Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

When's this squad due to be named?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

When's this squad due to be named?

id imagine they want about 10 days together before games so probably name the squad end of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭TheG0AT

Surely a game to give fringe guys a chances and rest frontline players.

We've nothing to learn from picking guys that have been in there before. Give Casey, Healy, Blade and some of the recent under 20's teams a chance. Combes surely has to get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Dont know
    3rd July is game v Jap.
    Should be this wk.

TheG0AT wrote: »

We've nothing to learn from picking guys that have been in there before. Give Casey, Healy, Blade and some of the recent under 20's teams a chance. Combes surely has to get a chance.

young lads will be given a chance... but there wont be 15 players with less than 5 caps each named, so expectations should be tempered.

id like to see different combinations or experience and inexperience used ...... such as hume with ringrose, a back 3 of keenan, balacoune and earls.... casey and sexton... james ryan and Wycherley... etc

• Advertisement

Dont know
    3rd July is game v Jap.
    Should be this wk.

it wont be before the last round of the care bear cup

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭TheG0AT

sydthebeat wrote: »
    young lads will be given a chance... but there wont be 15 players with less than 5 caps each named, so expectations should be tempered.

id like to see different combinations or experience and inexperience used ...... such as hume with ringrose, a back 3 of keenan, balacoune and earls.... casey and sexton... james ryan and Wycherley... etc

That's fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

sydthebeat wrote: »

nail on the head, in fairness japan and usa are handy enough so we cant just throw out any team against either. really hope we see someone like haley at 15 for one of the games, keenans been great but apart from him stocks are pretty low. ideally id have carbery there but i wont hold my breath....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

If I could pick the team for the Japan (Jul 3rd) and USA (Jul 10th) matches, I'd go with a ban on anyone over 28 with a view to getting a proper look at the next generation.

So,

1. Ed Byrne
    2. Rónan Kelleher
    3. Tom O'Toole
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Ryan Baird
    7. Van der Flier
    8. Gavin Coombes
    9. Caolin Blade
    10. Joey Carbery
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    12. Stuart McCloskey
    13. James Hume
    14. Robert Baloucoune
    15. Hugo Keenan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

If I could pick the team for the Japan (Jul 3rd) and USA (Jul 10th) matches, I'd go with a ban on anyone over 28 with a view to getting a proper look at the next generation.

So,

1. Ed Byrne
    2. Rónan Kelleher
    3. Tom O'Toole
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Ryan Baird
    7. Van der Flier
    8. Gavin Coombes
    9. Caolin Blade
    10. Joey Carbery
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    12. Stuart McCloskey
    13. James Hume
    14. Robert Baloucoune
    15. Hugo Keenan

Put Daly in it and we rather agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We definitely drew the short straw with the international games this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

So,

1. Ed Byrne
    2. Rónan Kelleher
    3. Tom O'Toole
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Ryan Baird
    7. Van der Flier
    8. Gavin Coombes
    9. Caolin Blade
    10. Joey Carbery
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    12. Stuart McCloskey
    13. James Hume
    14. Robert Baloucoune
    15. Hugo Keenan

very little/no experience in that team though.add 2/3 experienced forwards, an experienced half back and 1/2 experienced backs and theres a team there. japan beat ireland the last time they played lets not forget and usa caught out scotland a few years ago when they threw out half a team so we cant just put out any old team

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

TheG0AT wrote: »

Giving 15 young lads a run out isn't a great idea. What Ireland will need to do is identify the areas that we need to blood someone and the players who have been demanding selection. Then figure out how to give those guys the best chance of succeeding.

Say we want to blood a TH for example, which we'll need to given Furlong and Porter aren't available. We'll likely need to put in at least 1 other experienced front row and an experienced TH lock. So we may chose to play Healy in 1 game in order to give O'Toole (I'm assuming) a better platform to perform off.

To my mind the areas that most require blooding are 1, 3, 9, 10 and 13. Add to that guys like Coombes and Balacoune, who both demand selection, and lock where we will be missing Henderson and Roux is out of the picture so will need to consider who we look to there as well and I think we have a pretty broad range of areas to look at, given it is only 2 games.

So, EOS at LH and TOT at TH are the inexperienced guys we should be looking at in the front row. Baird will continue to get a look in at lock and we might see another young lock involved (Dillane will likely be involved too). In the back row we're pretty well stocked, but Coombes will almost certainly be heavily involved.

At half backs Casey will continue to get time but we are stuck at 10. Harry Byrne is injured, Healy hasn't been performing and neither has Carbery. Ross Byrne and Billy Burns are both available but aren't exactly the future at 10. I do wonder, given our situation, whether Conor Fitz might get a call up. It's highly unlikely, but may not be the worst idea in the world, even if he's just in camp.

In the backs then we are stuck at 12. McCloskey is the next cab so will probably start. Ringrose is first choice 13 but I would like to see Hume get some time in the centre. Maybe McCloskey-Ringrose for Japan and Ringrose-Hume for USA? Then Balacoune has to feature in some capacity on the wing.

So that's EOS, TOT, Baird, Coombes, Casey, Hume and Balacoune or something similar. 7 new/young guys would be a good return, especially when we consider that Harry Byrne would likely have been involved too but for his injuries. Guys like Kelleher, Doris and Keenan are all pretty new/young too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

molloyjh wrote: »
    In the backs then we are stuck at 12. McCloskey is the next cab so will probably start. Ringrose is first choice 13 but I would like to see Hume get some time in the centre. Maybe McCloskey-Ringrose for Japan and Ringrose-Hume for USA?

You're forgetting Farrell (unless he's injured?) who's next in line

TBH, I would probably move on from McCloskey at this point. He's a decent player but just not in the coach's plans so let's look at someone else.

You're forgetting Farrell (unless he's injured?) who's next in line

TBH, I would probably move on from McCloskey at this point. He's a decent player but just not in the coach's plans so let's look at someone else.

Didn't think of Farrell at 12 tbh, but he hasn't exactly been lighting it up at Munster. I agree we should be moving on from McCloskey, but to who? I don't think there's any stand out young 12s out there, is there? Effectively we just need a fall back 12 while Henshaw and Aki are away.

Didn't think of Farrell at 12 tbh, but he hasn't exactly been lighting it up at Munster. I agree we should be moving on from McCloskey, but to who? I don't think there's any stand out young 12s out there, is there? Effectively we just need a fall back 12 while Henshaw and Aki are away.

Tom Daly is the obvious answer to your question there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The Connacht lads won't like that...

I agree re (Chris) Farrell, he's no better than McCloskey IMO but (Andy) Farrell seems to like him.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ringrose at 12 with Hume at 13. There's Frawley too but he's perma-injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Wouldn't mind seeing Ringrose at 12 with Hume at 13. There's Frawley too but he's perma-injured.

Daly Balacoune Keenan back 3 with that midfield.

Casey and Ross at half back.

I'd go with a strong enough pack.

Kilcoyne Kelleher Bealham Ryan Baird Doris VDF Boyle

The Connacht lads won't like that...

I agree re (Chris) Farrell, he's no better than McCloskey IMO but (Andy) Farrell seems to like him.

I don't think the idea of bringing in a 27 year old Tom Daly is the solution tbh. With Aki with the Lions and SOB heading to Exeter then that's just Daly remaining (Tom Farrell is injured AFAIK). Daly has been good for Connacht, but he's not Test quality. The reality is, I don't think we have any young 12s making a case right now. So let's just go with the guy who has a bit of experience and see what we can do elsewhere.

Worth noting that Addison should be available for the USA game too actually....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Daly Balacoune Keenan back 3 with that midfield.

Casey and Ross at half back.

I'd go with a strong enough pack.

Kilcoyne Kelleher Bealham Ryan Baird Doris VDF Boyle

I'd swap Blade for casey there.

I don't think the idea of bringing in a 27 year old Tom Daly is the solution tbh. With Aki with the Lions and SOB heading to Exeter then that's just Daly remaining (Tom Farrell is injured AFAIK). Daly has been good for Connacht, but he's not Test quality. The reality is, I don't think we have any young 12s making a case right now. So let's just go with the guy who has a bit of experience and see what we can do elsewhere.

Of the provinces, we have a few with promise that could play 12, sorted by age:
    Dan Goggin (26) Munster
    Conor O'Brien (25) Leinster
    Sammy Arnold (25) Connacht
    Tommy O'Brien (23) Leinster
    James Hume (22) Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Of the provinces, we have a few with promise that could play 12, sorted by age:
    Dan Goggin (26) Munster
    Conor O'Brien (25) Leinster
    Sammy Arnold (25) Connacht
    Tommy O'Brien (23) Leinster
    James Hume (22) Ulster

Peter Robb too if that Poor kid could stay fit.

He's as likely as Arnold or Goggin at this point I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Can't wait to see Coombes in green. First name on the team sheet for me in terms of new caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Eos
    Kelleher
    Bealham
    Thornbury
    Ryan
    Coombes
    Vdf
    Doris
    Jgp
    Bryne
    Stockdale
    Daly
    Ringrose
    Balacoune
    Keenan

Herring
    Kilcoyne
    Tot
    Baird
    Pom
    Blade
    Carbery
    S Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think T.O.B will be a future capped international. He looks to be a real gem. Hume at 12 would also be worth a look. I don't see Frawley being as durable as Hume. McCloskey should probably be moved on. He's been on the fringe for a long time. Daly is a possible short term option, but I would go with a younger player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

15-Keenan/Zebo
    14-Baloucoune/Larmour
    13-Hume
    12-Ringrose
    11-Stockdale
    10-Carbery
    9-Casey/Blade
    1-Kilcoyne (+Wycherley in the squad as we badly need to blood some LHs)
    2-Kelleher
    3-O'Toole
    4-Dillane
    5-Ryan
    6-POM/Baird
    7-VDF
    8-Doris/Coombes

We should definitely be giving Sexton, Earls and Healy the summer off ahead of their last seasons.

We badly need to blood a young LH, probably Whycherly. Killer and Healy are starting to get on and will be 35/36 at the WC.

Baloucone and Coombes are 2 players who definitely have earned their chance.

I'd also have H.Byrne subbing for Joey. Burns and Ross.B aren't at the level required so there's no point in investing in them when the game time could go to Harry.B

TRC10 wrote: »
    15-Keenan/Zebo
    14-Baloucoune/Larmour
    13-Hume
    12-Ringrose
    11-Stockdale
    10-Carbery
    9-Casey/Blade
    1-Kilcoyne (+Wycherley in the squad as we badly need to blood some LHs)
    2-Kelleher
    3-O'Toole
    4-Dillane
    5-Ryan
    6-POM/Baird
    7-VDF
    8-Doris/Coombes

We should definitely be giving Sexton, Earls and Healy the summer off ahead of their last seasons.

We badly need to blood a young LH, probably Whycherly. Killer and Healy are starting to get on and will be 35/36 at the WC.

Baloucone and Coombes are 2 players who definitely have earned their chance.

I'd also have H.Byrne subbing for Joey. Burns and Ross.B aren't at the level required so there's no point in investing in them when the game time could go to Harry.B

Harry Byrne is injured. Pretty sure Whycherley is too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

I think Daly is well worth a go at test level. He has shown enough for me to put him ahead of both Farrell’s and Hume McCliskey this season.

People will use the fact he wasn’t played at Leinster lazily to back their point he’s not up to it but he has moved up in my view in terms of performance and has consistency.

Has he done enough to unseat Farrell - probably not and that is the benchmark by which he will be selected.

If he can bag a half dozen eye catching big games he might raise the question in Farrells eyes. But knowing Farrells crippling conservatism he won’t take the risk of playing a cast off in many peoples eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Harry Byrne is injured. Pretty sure Whycherley is too.

Wycherley returned for the As last week.

Advertisement