Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just reading back my last post, I realise it sounds contradictory to say no experimenting but I suggested a load of new caps.

I was thinking along the lines of selecting the strongest possible team in my opinion rather than the most experienced team.

The most experienced selection could be:
    Kilcoyne, Herring, Ryan,
    Dillane, Ryan,
    O'Mahony, Doris, Van der Flier,
    Gibson-Park, Burns,
    Stockdale, McCloskey, Farrell, Larmour,
    Keenan.
    Replacements: Kelleher, Byrne, Bealham, Baird, Coombes, Casey, Carbery, Conway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I really don't think this match should be squandered. It's and ideal chance to give some new lads a run out against a strong enough side. Playing the Eagles is really not a barometer to measure a players ability at international level. There's nothing to be gained playing John Ryan. He won't be traveling to the next world cup. O'Toole is worth a shot. Nothing to fear, he's either going to sink or swim. Same situation with Coombes! He is ready, imo.
    It's really a chance to gauge new players! Why play lads who won't make the rwc? Timoney, Boyle and Molony are probably fringe players. The Eagles would be a good opportunity for them. Balacoune will be starting soon, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Just reading back my last post, I realise it sounds contradictory to say no experimenting but I suggested a load of new caps.

I was thinking along the lines of selecting the strongest possible team in my opinion rather than the most experienced team.

The most experienced selection could be:
    Kilcoyne, Herring, Ryan,
    Dillane, Ryan,
    O'Mahony, Doris, Van der Flier,
    Gibson-Park, Burns,
    Stockdale, McCloskey, Farrell, Larmour,
    Keenan.
    Replacements: Kelleher, Byrne, Bealham, Baird, Coombes, Casey, Carbery, Conway.

I think we will something like that for Japan, although I expect Carbery at 10. The management will want to see him get minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Will be another wasted opportunity if they don't try some new combinations. No doubt AF is in mortal terror of another loss against Japan. Seeing he was so heavily involved in our debacle at the World Cup. Will be ten times worse if it happens playing some of the teams suggested.

Just give Balacloune his start, bring in Joey, play Baird and Coombes. AF has shown some willingness to try more than others so who knows. But doing it against the USA only will be utterly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

starkid wrote: »
    Will be another wasted opportunity if they don't try some new combinations. No doubt AF is in mortal terror of another loss against Japan. Seeing he was so heavily involved in our debacle at the World Cup. Will be ten times worse if it happens playing some of the teams suggested.

Just give Balacloune his start, bring in Joey, play Baird and Coombes. AF has shown some willingness to try more than others so who knows. But doing it against the USA only will be utterly pointless.

I mean....they have no choice but to try new combinations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Is Roux available? If he is I think I would go for a second row pairing of him and Ahern.

Maybe James Ryan at blindside if he makes it back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The thing is I’m not sure how much can be learned about combinations in a match with a fairly scratch team. Good for players to get a cap and a run out against an international team but say a new half back pairing and a new centre combination isn’t really going to show too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Is Roux available? If he is I think I would go for a second row pairing of him and Ahern.

Roux is heading to France, we've seen the last of him in Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The most "established" team possible is

Kilcoyne Herring Bealham
    Ryan Dillane
    POM Doris VDF
    JGP Carbery
    Stockdale McCloskey Farrell Conway
    Larmour

I mean, that's the worst case and it's hardly a stale line-up full of tired old has-beens. Drop one or two new caps in and it's downright thrilling.

They've invested a lot of time in O'Toole and I think they'll want to give him the start. Japan aren't exactly Georgia when it comes to scrummaging so he should be fine.

I think Kelleher's post 6 Nations form will nudge him ahead of Herring. Herring has done a good job for us since Best retired but Kelleher is the future.

Larmour I think is a winger now. Keenan and Addison should get a start each.

I pray they don't pair McCloskey with C.Farrell. It's such a one dimensional centre pairing. It was done before v Fiji in 2017 and it just didn't work. Hopefully they go with a playmaker like Daly at 12 or Hume at 13 who can make an outside break, and pair one of them with a crash centre like Farrell or McCloskey.

Farrell will be keen to get as many minutes as he can into Joey, so I think he'll start both games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Why not start Ryan in the second row and move Ahern to his natural position of fullback?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Expect to see Pom start but hopefully it’ll be in the 7 jersey with Coombes at 6 and Doris at 8.

Don’t want to see Mccloskey getting a start, would rather one of the uncapped lads and Farrell in there.

Stockdale Herman and Larmour to start in the back m three.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Expect to see Pom start but hopefully it’ll be in the 7 jersey with Coombes at 6 and Doris at 8.

Don’t want to see Mccloskey getting a start, would rather one of the uncapped lads and Farrell in there.

Think VDF will start, with Japan, you need a fast openside.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Herman?

They put O'Mahony in front of the press today.

That would indicate he's captain and Ryan is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yaaay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Herman?

Keenan* autocorrect

Team out at 1pm, for the refreshers

Keenan* autocorrect

I prefer Herman. He's Herman from now on - even looks like a Herman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Team out at 1pm, for the refreshers

Genuinely excited for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I prefer Herman. He's Herman from now on - even looks like a Herman.

I hope you haven't forgotten about He-Shaw

Ireland team to play Japan – 3rd July 2021, Aviva Stadium

15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 11 caps
    14. Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 29 caps
    13. Chris Farrell (Munster/Young Munster) 14 caps
    12. Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 4 caps
    11. Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Lurgan) 34 caps
    10. Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 22 caps
    9. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 9 caps
    1. Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 43 caps
    2. Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 11 caps
    3. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 14 caps
    4. Ultan Dillane (Connacht/Corinthians) 18 caps
    5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 35 caps captain
    6. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 75 caps
    7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 31 caps
    8. Caelan Doris (Leinster/UCD) 7 caps

Replacements
    16. Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 21 caps
    17. Ed Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 4 caps
    18. John Ryan (Munster/Cork Constitution) 23 caps
    19. Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 3 caps
    20. Gavin Coombes (Munster/Young Munster) uncapped
    21. Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 1 cap
    22. Billy Burns (Ulster) 6 caps
    23. Shane Daly (Munster/Cork Constitution) 1 cap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Ireland team to play Japan – 3rd July 2021, Aviva Stadium

15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 11 caps
    14. Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 29 caps
    13. Chris Farrell (Munster/Young Munster) 14 caps
    12. Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 4 caps
    11. Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Lurgan) 34 caps
    10. Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 22 caps
    9. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 9 caps
    1. Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 43 caps
    2. Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 11 caps
    3. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 14 caps
    4. Ultan Dillane (Connacht/Corinthians) 18 caps
    5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 35 caps captain
    6. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 75 caps
    7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 31 caps
    8. Caelan Doris (Leinster/UCD) 7 caps

Replacements
    16. Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 21 caps
    17. Ed Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 4 caps
    18. John Ryan (Munster/Cork Constitution) 23 caps
    19. Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 3 caps
    20. Gavin Coombes (Munster/Young Munster) uncapped
    21. Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 1 cap
    22. Billy Burns (Ulster) 6 caps
    23. Shane Daly (Munster/Cork Constitution) 1 cap

Wow not so excited now !!

Literally the most conservative team possible, apart from Herring and Conway.

I know we're playing a good team but jesus christ.

Would Baloucoune, Coombes, O'Toole, Hume or Casey really have been such a huge risk v Japan?

I'd hate to be a back 3 player with that centre pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I had assumed Kelleher wouldn't be able to play as he was with the Lions for the last few weeks. But maybe he was deemed safe as he was moving from one secure bubble to another? Anyway I'm glad to see him start.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The bench isn't the greatest. Some good players there, but only Baird and Coombes can offer some physicality if it's needed. It's to be expected though considering we're missing over a dozen players through Lions call ups and injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, I'm disappointed with that now. If we are going to see a bunch of promising guys getting calped now it will need to happen en masses vs USA. I'm really not sure that would be all that valuable to anyone. Surely mixing and matching a bit more would have been more useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Can't help but think Japan's showing last week forced AF's hand a bit into trying more established guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Disappointing selection. Farrell will really come under the pump now if Japan pull off the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Does this not happen before all these games, people build up all the new players starting and then when they aren’t are surprised?

Advertisement