Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

bilston wrote: »
    How many is "some"?

There are 1200 going to the Leinster/Dragons game.

So you would hope it would be a good bit more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Seems to be a bit of concern surrounding Ireland U-20 center Dan Kelly, switching allegiance to England in the next few weeks
    He's not in the Irish U-20's squad for next months 6 nations... but there is an A game between England & Scotland next month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

Seems to be a bit of concern surrounding Ireland U-20 center Dan Kelly, switching allegiance to England in the next few weeks
    He's not in the Irish U-20's squad for next months 6 nations... but there is an A game between England & Scotland next month

If he wants to go hopefully the press don't make a big deal of it. We don't need to be chasing players, unlike the football team

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Not terribly surprised, he's been going well at Leicester and signed a new deal a few months ago (in the announcement they referred to him as a 'former' Irish u20 representative but that's probably reading into it a bit much).

Not terribly surprised, he's been going well at Leicester and signed a new deal a few months ago (in the announcement they referred to him as a 'former' Irish u20 representative but that's probably reading into it a bit much).

I'd say former is spot on...he's not made himself available for the Irish 6nations squad next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

IRFU saying details about tickets for Japan and USA will be announced as soon as possible. If Leinster can have 1,200 fans in RDS in June would expect more fans could get to Aviva in July. Think it's building up to 5,000 or 25% capacity whichever is lower by time of All Ireland so maybe capacity will be somewhere in between that. https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/05/28/ireland-fans-set-for-aviva-stadium-return-in-july/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'd say former is spot on...he's not made himself available for the Irish 6nations squad next month.

Yeah what I meant was the announcement of his new deal was made back in March and said he was a former representative before there was any mention of him not making himself available for the squad, so looks like a conversation/decision may have been had as part of his new deal

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If Dan Kelly decides to switch then best of luck to him. I'd rather he makes that decision now rather than stringing everyone along for a couple of years.

Cracking player. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's a pity. I think Munster would have been interested.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/reports%3A-andy-farrell-set-to-take-up-lions-coaching-role/639701

no issue at all with this.
    good to have an extra voice in the coaching room who would be pro green

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/reports%3A-andy-farrell-set-to-take-up-lions-coaching-role/639701

no issue at all with this.
    good to have an extra voice in the coaching room who would be pro green

Theres still going to be an Irish summer camp with 2 games already set to go ahead. Will there be a timing issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Faugheen wrote: »
    If Dan Kelly decides to switch then best of luck to him. I'd rather he makes that decision now rather than stringing everyone along for a couple of years.

Cracking player. Best of luck to him.

Utterly stupid if he chooses to be English 5th choice when he has a good chance to be Irish starting 12 right after RWC 2023 with Aki/Henshaw in their 30's

He should refuse caps for now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

From Murray Kinsella
    "We would have liked to contract Tadhg Furlong for longer than one year but that was his choice to sit back and think the landscape will have changed in a year," says the IRFU's David Nucifora.

Poorly worded or is Nucifora intimating that he doesn't see much scope next year to offer Furlong much more than they did this year?

phog wrote: »
    From Murray Kinsella

Poorly worded or is Nucifora intimating that he doesn't see much scope next year to offer Furlong much more than they did this year?

i wouldn't expect the IRFUs chief contract negotiator to advertise the fact that IRFUs finance MAY be better next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

connachta wrote: »
    Utterly stupid if he chooses to be English 5th choice when he has a good chance to be Irish starting 12 right after RWC 2023 with Aki/Henshaw in their 30's

He should refuse caps for now

Man born and raised in England wants to play for england nothing stupid about it. Off with him.

Theres still going to be an Irish summer camp with 2 games already set to go ahead. Will there be a timing issue?

Ireland v USA game on 10th July. Could make it out for the tests if not South Africa A game on 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Eod100 wrote: »
    Ireland v USA game on 10th July. Could make it out for the tests if not South Africa A game on 14th.

with the bubble situation i doubt thats an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

nerd69 wrote: »
    Man born and raised in England wants to play for england nothing stupid about it. Off with him.

Agreed. There's also very likely a man born and raised in Ireland who wants to play for Ireland, so everyones a winner

with the bubble situation i doubt thats an option

Ah had forgotten that. 1st test on 24th so not sure how it would work so.

From Murray Kinsella

Reads more like Furlong accepted a 1 year deal in the hope of getting a 2 year deal next season on much better terms

• Advertisement

Reads more like Furlong accepted a 1 year deal in the hope of getting a 2 year deal next season on much better terms

I think that's Furlongs hope and I hope he gets an offer he can't refuse but Nucifora saying he sat back kinda gives an impression that Furlong wasn't in the mood for negotiating. We saw where that got us with Sexton a few years back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think that's Furlongs hope and I hope he gets an offer he can't refuse but Nucifora saying he sat back kinda gives an impression that Furlong wasn't in the mood for negotiating. We saw where that got us with Sexton a few years back.

They would have liked a 2 year deal but got 1 is pretty much the definition of negotiating ;)

He is just saying that the 1 year option was Furlong's choice as he thinks the financial landscape will be better next year. A not unreasonable viewpoint. Don't think there is much more to read into it.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They would have liked a 2 year deal but got 1 is pretty much the definition of negotiating ;)

He is just saying that the 1 year option was Furlong's choice as he thinks the financial landscape will be better next year. A not unreasonable viewpoint. Don't think there is much more to read into it.

Well, it depends...if the landscape doesn't improve in the meantime, it's a good bet that Furlong won't accept an offer of the same, or lesser value.

Podge_irl wrote: »

I suppose it depends on what you'd class as negotiating, If "sitting back" means not moving from a one year deal regardless what the IRFU offer then it would be hard to call that negotiating.

I suppose it depends on what you'd class as negotiating, If "sitting back" means not moving from a one year deal regardless what the IRFU offer then it would be hard to call that negotiating.

:D

that DEFINITELY did not happen

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

At around the same age, Sexton got a four year deal. I imagine Furlong expects similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭dublin49

It is a calculated gamble for a prop to take a shorter contract than whats on offer ,Jack McGrath's difficulties being a salutory lesson in how ones bargaining power can change quite quickly in the Pro game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

At around the same age, Sexton got a four year deal. I imagine Furlong expects similar.

The current pandemic has unfortunately scuppered a lot of comparisons though.

Also Furlongs replacement being selected for the Lions has probably reduced some of his bargaining power.

I'm NOT saying Porter is as good or better than Furlong.

But we'd have been in a much stickier position if Johnny left 4 years ago than if Tadgh left now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Blade won his place (again) today in the Irish squad.

Daly impressive again

Aki way better than last week rust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I would like to see Daly given a chance.
    Should be interesting to see who Farrell gives game time at 12 v USA & Japan.
    McCloskey/Daly/Farrell

Advertisement