Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Hopefully Murray either reacts in a big big way or is just dropped. Dunno about Farrell loving JGP but just get Casey and Doak in there. There is no point in waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Doak is massively promising, but he hasn't even played a minute of European rugby yet. Let's let him find his feet properly at provincial level first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Well farrell has picked jgp in 8 of the 10 games in the last 12 months. Potentially more than any other player. Definitely more than any other half back.

You give farrell a lot of Credit if you think he identified jgp as a stop gap over 12 months ago when doak was only 18 and still in school.

I dont plan on talking here about jgp again. I've said my piece. I don't believe jgp should have 8 caps over the alternative resources we had available at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Nope. If Doak becomes the first choice 9 for Ulster then you believe that Cooney will be behind Shanahan as the back up.

Not in a million years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It could very well be the end of him at Ulster. He's spent his career being second choice the switching clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I still don't think he'll go. He'll still get plenty of game time and at his age he's not going to be a first choice at another "big" team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think he might have meant that it could be his last season at ulster.

Cooney is out of contract at the end of the year and rumoured to be in discussions with bordeaux.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The scrum half position looks exciting! Casey is certainly going to pass Murray and rack up a lot of international caps. Blade is a dark horse! He's very,very good and I think he's going to pick up quite a few caps. Doak looks a star in the making! JGP is decent and a good bench player, but I'd have him being Luke and Marmion and Cooney. But he's done well enough. Murray will probably retain the shirt this 6nations! But, I think his days as the top dog are numbered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Murray should've been dropped 2 seasons ago. Hoping to see Blade and Doak take the lead in Nov, with one of the Leinster lads or perhaps Casey in tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think the restructuring of the European season means we won't see Doak in November for Ireland. The reality is he has played against Glasgow, Zebre and Benetton so far. Playing Japan, NZ and Argentina is a massive step up.

That said I'd get him into the training squad ASAP even if he doesn't play until maybe next summer.

FWIW if Ulster were playing Clermont on Northampton tomorrow in Europe I'd expect and want Cooney at 9 ahead of Doak, but it does seem a matter of time before that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Yeah if we think back to the way Coombes and Casey and Balacoune we're kept from international rugby until they were well and truly ready, I'd say we'd be lucky to see Doak in the 6N or Autumn.

Not a criticism on Farrell, he's already blooded plenty youth and as noted above Doak hasn't been fully tested yet against opposition of the requisite quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think we need to see Doak in a few more games tbh. We've had a lot of false dawns at SH over the last decade.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Another frustrating day for Harry Byrne.

Sexton looked sharp again though. If you're Andy Farrell there must be a temptation to say risk putting all your eggs into the Sexton basket for the WC at this stage.

The only (available) 10 who can remotely challenge Sexton now looks like being Carbery, certainly in the short term and seemingly his form doesn't merit it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah we’re really not in a good place at 10 at the moment. Sexton is playing well and the break and proper pre-season seem to have served him well. But none of the other 10s are coming close to stepping up, be that through form or injury. It is still early days in the season, but the way it’s structured now players don’t have much time to settle into things.

We really need Carbery to turn his form around and Harry Byrne to stay fit so that we can at least assess where he’s at. There’s no point in people moaning about Sextons selection for Ireland if we simply have no other realistic options.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think its a question of putting all your eggs in the Sexton basket. Until such time as there is not a colossal gap between him and the next options you play him - as things stand if he retires the day before the RWC or tomorrow we will be equally as fucked. The other options are just not producing the results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Ben Healy playing very well in Llanelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Yeah he's playing better than Carbery has in a long time.

He should really be Munster's 10 on form.

I'm interested to see what Crowley can do when he comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭joedamuss

Ben Healy is the best outhalf in Ireland after Sexton hands down !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's honestly not saying much though unfortunately. We've zero options after Sexton that gives me any faith for the future.

We've a bunch of military medium options in R Byrne and Burns. Then an unproven, injury prone player in Carbery and a similar albeit younger version in H Byrne. Healy has started this season well, but he's coming from a low base so it remains to be seen if he's actually any good or just having a purple patch.

Come on Andy, give us the Doak, Healy, Frawley 9/10/12

Hopefully Shane Jennings can come through at 13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

How do people feel Ireland will tackle the all blacks, personally I think Farrel is gonna want as many turnover merchants on the field as possible to deny the all blacks momentum and phases as once they start stringing plays together and moving the ball were absolutely done for anyone wanna take a stab at the matchday 23? I'm struggling to come up with one I'd feel any way comfortable in getting the job done.

I haven’t seen NZ since the RWC so hard to talk about them or approach to the game. In terms of who we select, I think we should have a very strong pack at least. And Sexton looks sharp. If Henshaw can pick up where he left off we might be in a decent position. Wild stab at a 23 (there’s still a chance guys can force this to change and is dependent on fitness).

Porter, Kelleher, Furlong, Henderson, Ryan, POM, VDF, Conan

Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Henshaw, Ringrose, Balacoune, Keenan

Herring, Kilcoyne, Bealham, Beirne, Doris, JGP, Carbery, Addison

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd pick Aki so that Henshaw can play 13, even though it means Ringrose misses out. It's a better duo.

Baloucoune is currently injured, so he'd need to get back and get playing if he's to be selected for these games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don’t see Beirne not starting, given how well he went last season. Whether that’s at 6 or second row is another question, tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'd be pretty happy if Ireland picked that team. That would be a big win for the ABs 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Go on then😁. Who would you least like to face?

• Advertisement

Beirne was one of our top 2 players last season. No way he's getting dropped.

He's starting either at lock or at 6

Advertisement