Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Will we have enough walking sticks for all those oldies coming off the bench, hopefully none get back spasm as they are getting off their seat beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Ryan had

• Registered Users Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

POM on the bench seems like a waste. He's really a starter or nothing. You'd think that with all the athleticism in the starting pack that you'd go for more of the same with the subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You really like to pick a point and just keep repeating it until everyone gets tired of arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

The average age of the bench is just under 30....and this is just against Japan, I shudder to think how conservative we'll be next week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Pom covers alot of the BR from the bench and is a good option for number 20.

Potentially Timoney will pass him out For this Jersey's or leavy If given the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,218 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm surprised to see Conway and Lowe on the wings, both can count themselves lucky to be on the starting team but the team is named now and I hope all have a stormer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Whatever about my reservations about some selections and the fact I strongly believe Ireland are always better off with Ryan and Henderson in the row, it's hard not to be impressed by that pack. It will be far too strong for Japan.

I still think we are lacking in the backs, but forwards win matches. As long as the backs defend well we will win by at least 10 points on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

At least Japan play a nice style of rugby, always enjoy watching them play. Hope we manage more than kicks to the corner and mauls.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Sexton literally this week: "That's on the horizon," he said.

"We have spoken about that (World Cup), that we have a two-year block ahead of us and how we can go into that tournament in the best place we can be and full of confidence and ready to take on the world.

so no it is you who is confused.

we haven't a prayer in the World cup. Not because of talent, but because of fear. What an utterly insipid selection given that its going to mean full steam ahead for a likely thumping by NZ and the inevitablle redemption match against Argentina (with all the usual crap about them given our history). thus we've got three matches without much development. plus ca change.

if we come out of this block without having given gametime to the guys from the summer, its a huge nope for me and i'd like to see Farrell gone. WHo knows maybe he pulls a blinder and picks some of them against NZ, but i'd be sceptical.

• Advertisement

yeah exactly... he has no credit in the bank? why is he in the side? he's been poor lately. my point is as usual AF's selection is all over the shop. some guys in on form, some from old form, some clearly cause of contracts. look its all moot. i have a deep dark feeling that this will be a terrible November. Apathy about the side, about IRish rugby and even maybe rugby in general. If we box kick and maul our way to a win on Saturday, the knives will be out for Faz. Decent bloke, who should never have been put in the position.

The URC comment was in reply to the point about the URC. Christ. and if thats the case we are in dire straits, again as we have learnt nothing. without meaningful league games we will always struggle in the white heat of the WC.

Yep thats how it works alright. again, it seems all a bit arseways. at least with Joe you could see reason. our coaching ticket is infallible alright.

some of you lads really need to step outside boards. like AF could literally lose all 3, have us play like drains and develop nobody and you'd be saying the same things over and over. many of the posters told you all this the last few World Cups.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What's this young lad Sexton like? I'm keen to see how he goes.. rest of the team is a bit sameish really, isn't it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The forwards actually look pretty good as a unit. The backline though. Getting on in years, not a huge amount of pace or dynamism there. Actually quite scary with a World Cup a couple years away to see so many 30 or over players still knocking about the backline and a few more who will be hitting 30 next year. Not to sound ageist or anything but it's not a good age profile back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,564 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Lowe couldnt have done anymore to try and get out of the team. He must be gutted.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,476 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

glad to see Farrell giving youth a chance by playing the younger Doris ahead of the older competition for the spot, Coombes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

It's awfully sad to think, but no matter what the results are, in this series of games, the usual suspects will moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

it would be funny if it wasn't that one is completely outperforming the other and at least one guy on the bench.

Doris has missed a hell of a lot of rugby lately. He needs to perform against NZ if chosen.

Himself and Keenan have been good but they seem to be quickly getting themselves into the undroppable categor. I wouldn't say all their games have been stellar. France comes to mind for Doris.

They need to back it up in this block of matches.

Why couldn't your backrow be Doris, Coombes and try Conan at 7 or Doris at 7. VDF isn't good enough at this level imo.

Its also sad to know, no matter what the results are in this series of games the usual suspects will play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Keenan is getting into that category because of consistently excellent performances.

• Advertisement

IF AF manages to win 2 out of 3, develop depth and have Ireland play something resembling a coherent style then many people i'm sure would be willing to hold their hands up. But its looking unlikely on at least 1 front.

Yeah Keenan has been very consistent. It will be interesting to see him perform against New Zealand. He's probably first on the teamsheet. I wouldn't say the same for Doris..yet. and the type of player NZ would be picking. But i'd like to see a little bit more of him in the top tier matches. Anyway we can't judge any of the backs properly until Catt or AF gives them a coherent strategy.

Its hard to argue with the selection of Earls considering we have nobody else who can cover the backfield and do job in midfield.

You could pick mccloskey on the bench but would then need another back on the bench to cover back 3 meaning not having a replacement SH or 10 on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't see how consistently excellent performances are relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I'm not a big fan of world cup cycles talk etc, especially in relation to the couple of six nations immediately after the World Cup where there is often calls to throw in a load of 20 year olds and more or less sacrifice a six nations, which to me doesn't make any sense.

But there are the exact type of games that should be used to build towards a World Cup, it's a pretty disappointing and conservative selection.

so coombs wasnt available for selection after all :D

he was sick all week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Can someone please explain how this is a conservative selection, apart from out-half?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Carbery can cover the back 3 and Larmour could do a job in midfield off the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You could definitely argue about the point of having Earls and POM on the bench for a home AI game against Japan, if you were arsed 😶

Advertisement