware that anyone on the stand by list for the Lions (Ryan, Stander, Sexton) will need to be involved.

Loosehead is a problem position. We really need a contender coming through and we don't really have one right now. What's the latest on Josh Whycherley does anyone know?

At hooker we could do with another young lad stepping up. Hopefully Sheehan can do that in the next season or so. But for the moment we're okay.

At outside centre I think Farrell will be involved ahead of Hume, but I'd rather a more like for like at 13 and Hume fits the bill better than Farrell. Could Farrell move to 12 maybe? Or could Will Addison be involved? He's class, but has hardly featured for Ulster between injury and suspension.

We could see 2 23s like:

EOS, Herring, O'Toole, Baird, Ryan, Stander, VDF, Doris, JGP, Sexton, McCloskey, Ringrose, Stockdale, Balacoune, Keenan
    Kelleher, Kilcoyne, Bealham, Thornbury, Coombes, Casey, Carbery, Addison

Healy, Kelleher, O'Toole, Baird, Ryan, Coombes, POM, Doris, Casey, Carbery, McCloskey, Addison, Lowe, Larmour, Stockdale
    Heffernen, EOS, Bealham, Whycherley, Penny, Blade, Burns/Byrne, Ringrose

That way we get a look at the likes of EOS, O'Toole, Balacoune, Thornbury, Coombes, Whycherley, Penny, and Blade. We continue to develop Kelleher, Baird, Doris, Keenan and Casey. And we have some core experience there in the form of Healy, Killer, Herring, Ryan, Stander, POM, VDF, Sexton, Ringrose, Addison, Larmour and Stockdale.

Thornbury is in with a great chance with Henderson, Beirne and Roux out of the picture. Assuming Ryan and Baird are definites, it's probably two from Kleyn, Dillane or Thornbury next.

Daly might well get a call-up if they decide they've seen enough of McCloskey and it's time to look elsewhere.

Can't see Wootton featuring tbh; even if Earls gets the summer off, there's Lowe, Stockdale, Baloucoune, Conway and Daly ahead of him. And Wootton's defence is awful...

I totally agree with Wootton defence, but some would say he isn't that far from Lowe, and offensively great, not far if not better than the very best... So in the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Wegians first suggested in Connacht rugby thread but it wouldn’t totally shock me to see Niall Murray as a bolter in the squad or brought in for development purposes anyway. 21 years old, only picked up rugby seriously around five years ago having played at centre for couple of years, man of the match v Munster last weekend, incredible athlete. For a late comer to the game, seems to have very strong fundamentals right now.

Other players probably more ready to play international rugby right now but if you’re thinking long term his potential looks massive.

yerrahbah wrote: »

Nope
    It's over
    squad player for Munster

yerrahbah wrote: »

remember when wootton was going on to the press about how he was better than zebo?

Nope
    It's over
    squad player for Munster

suuure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

molloyjh wrote: »
    I reckon we'll see generally 3 per position in the squad. So something like:

LH: Healy, Kilcoyne, Byrne/EOS
    HK: Herring, Kelleher, Hefernan
    TH: O'Toole, Bealham, Ryan
    LK: Ryan, Baird, Dillane, Thornbury, Whycherley
    BS: POM, Coombes
    N8: Doris, Stander, Timoney

SH: JGP, Casey, Blade
    OH: Sexton/Byrne, Burns, Carbery
    IC: McCloskey, Daly
    OC: Ringrose, Hume/Farrell/Addison
    WG: Larmour, Lowe, Balacoune
    FB: Keenan, Stockdale

We need to be aware that anyone on the stand by list for the Lions (Ryan, Stander, Sexton) will need to be involved.

Loosehead is a problem position. We really need a contender coming through and we don't really have one right now. What's the latest on Josh Whycherley does anyone know?

At hooker we could do with another young lad stepping up. Hopefully Sheehan can do that in the next season or so. But for the moment we're okay.

At outside centre I think Farrell will be involved ahead of Hume, but I'd rather a more like for like at 13 and Hume fits the bill better than Farrell. Could Farrell move to 12 maybe? Or could Will Addison be involved? He's class, but has hardly featured for Ulster between injury and suspension.

We could see 2 23s like:

EOS, Herring, O'Toole, Baird, Ryan, Stander, VDF, Doris, JGP, Sexton, McCloskey, Ringrose, Stockdale, Balacoune, Keenan
    Kelleher, Kilcoyne, Bealham, Thornbury, Coombes, Casey, Carbery, Addison

Healy, Kelleher, O'Toole, Baird, Ryan, Coombes, POM, Doris, Casey, Carbery, McCloskey, Addison, Lowe, Larmour, Stockdale
    Heffernen, EOS, Bealham, Whycherley, Penny, Blade, Burns/Byrne, Ringrose

That way we get a look at the likes of EOS, O'Toole, Balacoune, Thornbury, Coombes, Whycherley, Penny, and Blade. We continue to develop Kelleher, Baird, Doris, Keenan and Casey. And we have some core experience there in the form of Healy, Killer, Herring, Ryan, Stander, POM, VDF, Sexton, Ringrose, Addison, Larmour and Stockdale.

Klyen or Niall Murray for Wycherley. Boyle for timoney and you’re into a winner.

Don’t see stander going either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Nope
    It's over
    squad player for Munster

All jokes aside, I think AF might want Zebo to show some form for Munster before potentially calling him up.

But it wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world to see him being called up this summer

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Klyen or Niall Murray for Wycherley. Boyle for timoney and you’re into a winner.

Don’t see stander going either

Kleyn may be involved for a bit of beef all right. I haven't seen enough of Murray to comment on him though.

If Stander is on the stand by list for the Lions then he will be involved. If he isn't then he won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd hope we look at a few different 9's this summer. JGP played well enough for Ireland in the Six Nations but not to the level where he'd be undisputed first choice if Murray were injured. And with respect to Craig Casey I just don't think he's ready to play a major role at test level. Has looked rather uncomfortable lately with Munster.

remember when wootton was going on to the press about how he was better than zebo?

He is. Even without tackling:D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Murray still looks very slight for a lock. Granted he's 21 and will grow but his frame looks quite small, even compared to someone like Baird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Murray still looks very slight for a lock. Granted he's 21 and will grow but his frame looks quite small, even compared to someone like Baird.

He's put on huge amount of bulk in the past 18 months or so, I doubt there's much between him and Baird.

Murray is RWC 2027 material, so is Prendergast
    Heffernan and Bealham may reasonably miss out
    Boyle is unlucky but too many competition in back-row
    So you can't say I'm biased.

If Farrell stops to be, I think Thornbury, Dillane and one of Connach SH should be involved

Daly, Wootton, Carty, are 50/50

Hensen may be the next Addison, bursting into the Irish squad just before RWC, let's hope

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Bazzo wrote: »
    He's put on huge amount of bulk in the past 18 months or so, I doubt there's much between him and Baird.

I think both are around the 111kg/112kg mark. To me, Baird looks to have the most potential to grow physically.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    I'd hope we look at a few different 9's this summer. JGP played well enough for Ireland in the Six Nations but not to the level where he'd be undisputed first choice if Murray were injured. And with respect to Craig Casey I just don't think he's ready to play a major role at test level. Has looked rather uncomfortable lately with Munster.

So if not Murray, Casey or JGP then who should we look at? 31 year old Cooney? McGrath, who I am a fan if in blue but who has clear deficiencies in some of the primary skill areas? Are there even a few 9s left after that?

Advertisement