Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Thornbury, Josh Murphy and Hume are the ones I think should be in there. Wycherley's a bit small for lock at international level, but would make a good blindside.

I believe Thornbury is injured but it's hard to know for sure as Connacht are quite poor at releasing injury updates

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

No James Lowe either. That back injury must be worse than initially reported.

Ruddock has the worst luck with injuries as well. Was in the form of his life this season

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

No Hume is a bit ridiculous to me, unless he’s carrying an injury. He’s miles ahead of Chris Farrell. Quicker, better foot work and skill level. For me Hume is breathing down Garrys neck so for him to miss out entirely is bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thornbury, Josh Murphy and Hume are the ones I think should be in there. Wycherley's a bit small for lock at international level, but would make a good blindside.

If they don't deploy Wycherley at 6 then there's a real lack of a big, hard 6 in the mould of a Jerome Kaino. Boyle, Coombes, Doris and Timoney are all better used as footballing 8s and O'Mahony should stick to openside.

John Ryan and McCloskey seem like dead end selections a bit. Is Martin Moore injured? Based on how little McCloskey has actually been used over the years, I think it would have been better to consider Farrell as a 12 and have Hume in there.

Murphy should probably have been taking the summer off anyway after his incident with Hastings so it shouldn't be too bitter a pill to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

Marmion's exclusion is yet again unfathomable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭greenkiwi1

typhoony wrote: »

Blade deserves his shot - the better of the 2 players on this seasons form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

greenkiwi1 wrote: »
    Blade deserves his shot - the better of the 2 players on this seasons form.

Different types of players but one thing I did notice during the season is that when Marmion came on for Blade in a number of games there was a noticeable increase in tempo. In my opinion Marmion is a better player.

Luke McGrath has missed out on selection again. I think he's an excellent 9 in many aspects, but has never really sorted out his passing to a high enough standard. He's also prone to the odd brain fart which has dogged him his entire career. JGP timed his return from injury very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I think Cooney might have worked well with Carbery. Carbery with the running game and Cooney with the game control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Not really, they've invested a fair bit in Casey already so it was probably between himself and Blade - and since he's lost his place at Connacht to Blade, not sure he can grumble really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Clegg wrote: »
    Luke McGrath has missed out on selection again. I think he's an excellent 9 in many aspects, but has never really sorted out his passing to a high enough standard. He's also prone to the odd brain fart which has dogged him his entire career. JGP timed his return from injury very well.

And gave a timely reminder of his ability.

I thought he was excellent against Dragons

• Registered Users Posts: 24,313 ✭✭✭✭phog

Happy enough with that squad, I had Thornbury down as a possibility for the squad.

No Cooney or Luke McGrath means their hopes of appearing for Ireland in the future have all but gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Why has he picked a 37 man squad for two test matches?

Anyway good mix of youth and experience.

With my Ulster hat on I'm disappointed Hume isn't in, but I always had a suspicion that Ringrose not making the Lions would count against Hume a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Poorside wrote: »
    kind of scratching my head as to my PoM is there

Leadership, lineout, pull angry faces and dropping elbows onto opponents

An odd stat that just jumped out at me there.

There is a Blackrock College past pupil in each of the 4 provinces represented in this squad

Connacht - Heffernan
    Leinster - Doris, Ringrose, Keenan
    Munster - Carbery, Conway
    Ulster - Timoney

Must be a rarity or possibly even the first time that 1 school has international representatives in all 4 provinces

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Poorside wrote: »
    Decent squad, delighted for Paul Boyle, kind of scratching my head as to my PoM is there

I don't actually have a problem with POM being there. These squads should be a mix of experienced test players and potentials.

The players I have issue with are the likes of McCloskey, Farrell, Timoney, Wycherly. These guys will never make it, though I accept that there is an element of needing bodies to fill out a squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »
    I wouldn't have brought Conway. But I suppose there aren't many wings around who have out their hand up recently. Would have liked to see Jimmy O'Briens form get rewarded, but he's a 15 rather than a wing and we already have two better fullbacks in there.

Such a young back 3 that there's no harm in having a more experienced player there to help guide them. Same with POM in the pack.

Delighted with that squad tbh

id imagine he'll be captain for at least one of the games, other than him only ringrose comes to mind for the job

And possibly James Ryan (the named captain?)...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

id imagine he'll be captain for at least one of the games, other than him only ringrose comes to mind for the job

James Ryan as well (EDIT: what arsebiscuits said).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

awec wrote: »
    McCloskey, Farrell, Timoney, Wycherly. These guys will never make it, though

bollox. farrell is always in the mix for one of the centre slots, wycherly is still pretty young

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

not really... blade has been better than him this season.

marmion and cooneys ship has sailed at this stage i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

And possibly James Ryan (the named captain?)...

fair, didnt see him named first but i had a look at the official announcement. wouldve hoped ryan wouldve been given time off to get himself fully back to his best tbh

but regarding POM, the pack looks i bit light on experience and leaders anyway so no harm having him there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    I don't actually have a problem with POM being there. These squads should be a mix of experienced test players and potentials.

The players I have issue with are the likes of McCloskey, Farrell, Timoney, Wycherly. These guys will never make it, though I accept that there is an element of needing bodies to fill out a squad.

You see with regards to Timoney, before Coetzee's departure I'd have agreed, but he has come on massively recently.

That said I agree in that I don't really see him ever being an Irish squad regular, but it's decent recognition of some good form.

McCloskey is a waste of time, I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Kilcoyne
    Kelleher
    Bealham
    Baird
    Dillane
    Timoney
    O’Mahony
    Boyle
    Blade
    Carbery
    Baloucoune
    Daly
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Addison

Jouez :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Very happy with that squad. It will always be harsh on some players who miss out but the direction is great. Really looking to give the young lads a chance.

Thrilled that they left Healy and Sexton out. We know what they can bring, they will start the internationals next year wen fit (barring any supernatural performances by young players) so they would benefit from the rest and a solid pre season.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Kilcoyne
    Kelleher
    Bealham
    Baird
    Dillane
    Timoney
    O’Mahony
    Boyle
    Blade
    Carbery
    Baloucoune
    Daly
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Addison

Jouez :)

Can't see Addison starting, since his return from injury he only had half an hour off the bench vs Connacht and then 40 mins before being sent off against Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Can't see Addison starting, since his return from injury he only had half an hour off the bench vs Connacht and then 40 mins before being sent off against Munster

That's my selection for an Irish Barbarians style team based on that squad.

Cant see Farrell picking anything near that selection

bollox. farrell is always in the mix for one of the centre slots, wycherly is still pretty young

Farrell makes squads but is well behind Aki, Henshaw and Ringrose at this stage.

Don't think he's ever built on the performance against Wales in 2018. Not his fault as he's been injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Farrell is a decent standard player, but he’s not any better than a bad ringrose, he’s a solid option but isn’t going to set the world on fire.

Mccloskey has had numerous big stage days to impress and never taken any.

Wycherley is a different prospect, younger and his work around the field is excellent, he has potential and that’s what’s he’s in there for. He might make it and he might not but he deserves a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Boyle and Daly won't, but Blade plays for RWC inclusion here, should we take 3 SH.
    Come on Coalin :)

Advertisement