Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Farrell is a decent standard player, but he’s not any better than a bad ringrose, he’s a solid option but isn’t going to set the world on fire.

Mccloskey has had numerous big stage days to impress and never taken any.

Wycherley is a different prospect, younger and his work around the field is excellent, he has potential and that’s what’s he’s in there for. He might make it and he might not but he deserves a shot.

farrell is incredibly underrated imo. he was probably the best back at the last RWC (not much of an achievement tbh) and deserved to start at 12 against NZ. Hes not had as much fanfare for munster this season since hes alongside DDA but hes still been very good overall. hes a much better 3rd choice option than Aki for me and he offers an increased physicality over all of them

McCloskey I'll agree, although i think hes unlucky in that farrell is basically a better version of him who can play 13 and 12

Wycherley, also agreed so i dont see why he was included in the list originally

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say with the size of the squad and the opposition it might be two different 15s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Mccloskey has had numerous big stage days to impress and never taken any.

Yeah those 4 Ireland caps would tell you loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I'd be interested to see a bit more of Farrell at inside centre. He's massive and physical, and a good passer, but his lack of an outside break is a bit limiting at 13. I think Smith had the right idea, playing him at 12 in a few games, although I can't remember offhand which ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

mfceiling wrote: »

Four caps in five and a half years tells you a fair bit though.

I presume the comment was in relation to big days for Ulster and I think it's fair enough tbh.

McCloskey deserves to have more than 4 caps IMO, but I'm struggling to see how barreling over a few hapless American guys will change Farrell's mind about him. I would have left him out and brought in Hume. TBH it's hard to imagine how McCloskey would be psyching himself up for this after so many call-ups with no end product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Best thing about the squad is no Sexton or Earls!
    Next best is having Joey Carbery and Baloucoune in an Irish squad.
    I hope they starts both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Murray Kinsella has posted some quotes from Andy Farrell regarding the squad selection. Cooney, Eric O'Sullivan, Lowe, Ross Byrne and Thornbury all missed out due to injury.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

(Farrell's) a much better 3rd choice option than Aki for me and he offers an increased physicality over all of them

I'd disagree here. I think Aki had a better performance against England than we've seen from Farrell for Ireland, for example. Some of his wide passing that day was excellent too, which we hadn't really seen too much of from him before.

Aki's tackle technique is an issue tho, it's something he'll have to be more careful with in the future, and Andy seems to be a fan of Chris.

aloooof wrote: »
    I'd disagree here. I think Aki had a better performance against England than we've seen from Farrell for Ireland, for example. Some of his wide passing that day was excellent too, which we hadn't really seen too much of from him before.

have to disagree with your disagreement, thought we looked incredibly one-dimensional and lacking width against england despite the improvements elsewhere. it was one of aki's better games definitely, but i wouldn't say it wouldve made a difference whether it was aki/farrell/ringrose with RH in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Four caps in five and a half years tells you a fair bit though.

I presume the comment was in relation to big days for Ulster and I think it's fair enough tbh.

McCloskey deserves to have more than 4 caps IMO, but I'm struggling to see how barreling over a few hapless American guys will change Farrell's mind about him. I would have left him out and brought in Hume. TBH it's hard to imagine how McCloskey would be psyching himself up for this after so many call-ups with no end product.

That's a fair point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'm surprised Haley hasnt made the squad. He's had a great year with Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Haley is someone who can feel hard done by. He's had a great year. Would have said the same for Thornbury but he's injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Seems a bit like they sold him a dummy by including him in the Ireland training squad when he was approached by Glasgow, and now dropping him when it might have been given a chance.

Edit, am I misremembering that? Was he included in the training squad

Edit. I was talking about Ben Healy not Mike Haley.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,313 ✭✭✭✭phog

Clegg wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella has posted some quotes from Andy Farrell regarding the squad selection. Cooney, Eric O'Sullivan, Lowe, Ross Byrne and Thornbury all missed out due to injury.

He is also supposed to have said his outhalfs were still going to be the 3 he picked so Byrne was losing out injury or no injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's a zero sum game though. You've already got Keenan, Addison and Larmour. One of them would have to miss out to facilitate Haley.

Edit: plus Stockdale and Conway who can do a job there too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

It's a zero sum game though. You've already got Keenan, Addison and Larmour. One of them would have to miss out to facilitate Haley.

On form I'd have Haley ahead of Conway, Addison and Larmour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

mfceiling wrote: »

Has he ever shone in a European game?

Has he ever shone in a European game?

He was excellent in the quarter-final against Leinster a few years ago.

Thomas Ahern is back available, isn't he? I'd like to have seen him in there, with one eye on the rugby union World Cup in France in two years' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I know, i actually think he is more deserving of a place than conway, addison and stockdale this year based on form. But i undertand they all offer more versatility.

i just think he's been one of Munsters better players this year and i thought he would be in teh squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Pretty strange squad.

Why have such a huge squad for 2 home games? He's basically picked everyone not on the Lions tour.

Why are guys like Dooley and Molony there? They're in their late 20s and aren't European Cup standard, so why are they in an international squad. It would be much more productive to invest in younger players. I'd have had Treadwell or Thornbury or even Kleyn there over Molony.

I don't understand Farrell's love for Dave Heffernan.

John Ryan...........just, why?

Conway should be nowhere near that squad on current form.

I don't get the Shane Daly hype, he's never stood out for me in any Munster game I've seen, at least done nothing to show he's international class

I don't see the point in investing in Addison as he's 29 and injured 90% of the time.

Good to see Timoney there, one of the most underrated players in Ireland IMO.

Although I'm delighted Healy, Sexton and Earls have been left out. I thought for a while we might actually see a 36 year old out half wheeled out against the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Odd selection to be sure. I was gobsmacked when I saw Dooley in the squad! But, who knows? Molony is a fringe type player who would be a good shout off the bench.
    Hume was one lad I was hoping to see. I think he will be in the mix soon enough. Farrell cannot be called conservative, he could cap potentially 10 new players. Nick Timoney is vastly under rated! He won't be a regular international, but he was superb this year.
    Any way for Japan
    Dooley
    Herring
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Ryan
    POM
    Vdf
    Doris
    JGP
    Carberry
    Stockdale
    Daly
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Keenan

Kelleher
    Byrne
    Ryan
    Baird
    Coombes
    Blade
    HB
    Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I used to actually respond to posts about why Bundee Aki was better than random centre X in the Ireland thread, then I stopped bothering my hole when it was getting very repetitive, now I think I'll just post this:

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

TRC10 wrote: »
    Pretty strange squad.

Why have such a huge squad for 2 home games? He's basically picked everyone not on the Lions tour.

Why are guys like Dooley and Molony there? They're in their late 20s and aren't European Cup standard, so why are they in an international squad. It would be much more productive to invest in younger players. I'd have had Treadwell or Thornbury or even Kleyn there over Molony.

I don't understand Farrell's love for Dave Heffernan.

John Ryan...........just, why?

Conway should be nowhere near that squad on current form.

I don't get the Shane Daly hype, he's never stood out for me in any Munster game I've seen, at least done nothing to show he's international class

I don't see the point in investing in Addison as he's 29 and injured 90% of the time.

Good to see Timoney there, one of the most underrated players in Ireland IMO.

Although I'm delighted Healy, Sexton and Earls have been left out. I thought for a while we might actually see a 36 year old out half wheeled out against the USA.
    Picking a bigger squad so he and other coaches can get better look at some players i guess.
    I think Dooley is european standard and would be that all time if playing elsewhere and not behind Healy....
    If going on age Treadwell/Thornbery are older/about same age as Molony so not exactly right options if going on about picking younger options
    Dubinusa wrote: »
    Odd selection to be sure. I was gobsmacked when I saw Dooley in the squad! But, who knows? Molony is a fringe type player who would be a good shout off the bench.
    Hume was one lad I was hoping to see. I think he will be in the mix soon enough. Farrell cannot be called conservative, he could cap potentially 10 new players. Nick Timoney is vastly under rated! He won't be a regular international, but he was superb this year.
    Any way for Japan
    Dooley
    Herring
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Ryan
    POM
    Vdf
    Doris
    JGP
    Carberry
    Stockdale
    Daly
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Keenan

Kelleher
    Byrne
    Ryan
    Baird
    Coombes
    Blade
    HB
    Daly

You are gobsmacked by Dooley but then pick him to start the games....:confused:
    Who instead of him would you have picked then?

Bazzo wrote: »
    I used to actually respond to posts about why Bundee Aki was better than random centre X in the Ireland thread, then I stopped bothering my hole when it was getting very repetitive, now I think I'll just post this:

tom court was a lion too........

Picking a bigger squad so he and other coaches can get better look at some players i guess.
    I think Dooley is european standard and would be that all time if playing elsewhere and not behind Healy....
    If going on age Treadwell/Thornbery are older/about same age as Molony so not exactly right options if going on about picking younger options

Dooley has been behind Ed Byrne at Leinster for the last 3 years. I'm sorry but he's nowhere near Ireland standard. Having Reid or Milne there as 3rd choice would be far more productive with a view to 2 years down the line.

Regarding Molony, my point was that Treadwell, Thornbury (who is injured), and Kleyn, are all in the same age bracket and are better players.

I also think Wycherley at 6'4 is way to small too be an international lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭TheG0AT

tom court was a lion too........

Tom Court was drafted in as a replacement, who was in the vicinity of the tour, and they didn't want to fly someone half way across the world for a glorified friendly in mid week.

Same happened with a scottish scrum half who was covering a lions tour and when couple of scrum halves got injured he was asked if he hd bpoots and could join the squad. Mike Blair i believe.

Comparing Tom Court's Lions experience to Bundi Aki, who was selected in the initial squad for this tour only highlights your own ignorance and stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'd be interested to see a bit more of Farrell at inside centre. He's massive and physical, and a good passer, but his lack of an outside break is a bit limiting at 13. I think Smith had the right idea, playing him at 12 in a few games, although I can't remember offhand which ones.

Sorry Dickie_Dick89 who is Smith? Was he one Farrell's coaches in France?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

On form I'd have Haley ahead of Conway, Addison and Larmour.

Ahead of Conway and Addison at 15, yes I agree.

Including larmour in with those three though makes no sense whatsoever.

• Advertisement

If there was a game against England tomorrow, what 2nd rock pairing would you prefer..

Molony and Wycherley

or Treadwell and Kleyn

Advertisement