Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Can't help but think Japan's showing last week forced AF's hand a bit into trying more established guys

Can't argue with selection really. Needed VDF at openside and the two centres will cut a lot of attack out at source. Coombes and Baird to come of f the bench and cause havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Well, colour me underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Stockdale will be glad to hear that Matsushima is playing 15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Coombes :D

I wouldn't even mind if Baloucoune or Hume were on the bench.

But Shane Daly...why?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

salmocab wrote: »
    Does this not happen before all these games, people build up all the new players starting and then when they aren’t are surprised?

There's normally a bit more integration of new caps into the team. Coombes is the only uncapped player in the 23. We're missing about a dozen guys too. That's disappointing in my book. There's room to throw in someone like O'Toole in there.

Is that pretty much full strength? No Sexton I guess. I'm happy to see the best team out to beat Japan. They looked good last week.

TRC10 wrote: »

But Shane Daly...why?!

Why not?

The fact that John Ryan (33) is playing in a summer test in a Lions year vs Japan actually has me in tears.

They've invested so much in O'Toole and Japan aren't a scrummaging powerhouse. It's the perfect opportunity to look at him

It's blatant fear from Farrell.

Good to see Ryan's injury wasn't too bad.

That's a really mobile Irish pack.

Could make for an entertaining game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Trey13

I was very critical of Farrell for not bringing through more players during the 2020 Six Nations and Autumn Nations Cup but I must say I am happy with how things are progressing since then. Aside from John Ryan’s selection I think he’s got a good balance of experience and inexperience. Certain players like Keenan, Doris, Gibson Park, Kelleher are still relatively new to the international scene. It’s also an opportunity for players like Kilcoyne or JDF to step up and take leadership roles.

The bench looks good with a lot of players with few caps so I’m happy for them to get a run out again. While I enjoy seeing newcomers I don’t think we should play every uncapped player for the sake of it. There will be more scope to bring in fresh players against the USA. Japan deserve our respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ugh! As expected. No liathroids by AF. I'm happy to see Coombes. Very conservative team selection. Oh well, a slew of new caps v the Eagles. Which of course, will not be a good look at the uncapped players.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Can't entirely blame Farrell to be honest, Japan looked good against the Lions and have already played two games this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

Can't argue with selection really. Needed VDF at openside and the two centres will cut a lot of attack out at source. Coombes and Baird to come of f the bench and cause havoc.

A lot of our own attack....

But Shane Daly...why?!

Daly can cover FB, wing and centre. Really, you're just being lazy now. :)

I love the way some of you guys would take a few green players, throw them together and expect to beat Japan, the same team that beat is in the quarters.

This is rugby not top trumps.

There's enough versatile players there to sort it out if there's injuries.

Larmour could be moved to 15 if Keenan gets injured. And he can cover 13 in an emergency (England 2018)

Hume can play 12,13 or wing.

Baloucoune and Hume both have a much higher ceiling than Daly and both are starters for their province (which Daly isn't)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

And he's young and very talented I'm unsure why he's an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Am I the only one who doesn't really care if we lose this match? Sure, it would be nice to beat Japan and I'm sure we can, but are these tests not designed to play around a bit and blood a few new players? If not now, when?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Japan, the same team that beat is in the quarters.

im gonna be that guy and just point out that they beat ireland in the pool stage not the QF

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who doesn't really care if we lose this match? Sure, it would be nice to beat Japan and I'm sure we can, but are these tests not designed to play around a bit and blood a few new players? If not now, when?

I mean you likely don't care until there's a bad performance and we lose and then your up in arms right?

I love the way some of you guys would take a few green players, throw them together and expect to beat Japan, the same team that beat is in the quarters.

Nobody is saying we shouldn't respect Japan.

But come on, 1 new cap on the bench when 8 players are away with the Lions and Healy, Sexton and Earls are being rested is incredibly underwhelming and conservative and reeks of fear from the coach.

im gonna be that guy and just point out that they beat ireland in the pool stage not the QF

Apologies :) Of course you're right. We've never made it that far, with our best selections :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

nerd69 wrote: »
    I mean you likely don't care until there's a bad performance and we lose and then your up in arms right?

Not particularly, no. That's not really my style.

But in any case, I said 'lose' not 'play badly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

:confused:

Nobody is saying we shouldn't respect Japan.

But come on, 1 new cap on the bench when 8 players are away with the Lions and Healy, Sexton and Earls are being rested is incredibly underwhelming and conservative and reeks of fear from the coach.

The same people will be here for the post mortem screaming bloody murder.

There's enough versatile players there to sort it out if there's injuries.

Larmour could be moved to 15 if Keenan gets injured. And he can cover 13 in an emergency (England 2018)

Hume can play 12,13 or wing.

Baloucoune and Hume both have a much higher ceiling than Daly and both are starters for their province (which Daly isn't)

Daly's about 23 and a good enough athlete that he's played international 7s what kind of upside are you looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I wouldn't change too much of the squad tbh. But there are still a couple of areas that I'm disappointed by. Ryan on the bench being one. He's 33. He's currently 4th choice at best. If we are really considering moving Porter to LH then we need to be looking at our options there. O'Toole should be more than able to come off the bench in this one.

Daly ahead of Balacoune is another one. Daly is a fine player and probably does offer coverage across centre, wing and FB, but Larmour offers that too. For me Balacoune is the better player and should be on there.

I dont think I'd change anything else, although I would wrestle a bit with that centre combination. I dont see it offering a whole lot tbh but happy to be proven wrong there. Hume is the obvious choice at 13 but he is very inexperienced so I get why he wasn't selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Daly is a very talented player and is fairly underrated, definitely deserves his selection

having said that, there is a very good chance he will see limited game time for munster from now on since zebo is back. similarly, if addison stays fit for any length of time then id imagine hume will be in a similar position.
    molloyjh wrote: »
    If we are really considering moving Porter to LH
    i dont think thats being considered outside of the media to be honest
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Daly ahead of Balacoune is another one. Daly is a fine player and probably does offer coverage across centre, wing and FB, but Larmour offers that too. For me Balacoune is the better player and should be on there.
    balacoune will most likely get a full game next week while daly will be on the bench again at most id imagine.

• Advertisement

The same people will be here for the post mortem screaming bloody murder.

We should be able to beat Japan at home, while also giving more than 1 new cap and without a bloody 33 year old tighthead on the bench.

Advertisement