Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

VANG1 wrote: »
    You know who you are. Even more pathetic trying to start an argument. Grow up, worse than my kids.
    This is my third post in here. I asked could it be moved to the Leinster thread as it is genuinely pathetic the toys being thrown about in here because one of your players didnt get picked. Get a grip. No one has said anything derogatory about the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

damianmcr wrote: »
    This is my third post in here. I asked could it be moved to the Leinster thread as it is genuinely pathetic the toys being thrown about in here because one of your players didnt get picked. Get a grip. No one has said anything derogatory about the player.

Oh give over, do you really think people can't see right through what you're trying do do?

Nobody else is making it provincial, only you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

is james ryan not an ireland player ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

He’s the Ireland captain at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

sydthebeat wrote: »
    is james ryan not an ireland player ???

Yes but that'd be no fun. You cant stir an almost entirely Irish forum based on that. You have to make it provincial.

• Advertisement

When you accidentally admit you only support players from your province for Ireland :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

When you accidentally admit you only support players from your province for Ireland :pac:
    I could have came in here for a windup and it is genuinely funny how Leinster fans are taking it but I didnt. I clicked in here today to see if anyone had any team news for the weekends game.

Either way I wont post again. Dont want to upset anyone else.

I could have came in here for a windup and it is genuinely funny how Leinster fans are taking it but I didnt. I clicked in here today to see if anyone had any team news for the weekends game.

Either way I wont post again. Dont want to upset anyone else.

Most devastated I've been since my beloved Leinster player wasn't picked for the Lions

• Registered Users Posts: 20,227 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

VANG1 wrote: »
    James Ryan is a top player and will prove all his detractors wrong. He is very young and is improving. I have no doubt he will be on the next Lions tour. It is pathetic to see Irish supporters talking him down. Get a life, he always gives everything to the jersey.

Ah, that's silly. I agree he gives everything for the Jersey, but I also acknowledge that his form hasn't been great this year (which makes it hard to argue that he is improving when we acknowlthst his form has actually disapproved this year) but he will certainly gain experience over the years. Picking the next lions tour is ridiculous considering that we would all have presumed Ryan would have been picked on form for this tour until his form dipped and he wasn't picked.

I think he's a very good player and I imagine his form will pick up again. Pretending we can pick players who will make the 2025 tour is silly when we would have all picked the same player for thisbtour but he wasn't picked.

I don't think there is any much glee on display, but definitely a couple of posters who would seem to preference the narrative that Ryan was not picked due to his inferiority as a player and not his inferior fitness as they are resoundingly dismissing the latter as a possibility.

Outside of a few headers on twitter and some journo's seeking retweets the majority (if not uniform) sentiment on here from anyone else is not that "Ryan definitely missed out because of injury" but more that he may well have missed out on merit, but it's also possible that an injury (the extent to which may not yet be understood, and adductor injuries are finicky) may have been a deciding factor.

Cowan Dickey travelling is not the same situation at all, a player isn't going to be dropped that has already been selected if they are likely to feature soon enough (and there are countless examples of this - Tommy Bowe being a particularly long term example). Bringing in a replacement with a potential fitness issue however when you have the luxury of calling up someone with no such issue is a no brainer and Cowan Dickey might be Gatland's first preference, Beard and Ryan are definitely not.

People clinging to this 'might be available at the weekend' are ignoring the 'might' for some reason and it's not like there haven't been literally countless examples of players 'maybe featuring this weekend' only to disappear for a few months with a more serious than perceived issue.

I personally couldn't really care less who goes - happy to have more live sport and with the Irish contingent going well last weekend we may see good representation in the test team. Looking forward to getting revenge on Japan on Saturday so personally I hope Ryan is fit and has a stormer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

So… anyone wanna talk about the possibility of Balacoune starting at the weekend??

aloooof wrote: »
    So… anyone wanna talk about the possibility of Balacoune starting at the weekend??

I'd love to see it. But I fear Farrell will go for established players like Larmour or Conway v Japan and then hand out the debuts v USA.

But I'd love to see Baloucoune start. I've been impressed with his aerial and finishing ability and obviously his speed. His 2 finishes v Leinster were top drawer. I've seen him lose the ball in contact or try to force an offload a few times but nothing that can't be ironed out. He's a cracking player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

These matches are certainly an opportunity to blood some new lads. I would like to see O'Toole start and Coombes start. Carberry will probably start, I would prefer HB. I think Farrell will opt for experience against Japan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

sydthebeat wrote: »
    thats quite a selective narrative. is that any more likely than:

Gatland: "we're assessing options for replacing AWJ, what's the story with James Ryan?"

IRFU: "he picked up an abductor injury during the week, which we are monitoring."

Gatland: "Ok, We need him to go immediately, but hes out of contention now, thanks anyway"

Meanwhile at Exeter...

Gatland: "How's Cowan Dickie doing?"

Exeter: "Well he got KTFO and stretchered off and will have to miss at least a week"

Gatland: "Hmm..."

Exeter: "Also, this is Exeter, **** knows if he's vaccinated and SA is being ravaged by Covid"

Gatland: "Ah **** it, have you any idea what a PITA a name change on a flight is? Send him over with Hill and Hogg."

Exeter: "And Gray?"

Gatland: "Who?"

Meanwhile at Exeter...

Gatland: "How's Cowan Dickie doing?"

Exeter: "Well he got KTFO and stretchered off and will have to miss at least a week"

Gatland: "Hmm..."

Exeter: "Also, this is Exeter, **** knows if he's vaccinated and SA is being ravaged by Covid"

Gatland: "Ah **** it, have you any idea what a PITA a name change on a flight is? Send him over with Hill and Hogg."

Exeter: "And Gray?"

Gatland: "Who?"

If anybody was pissed off about Ryan missing out, it was in May when the squad was announced. People think that Beard getting picked is some sort of last nail in the coffin, but it really is not.

Cowan-Dickie could well be in Gatland's test team and only has to go through the RTP protocols and is guaranteed to be available in a week.

Ryan obviously wasn't within an asses roar of the test team, and now he has a groin strain which could flare up at any moment.

It's really not difficult to understand why a player who is not even in Gatland's top 6 locks, and now also has fitness doubts wouldn't be taken on the eve of the tour, when all he's going to be doing is playing against the provincial sides anyway.

The Ryan debate was had in May when he wasn't picked in the original squad. This is really a non-issue. And I don't get why so many people are determined to make it an issue.

Anyway, my team for Japan

15-Keenan
    14-Baloucoune
    13-Hume
    12-McCloskey
    11-Stockdale
    10-Carbery
    9-Casey
    1-Killer
    2-Kelleher
    3-O'Toole
    4-Baird
    5-Ryan
    6-Coombes
    7-VDF
    8-Doris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Japan are a very decent side, I’d go for:

Kilcoyne
    Herring
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Baird (Ryan I’d fit)
    Pom
    Vdf
    Doris
    Jgp
    Carbery
    Stockdale
    Mccloskey (possibly Daly)
    Farrell
    Larmour
    Keenan

Kelleher
    Byrne
    O toole
    Wycherley
    Coombes
    Casey
    Burns
    S Daly

I really hope we don't get beaten by Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Turns out G.Coombes and F.Wycherley are the exact same age having been born on the same day

Would be fitting if they make their Irish debut on the same day

Seems strange as I've thought of Commbes being an up and coming player and Wycherley being almost part of the furniture

It wouldn't be good but if they play a team for the future and get beaten then its not so bad.

The important thing is getting gamete for the younger lads and experience of being in camp and the week prepping for an international. I think Ireland puts too much emphasis on being in camp for a 6 nations before they consider picking some players, but that's the way it works. Once they're capped, they can be capped in bigger games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,311 ✭✭✭✭phog

Looking at them play last weekend it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that we could be chasing the game. At this stage they have a game under their belt too so should have a bit more fluidity in their game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I just hope we see signs that the England game wasn't a complete fluke. That performance was great, but was so much better than anything that preceded it that I'm not sure if it's a genuine sign of squad development or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »
    I just hope we see signs that the England game wasn't a complete fluke. That performance was great, but was so much better than anything that preceded it that I'm not sure if it's a genuine sign of squad development or not.

Completely different squad to the England game, there's something like 13 or more out of the 23 that faced England not available for these tests, so I wouldn't be drawing any parallels at all from past games to be honest.

I think the tempo Japan showed against the Lions could really stretch us defensively if there isn't that cohesion there depending on what sort of 15 he puts out

That would be ideal but I given that it's a different squad of players, i don't think form could possibly carry over to any great degree. It would be nice to see a good brand of rugby and nice to see more ingenuity in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Turns out G.Coombes and F.Wycherley are the exact same age having been born on the same day

Would be fitting if they make their Irish debut on the same day

Seems strange as I've thought of Commbes being an up and coming player and Wycherley being almost part of the furniture

That's gas that they're the same age to the day. Given they're both Cork men I wonder were the in the same hospital. Some story if that was the case

I can see the point of it seems Wycherley being a good bit older - he made his debut a full 18 months before Coombes and has racked up 25 more appearances than him so far.

They were seriously looking at Fineen as a 6 in his earlier career with him racking up 7 starts at blindside in the 18/19 (season in which Coombes made his debut) all the while they were seriously looking at Coombes in the 4/6 Hybrid in his earlier days before he settled on 8 and had his breakout season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

As others have said, the fact it is a significantly different squad means the comparisons will be hard to make.

But it will be interesting to see how some of the younger guys integrate into the squad and how our game has evolved. The players will have had a decent amount of time in camp so they'll have had a chance to prepare well.

Personally I'm looking forward to these two matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Think I'd go with:
    Dooley
    Herring
    Tot
    Baird
    Ryan/ Dillane
    POM
    VDf
    Coombes
    Blade
    HB
    Stockdale
    McCloskey
    DALY
    Larmour
    Keenan

Kilcoyne
    Kelleher
    Bealham
    Molony
    Doris
    Casey
    Carberry
    Hume

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I'd hope they just pick the strongest possible side for Japan, as they looked good against the Lions, and we should treat it like a grudge match not an experimental match.
    The USA match is tailor-made for experimenting, and we're playing USA again in a few months so can beat them then if we don't beat them this time.

So for Japan, I'd say best possible selection is,

Kilcoyne, Heffernan, Bealham,
    Baird, Ryan,
    O'Mahony, Coombes, Van der Flier,
    Blade, Carbery,
    Stockdale, McCloskey, Hume, Baloucoune,
    Keenan.
    Replacements: Kelleher, Byrne, O'Toole, Dillane, Doris, Casey, Burns, Larmour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I'd hope they just pick the strongest possible side for Japan, as they looked good against the Lions, and we should treat it like a grudge match not an experimental match.
    The USA match is tailor-made for experimenting, and we're playing USA again in a few months so can beat them then if we don't beat them this time.

So for Japan, I'd say best possible selection is,

Kilcoyne, Heffernan, Bealham,
    Baird, Ryan,
    O'Mahony, Coombes, Van der Flier,
    Blade, Carbery,
    Stockdale, McCloskey, Hume, Baloucoune,
    Keenan.
    Replacements: Kelleher, Byrne, O'Toole, Dillane, Doris, Casey, Burns, Larmour.

Has Herring really gone from starting hooker to, at best, third choice?

I'd say Hume is more likely to feature against the States (although he is obviously well-versed in playing with McCloskey). Would love to see Baloucoune start, and Coombes.

I'll be honest - very nervous about what that Matsushima might do to Stockdale.

I'd say Hume is more likely to feature against the States (although he is obviously well-versed in playing with McCloskey). Would love to see Baloucoune start, and Coombes.

Not 3rd choice but I'd say probably 2nd choice. Kelleher has ironed out his set piece issues and his work around the field is top notch. Hence why he's 1st reserve for the Lions.

I don't rate Heffernan too highly myself. I'd have Scannell ahead of him personally. At least Scannell is solid as a rock at scrum and lineout and also handy at the breakdown. I don't see what Heffernan's selling point is and he's 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

No issue starting Herring either, just in my opinion Heffernan is worth a start, he has been good this season getting plenty of starts with Connacht, all three hookers are well capable.

Advertisement