Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

TRC10 wrote: »
    I've got a feeling you know I meant the 6 years since RWC 2015.

Its not 6 years from the RWC 2015??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Japan are a great team. The game against the Lions took a lot out of their legs in the second half and we capitalized on it.

Why are we being so patronising to Japan.

What other nation could only beat tier one nations twice in 6 years and be called a "great team"?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Its not 6 years from the RWC 2015??

Ok fine.

5 years and 9 months. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gallyind

Luke carty on c4 vs england in 15 mins

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ok fine.

5 years and 9 months. :rolleyes:

I bet you’re wishing you went with 5 years now. :D

Look, we were far from our best yesterday. Our defence in particular looked really poor at times.

Japan played really well and are a joy to watch. We still have massive room for improvement on that performance yet still won by 2 scores.

What margin of victory would you have been happy with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

and you ignored the part where I said I said "Aside from their Home World Cup for which they had 200 day's preparation for

So how many T1 nations have they beaten outside of the competition which gives them the most opportunities to play T1 nations?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Re-watched the game earlier. That was easily JGP's best performance for Ireland to date. His distribution was quick and accurate and he's improved his box kicking so much. Hung up a few huge ones which we regathered and gained 30m in the process.

I can understand the clamour for getting Casey up to speed, but currently JGP is the better player by a fair margin.

aloooof wrote: »
    I bet you’re wishing you went with 5 years now. :D

Look, we were far from our best yesterday. Our defence in particular looked really poor at times.

Japan played really well and are a joy to watch. We still have massive room for improvement on that performance yet still won by 2 scores.

What margin of victory would you have been happy with?

It's not about the margin of victory, but the performance. We were always going to beat Japan at home.

You said it yourself, we were far from our best.

But we've been far from our best in all but 2 games since Farrell has been in charge.

Before every international window, we hear that we're finally ready to play this new "heads up" brand of rugby. But we never actually see it.

Farrell has had 2 full seasons at the helm and we're no better than we were when he took over. In fact, I'd go as far to say we've regressed. Our best performance under him was in his 2nd game against Wales IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Carberry hasn't played with JGP, at least I can't remember that.

You're not gonna believe this but they trained together every day for a couple of seasons and played multiple matches together.

Well I was completely wrong about England and their 13 new caps anyway.

Very poor and disjointed. But a great performance The States.

Should give us a good game next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

you are a repetitive loser, that knows zero.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ireland were playing a mix of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th string players and were playing our first game with that kind of line up since at least the Georgia game last year. Of course we weren't at our best. I really wish people could use a bit of perspective from time to time.

We are not as good as we were and have a weaker talent pool. Japan are better than they were. The gap has closed between us. So then they are at full strength with a couple of games under their belt and we are seriously under strength with no games under our belt then we're unlikely to see Ireland be as dominant as we used to be.

There were issues with the performance but not as many as some are trying to make out. It was always going to be somewhat disjointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Picking a load of uncapped and inexperienced players usually doesn't work. We all want to see the next generation of talent come through. But it's better to see in two or three at a time rather than half a dozen.

That's just unnecessary.

I made a prediction earlier that turned out to be wrong, and I was pointing out that I was wrong.

If admitting when you're wrong makes you a loser, so be it.

Well that's bang out of order....

My team for next weekend, injury permitting

Kilcoyne, Kelleher, TOT
    Baird, Ryan
    Coombes, Doris, VDF

JGP, Carberry
    Stocks, Stu, hume, Balacoune
    Keenan

Byrne, Herring, bealham, dillane, POM, casey, Billy B, Daly

That's embarrassing at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Kilcoyne, Kelleher, TOT
    Baird, Ryan
    Coombes, Doris, VDF

JGP, Carberry
    Keenan

I'd start Casey and bench Blade, and swap out one of the back rows from Japan for one of the uncapped ones.

Kilcoyne, Kelleher, TOT
    Baird, Ryan
    Coombes, Doris, VDF

JGP, Carberry
    Keenan

It will be interesting to see what we do. A squad like that would mean a few guys not getting any game time after being called up. Dooley, Heffernan, Molony, Whycherley, Boyle, H Byrne (if fit), Blade, T Daly and Addison just off the top of my head. That's a lot of players called into camp and not featuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gallyind

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'd start Casey and bench Blade, and swap out one of the back rows from Japan for one of the uncapped ones.

Blade way better than casey

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what we do. A squad like that would mean a few guys not getting any game time after being called up. Dooley, Heffernan, Molony, Whycherley, Boyle, H Byrne (if fit), Blade, T Daly and Addison just off the top of my head. That's a lot of players called into camp and not featuring.

Yeah but even at that my team has three debutants in hume TOT and balacoune, and first start for Coombes.
    I can't see many more first caps being offered other than maybe casey starting with blade on the bench.

Any chance we see H.Byrne on the bench?

Yeah but even at that my team has three debutants in hume TOT and balacoune, and first start for Coombes.
    I can't see many more first caps being offered other than maybe casey starting with blade on the bench.

Yeah that was my big issue with the 23 for yesterday. It didn't give much scope for looking at guys unless we went with a mad 23 vs USA which wasn't likely. And even if it was, it wouldn't be worth a damn. I'd have liked to have seen Balacoune and TOT in the 23 vs Japan. I dont think that made us significantly weaker and it gave us a bit more scope vs USA then to try a smaller number of guys and still give a good few a run out in the series.

Any chance we see H.Byrne on the bench?

He hasn't been in any of the training pics that I've seen so theres some speculation that he isnt fit. But there's been no word on it from camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Buer wrote: »
    You're not gonna believe this but they trained together every day for a couple of seasons and played multiple matches together.

I'd love to see a back row of Coombes, Doris and VDF and a second row of Fineen and Baird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'd say Addison will feature (wasn't he suspended for yesterday?) and tbh if we don't see the remainder get a jersey, I don't think we'll lose too much in the long run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Curious if this changes your stance at all on the selection we put out or the performance yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yeah that was my big issue with the 23 for yesterday. It didn't give much scope for looking at guys unless we went with a mad 23 vs USA which wasn't likely. And even if it was, it wouldn't be worth a damn. I'd have liked to have seen Balacoune and TOT in the 23 vs Japan. I dont think that made us significantly weaker and it gave us a bit more scope vs USA then to try a smaller number of guys and still give a good few a run out in the series.

A lot of the lads like Dooley and Moloney were probably only ever there to have a look at them. Give them experience of the setup and maybe some work one’s. They were never likely to get capped. We might see a few more lads like Hume and Balacoune come in. It’s probably more important to let Carberry and JGP get a bit of time together, rather than try any other 9’s or 10’s.

aloooof wrote: »
    Curious if this changes your stance at all on the selection we put out or the performance yesterday?

No, I never wanted 13 new caps in the 23.

However I still believe 1 was very conservative.

I think Coombes could have started over VDF and I think O'Toole and Baloucoune should have at least been on the bench over Ryan and Daly respectively.

I would have started Hume. I think he's good enough he's played in big games for Ulster, and he'd have had a clubmate inside and outside him. He also compliments McCloskey a lot more than Farrell and he would have added a lot to our attack with his guile, hands and outside break.

I also could have made a case for Baird and Casey starting but I appreciate why they didn't.

Anyway, I think we should move on from the selection for the Japan game, there's not much to be gained from discussing it now and we should look to the USA game. I'm hoping for about 5 changes to the XV, with TOT, Baird, Coombes, Hume and Baloucoune starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

stephen_n wrote: »
    It’s probably more important to let Carberry and JGP get a bit of time together, rather than try any other 9’s or 10’s.

Don't really agree with that. If they were both heirs apparent sure but the short term 9 will be Murray and long term most people are looking to Casey, with Doak looking promising. Gibson-Park is only 3 years younger than Murray

Advertisement