Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

As I also said; Penaud, Huw Jones, Rees-Zammit tries. A majority of tries we conceded came off his wing in the 4 games he was involved in. He was directly involved in 5 tries we conceded out of 8, with varying degrees of responsibility but I'd argue he was the main cause of those 3. That’s not micro-analysis.

Look, perhaps you're right on this try (as I said, I'd have preferred to see a wide-angle shot) but to me it looks like Ringrose drifts and Lowe shoots. I think if they all drift, with Keenan in the backfield, it could've been defended using the touchline, even with Scarlets extra man.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

So because Stockdale wrongly got abuse by trolls, we shouldn't look at where Lowe went wrong against the Scarlets for the try?

You seem annoyed Stockdales errors weren't looked at in detail but you want Lowes not to be...

Agreed on Molony; it was akin to Henderson for the George North try (which I wouldn't be too critical of Lowe for). But I don't necessarily think Ringrose has to push off to prevent that try. If Lowe held his ground, he may have been able to scrag whoever had the ball and slow it down even marginally.

It's still a territory gain for Scarlets (at worst, for them), but Leinster then have the additional numbers on the openside on next phase. Scarlets may still have scored, but I think it would've been Leinster's best possibility for stopping the try. For me, that ability to tackle / scrag and just buy that extra second to let cover defenders arrive is the worst part of Lowe's game. (And part of that is positional).

If we could just combine Lowe's left boot, offloading and physicality, with Larmour's footwork, Stockdale's passing and finishing, and Earl's defence, pace and rucking, we'd be laughing. EDIT: And Zebo's X-Factor. Obviously. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Where did I say I didn't want Lowe's to be?

My pont was that the idea that Lowe gets a comparatively unforgiving amount of analysis or criticsm is way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Mack Hansen has joined the squad.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/11/01/mack-hansen-links-up-with-ireland-squad-as-henshaw-continues-rehab/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

It's fully deserved even if he might not necessarily see minutes this late into getting the call-up but he needs capping asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

I think Lowe got just as much stick as Stockdale did(which is wrong), I've seen very little analysis defending him. The post above was one of the first ones by one poster and you've had a rant...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nobody said he did. I just said that the issues he had has created a narrative which will sometimes lead to him being blamed when he wasn’t at fault. I never spoke about unforgiving anything. I think you’re being more than a little bit touchy on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Typical farrell handing out squad poistions and caps to lads fresh off the boat or through residency over players who came through the system.

More power to the player I just think its a kick in the teeth to other options like shane daly, Adam Byrne lowry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Conor15th

• Advertisement

Number of debuts Farrell has given to lads who came through the Irish system: 19

Number of debuts Farrell has given to “lads fresh off the boat / residency”: 3.

Typical Farrell….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Lots of analysis and opinions. Zebo will be analyzed to death shortly. I think Zebo will get a run out this week! I do expect that he will play left wing. James Lowe is under serious pressure and that's with Stockdale out injured.

Lowe is definitely a very poor defender. If it doesn't improve, he should be jettisoned as an international. That said, Zebo will have to show something that shows he is a better option. Hansen being included is great. He's very good and has been the best wing this year! My opinion only.

I think that Stockdale too is under the kosh. While I think he's a fine player, his defense is also suspect. This 6nations will be revealing. The chips will fall and we should have a clearer view.

Zebo is older than the others and that might work against him for the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I'd have thought Zebo is the obvious pick on the left wing ahead of Lowe.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,471 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

"Point was made above, other players don't get this level of micro-analysis, we'd say he was outnumbered and it was a lovely bit of play from the Scarlets. "

Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Well deserved.

He's been on fire since arriving

The cynic in me thinks Farrell may want to get him capped now that Australia are selecting overseas based players but hopefully that's not the case.

He deserves the call up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭PMC83

Fair play to him. He looks the business so far, so surely worth seeing what he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭phog

As a tackle bag?

He's hardly going to see game time during the AIs unless there's a few injuries. If Farrell had intended to play him then he'd have included him in the original squad announcement. If he continues his current form I could see him possibly feature in the 6Ns but he has a few guys ahead of him at the moment but Earls is surely close to disappearing from the Irish squad. Hansen might well have to wait for the summer tour to get his cap.

The last 6 nations how many were in the squad of 30 odd?

Herring, bedhlam, Klyen,Stander, jgp,Burns, aki, Addison?

As I said great for the player..terrible for the younger players who came through the system..

Some story from him was he an electrician a few years ago playing rugby part time?

Edit. He was a trainee electrician while in the academy over there.

Actually the foreign players argument has been done to death... so I'm not getting into it again. I have my opinion on it and my opinion won't be changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

On the Lowe micro-analysis: To my mind he doesn't get singled out unfairly. Both Stockdale and O'Mahony get a much tougher time of it. Stander did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wing is a position where I think a coach ought to play the hot hand. We spent too long under Joe prioritising a wingers rucking and tackling ability over their try scoring one. It's one area where NZ have always been streets ahead.

With RWC in mind, I think both wingers spots are up for grabs; it’s possibly our most open position. And I’d be hard pressed to guess which 2 it’ll be, tbh.

Ability to chase a box kick is a high priority too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I don't necessarily disagree, but how long a period do you judge it over? The "hot hand" (if I understand the term correctly) this season would probably be Hansen and Nash. Over the last two or three seasons it would probably be Baloucoune and A.N. Other.

I think I'd go for Zebo and Baloucoune. Zebo is in good form and has pedigree at international level and Baloucoune has been knocking on the door for ages. He's a great defender, has pace to burn and scores tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Zebo also has the benefit of being well able to step in as a playmaker. We’ve seen him do it before. It’s something Leinster have been trying to get Lowe to do as well, but Zebo is more of a natural there. I reckon he’s definitely the front runner for left wing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'd hazard a guess it's left and right. I could be miles off, though... 😉

How has Zebo's defense been this season? He looked like he barely gave a toss most of the time I saw him playing for Racing.

Course of the season. I'd be framing that more towards the 6Ns for Hansen, given the lack of HC games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Hansen being called up would indicate that one of the first batch of wingers isn't going to be fit. Isn't Baloucoune carrying a knock?

Advertisement