Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Would have liked to have Balacoune in there but Coombes not starting is the real disappointment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

TRC10 wrote: »
    Englands 2 backs on the bench at the WC were Slade and Joseph, no natural cover at 15. But those 2 were the best impact players

I'd disagree with this; they had Daly playing 15 and Watson on the pitch. That was their 15 cover. It's akin to when they start Farrell and Ford at 10 and 12 and don't pick a fly-half on the bench. It doesn't mean they don't have cover for 10.

The larger point being that selections are often made with the whole make-up of the 23 in mind (amongst a myriad of other things, as my post with the tweet about Rassie alludes to) . In this case, it's likely made with an eye towards next week as well.

Imo, it can be reductive to compare 2 players and say "Balacoune should have been on the bench ahead of Daly", for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

aloooof wrote: »
    I'd disagree with this; they had Daly playing 15 and Watson on the pitch. That was their 15 cover. It's akin to when they start Farrell and Ford at 10 and 12 and don't pick a fly-half on the bench. It doesn't mean they don't have cover for 10.

The larger point being that selections are often made with the whole make-up of the 23 in mind (amongst a myriad of other things, as my post with the tweet about Rassie alludes to) . In this case, it's likely made with an eye towards next week as well.

Imo, it can be reductive to compare 2 players and say "Balacoune should have been on the bench ahead of Daly", for example.

That's my point

You don't need Daly to cover 15 from the bench when Larmour is on the pitch

That's my point

You don't need Daly to cover 15 when on the bench when Larmour is on the pitch

Your point was that no other nation selects for versatility. It's just not true. Your example of SA has pretty much disproved this.

In any case, this is all on the assumption that he picked Daly for his versatility. Maybe Farrell thinks he's better than Balacoune.

*leaves thread*.

aloooof wrote: »
    Your point was that no other nation selects for versatility. It's just not true. Your example of SA has pretty much disproved this.

In any case, this is all on the assumption that he picked Daly for his versatility. Maybe Farrell thinks he's better than Balacoune.

*leaves thread*.

What I meant was, with other countries impact is the primary criteria for the bench, with cover being secondary

I don't think you should pick a 23 without having a contingency for each position, if you have to move players around or make a straight swap.

But impact should be the primary objective, but not at the expense of cover.

If S.Daly is in fact there for his versatility as ShooterMcGav suggested, we pick our bench for cover at the expense of impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Don't know why Ulster fans are getting their knickers in a twist over Daly. Balacoune should be starting over Stockdale or Larmour. Daly is on the bench because he covers wing, fullback and 13. The issue is that Balacoune is missing out over two players whose form has been sketchy for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

That's just my point. You don't need 15 cover on the bench when you have Larmour in the starting team.

Steyn was probably a poor example as they went 6/2, but the England example was literally the perfect example

i think your definition of literally is a bit off.

and 15 is just one position. daly covers 11-15, i dont know of anyone else in the squad that can cover centre and wing (addison is gone), larmour played there for a while against england and did well but that was far from ideal all the same, so it makes sense that daly is in the squad (apart from the simple fact that he is a very good player of course).
    What I meant was, with other countries impact is the primary criteria for the bench, with cover being secondary
    except your two examples contradicted this....

i think your definition of literally is a bit off.

and 15 is just one position. daly covers 11-15, i dont know of anyone else in the squad that can cover centre and wing (addison is gone), larmour played there for a while against england and did well but that was far from ideal all the same, so it makes sense that daly is in the squad (apart from the simple fact that he is a very good player of course).

It's literally not.

Larmour is starting, he can play 13, 11, 14, 15.

Therefore, you can pick your replacement back (23) without having to worry about him being able to cover all those positions. Farrell can move into 12 as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The selection is uninspiring but I am happy to wait and see what the US squad is before complaining.

Therefore, you can pick your replacement back (23) without having to worry about him being able to cover all those positions. Farrell can move into 12 as well.

ive played 9-15, doesnt mean i should be playing in half those positions however

and larmour isnt really 13 cover unless in an emergency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

It's literally not.

Larmour can't cover 15. He's been given opportunities there in the past and hasn't taken them. It's also debatable whether he should be starting ahead of Balacoune. Same with Stockdale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

It's literally not.

Just to point out a possible flaw in your logic, what if Larmour gets injured AND Big |Stu or Farrell is injured?

If S.Daly is in fact there for his versatility as ShooterMcGav suggested, we pick our bench for cover at the expense of impact.

Again, I'd suggest picking one player and claiming this is too reductive and black-and-white. Equally, it's a sample size of one match; again too reductive.

SA picked Steyn (versatility) so that they could have a 6-2 spit (impact). (Fwiw, I think Rassie was banking on Pollard being very durable). There's a balance to be had, and that goes across the entire 23.

And that's aside from other considerations like who may start next week, and others that we have zero knowledge about. For example, I'd be interested on your thoughts on the following?

https://twitter.com/rugby_ap/status/1403984323980795904

I'll leave it there anyways as otherwise this thread will morph into pages of us saying more-or-less the same thing in various different ways. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

last 3 or 4 pages have been pathetic....

Just to point out a possible flaw in your logic, what if Larmour gets injured AND Big |Stu or Farrell is injured?
    "What if player x, player y, and player z all get injured, ha gotcha!"

How is that a flaw in my logic?
    Larmour can't cover 15. He's been given opportunities there in the past and hasn't taken them. It's also debatable whether he should be starting ahead of Balacoune. Same with Stockdale.

I don't think you understand what is meant by "cover"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

It's worth noting daly is not just being selected for his versatility he's also a cracking player. He's not gotten a start over earls and Conway the last few years hardly a reason to beat him. He played in a world cup final at 20s level he's a far better player than your giving him credit for. As I said I rate balcoune highly but you seem to have created a massive gap between them that's just not there at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

"What if player x, player y, and player z all get injured, ha gotcha!"

How is that a flaw in my logic?

I don't think you understand what is meant by "cover"

Not sure you understand how International squads are picked

Anyway I'm looking forward to it should be a cracking game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

As excited as I would be to see Hume, I think it's fair enough to give McCloskey and Farrell a run. I don't personally think they're good enough but they've had limited chances so let them have a crack at it.

Same with the wings, would be nice to see Baloucoune but it's not like Stockdale and Larmour are decrepit has - beens with nothing left to offer.

My major beef is John Ryan and if the sub prop is the biggest issue then we're doing OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

As excited as I would be to see Hume, I think it's fair enough to give McCloskey and Farrell a run. I don't personally think they're good enough but they've had limited chances so let them have a crack at it.

Same with the wings, would be nice to see Baloucoune but it's not like Stockdale and Larmour are decrepit has - beens with nothing left to offer.

My major beef is John Ryan and if the sub prop is the biggest issue then we're doing OK.

You obviosly haven't been paying to attention to the last couple of pages

Apparently Larmour has been "dirt" for both Ireland and Leinster :pac:

nerd69 wrote: »
    It's worth noting daly is not just being selected for his versatility he's also a cracking player. He's not gotten a start over earls and Conway the last few years hardly a reason to beat him. He played in a world cup final at 20s level he's a far better player than your giving him credit for. As I said I rate balcoune highly but you seem to have created a massive gap between them that's just not there at the moment

Nail on the head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Larmour dirt! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Genuine question : is Daly really that versatile? I don't think he's ever actually played in the centre? And very few at FB.

I'd imagine he's there as a winger first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

DonVito wrote: »
    And Farrell is the man to shut off the wide attack? Farrell is running in mud. He got embarrassed by Jonny May.

He got embarrassed by Jonny May!! Well damn! Case closed. If you get embarrassed by Jonny May then your career as an international is over. I mean just look at Conrad Smith. May embarrassed him in the first 5 minutes of a match in Twickenham in 2014, Hansen dragged him from the field and he never played for the ABs again. Because he was clearly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Genuine question : is Daly really that versatile? I don't think he's ever actually played in the centre? And very few at FB.

In the 19/20 season he started more games at FB than he did on the wing.

In the 20/21 season every game he started bar 1 was on the wing.

He's down for 1 start at centre in 3 seasons.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is anyone calling for Hume to start? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »

Yeah a couple are.

He mainly was used at 12 by Con and played a load of underage rugby in the centre.

I'd imagine he's in the squad as a back three player but to cover centre if needed by injury

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The most "established" team possible is

Kilcoyne Herring Bealham
    Ryan Dillane
    POM Doris VDF
    JGP Carbery
    Stockdale McCloskey Farrell Conway
    Larmour

I mean, that's the worst case and it's hardly a stale line-up full of tired old has-beens. Drop one or two new caps in and it's downright thrilling.

Turned out to be a pretty good stab at the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Fairly established side makes sense since (a) Japan are good and (b) the priority needs to be getting Joey integrated into the system as a starting 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

awec wrote: »

I am, but maybe I'm biased as I don't rate Chris Farrell whatsoever.

Advertisement