Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I blame Rob Saunders if he hadn't missed Touch with his kick in 1991, we would have beaten Australia and made the semi final and wouldn't be talking about semi finals 30 years later!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Jame sLowe we nicknamed him in my house, he's too slow for a winger at international level, he only scores crashball tries, might as well have Chris Farrell out there.

I think Lowe could be a much more useful 13, but he'd have to tackle more, maybe it would suit him there though as the runners are usually slower and heavier, but maybe he's tackle-shy and just not good enough for international level anyway.

How he got into the squad and Mack Hansen is sitting at home waiting for December is a mystery.

Edit: looks like he's just been called up!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/autumn-internationals/connachts-mack-hansen-gets-ireland-call-as-andy-farrell-names-autumn-nations-series-squad-41005380.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We spent too long under Joe prioritising a wingers rucking and tackling ability over their try scoring one.

Did we?

Like, Keith Earls was first choice for Joe's entire tenure and he's probably our most natural try-scorer of the last 20 years. Tommy Bowe, Luke Fitzgerald, Simon Zebo, Jacob Stockdale, Jordan Larmour?

I presume you're talking about Trimble and Dave Kearney but they hardly featured after the 2015 RWC and prior to that only got picked when Earls and Bowe were injured.

Nah, that's a boards.ie myth. It's bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

In fairness Earls might be a natural try scorer against the weaker teams but his record against the top teams is pretty poor. Joe loved him though because of his work rate and getting stuck into the dirty work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Is it a myth? When guys were talking about work-ons they needed to get a look in, it was those ancillary tasks they were generally referring to. Try scoring ability didn't seem to be the most important thing Joe looked for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think a run of games and Stockdale is back in. He's too good to leave out of the 23! His try scoring ability is nuts. He's scored tries against top nations too; Wales, England, NZ. He is just a great player when on form.

Larmour also has a shot! Great step, good tackler and very good Rucker. The high ball fielding though is atrocious! Without that problem, he starts!

Earls has bee great. Age is his enemy.

Balacoune is a great looking prospect. Seems to have all the tools. Will be worth a punt.

Hansen has been superb. I haven't seen too much of him. What happened to the 5 yr window for imports? He's only just arrived!

Lowe could improve. Is it worth the wait? He has great attributes, but, like Larmour there is a weakness!

Zebo has the skill and the ability. Will he put the effort in?

Conway on form is the best wing we have. Imo

The rest of the possibilities are way outside the squad right now. Shane Daly is possible, but I think he's better in midfield.

Not sure what's happened to Conway, he was our best winger leading into the world Cup imo. Be great to see him rediscover his spark because he'd be straight in. Seems to be lacking a bit of confidence or something lately though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭PMC83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

If Tommy O'Brien could ever stay fit I could see him shooting up the pecking order.

What are you waffling on about, Shane Daly got capped and has been poor in the last year, Lowry is now backup outhalf who can't get a start infront of Billy Burns!! Adam Byrne back 2 games and yet to be tested to see if he has sorted out his defence yet.

Mack Hansens mum is Irish and is the form winger in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Hansen's mother is from Cork, I think. It's how he qualifies.

Problem with Lowe despite his poor performance he lost all confidence he had in his attacking and found out couldn't just bosh over everyone at international level. He ended up kicking nearly every ball he got and his final play nearly summed up his form where he passed the ball straight into touch. Think he would have shepard crooked himself at that stage.

I think he looks a little leaner and fitter this year, not sure if he will get a chance. If he regains his confidence and sorts out his defence he offers something none of the other wingers do. Remember his debut against Wales, that what we want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I thought last season Dave Kearney was the form winger in Ireland. He didn't get a look in! Adam Byrne has been ruined with injury. He hasn't had a run of games to impress or improve! I think he's just not physical enough for top level international rugby.

There is some youngster on the horizon. The world cup will most likely be too soon for them. Ethan McElroy would be one, Wren another one who looks potentially good. Rankin needs a lot of work, but the ability is there. Calvin Nash has not had the career I thought he was going to have. Perhaps he can force his way into the provincial team and who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

You mean he's slow at international level when he plays for Ireland because Ireland never get the best out of their backline, when the Irish backs put on a green shirt they look as if they forget how to play rugby and play like their feet are in quick sand and have d!ck's for fingers....

Hugo Keenan; Robert Baloucoune, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, Simon Zebo; Johnny Sexton (captain), Jamison Gibson-Park; Andrew Porter, Rob Herring, Tadhg Furlong; Iain Henderson, James Ryan; Caelan Doris, Josh van der Flier, Jack Conan.

Murray Kinsellas probable team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Andy Farrell could be the ace up Ireland's sleeve when it comes to the All Blacks game. He has an impressive record coaching against NZ - defence coach for England's win in 2012, Ireland's wins in 2016 and 2018 and for the drawn Lions series in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭nerd69

Performances decline as players step up to international level? How odd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’d be very surprised if Tadhg Beirne doesn’t start. He was our best forward during the 6 Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Prepare to be surprised. That was 7 months ago and he's had an anonymous Lions and an indifferent return to his province. I don't see him featuring this week, at least.

If that selection is correct and Zebo is the only Munster player to start, it'll certainly show JvG is impressing nobody, least of all Farrell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We’ll see, I suppose. Wouldn’t be the first time a pundit got it wrong. But Farrell clearly rates Doris very highly too.

Fwiw, I think he’s been good in the last 2 games, even if Munster themselves have been awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Lack of imagination there if that's the team. Would be better to try integrate 2 or 3 younger players with some more senior people beside them..

I'd like to see zebo earn his starting Jersey back. Although handy to have a left foot kicking option at the back.

Why not have a look at frawley 12. We known the blunt force aki can offer us. With his poor tackle technique the last thing he needs is quick nippy lads running at him. We don't need another red card.

Herring at hooker really? Would be a step backwards and doubtful given kelleher has been up for media duty this weekend.

I'm not even going to mention the scrumhalf. Murrays main reason given for starting him is no based on ability but is conor murrays lack of game time. Surely the best way to rectify that would be to start conor murray before Nz come to town the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Well he plays nz about 4 times in the next 8 months..

Will be interesting to see his record next July

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Few interesting selections to discuss in that. Herring over Porter, JGP over Murray, Ryan/Doris over Beirne (depending how you look at it), Zebo and Balacoune over Earls, etc.

Have Tracey or Thornley come out with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don’t think any of the journos have any insights tbh. It’s all just them making best guesses. The selection for this weekend will absolutely have to be done with a view to NZ. Who is going to be in that 23 and who can just slot straight in vs who needs game time first etc. This groups hasn’t been together in over 7 months so most, if not all, of next weeks 23 will be involved this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Where's the guy from last year who had the dip on Murray being injured for the French 6N game? Would love insight like that again (and the craic that followed)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

To be clear, that is a "possible" team, not the "probable" team.

Ah grand, same thing really, presume he has contacts in camp that tell him what it's looking like. If it was his own choice team he would have said.

Haven't watched a huge amount of Ulster this season but presume Herring must be going well to be (possibly) ahead of Kelleher who I think has been terrific.

Would be genuinely surprised to see Zebo start, not due to a lack of ability or talent - just haven't rated him in a while and didn't think much of his moaning about Ireland selection on social media albeit I doubt that's much of a factor for Farrell.

Couple of other calls here or there, Coombes could possibly feel a bit hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Anonymous? Most pundits were of the opinion that he was unlucky to miss out. He was our best player last year. If he's missed out it's a poor selection.

• Advertisement

Think Coombes is in a similar position to Lowe, great going forward but in the big matches misses a lot of tackles. Would be a risk playing him against NZ. Saying that he's plenty of time to work on it before the world cup as ball in hand he's quality.

Advertisement