Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

All of Ireland's centre options are excellent, but the only one that is IMO an automatic pick is Henshaw. He is the best one we have in either position, but IMO is a better 13 than 12.

The other 3 (Aki, Ringrose, Hume), you could pick any of them. Aki is a very different player to the other 2. Ringrose is a great player who is solid and dependable but IMO his importance is very overstated as are his abilities.

Hopefully Hume continues to push him hard take his spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Just listening to the 42 podcast “Kieran Marmion probably the most unlucky, he’s been in excellent form” Murray Kinsella says

Must be a Connacht fan I suppose….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah, Marmion could have been picked and it wouldn't have been a bad pick - but it would be in place of Casey, so your understudy scrum-halves are now Murray (turns 33 in April) and Marmion (30 in February). It wouldn't exactly be a forward looking selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Henshaw is definitely first choice.

I reckon realistically Hume is behind the other two, just becauae he has yet to prove himself and therefore earn the trust of Farrell and Catt at test level.

At the same time I'd back him to go well if and when he gets the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Personally I'd have had Frawley in there, not in place of anyone, just as an additional body, he is completely different to the four centres picked and ironically isn't unlike Mike Catt was as a player.

Treadwell did well to time his excellent performance against Northampton in the way he did, otherwise you could have made arguments for other second rows.

But we are talking about the fifth choice centre and fifth choice lock.

I dont know who else can feel hard done by. Jack O'Donoghue, Conor Oliver, Kieron Marmion, maybe even Ethan McIlroy might have been discussed, but I think the squad is pretty much bang on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Treadwell did well to get in but I think Kleyn is very unlucky. I think he's been one of Munsters best players this season. His hands have let him down at times in the past but he's a big unit who smashes people all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I doubt that has anything to do with it and it certainly shouldn't. The World Cup is 18 months away, there's no need for any planning beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'm a firm believer in playing your best team at this time. Planning for the future should be secondary. Let us concentrate on the Six Nations for now. As regards centres, I feel Aki is always a risk. His tackle technique lets him down too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm actually quite enjoying this discussion because bar at 10 where Sexton is still head-and-shoulders ahead I think we have 2 genuinely quality players competing for every position. I think the selection for the Wales game will be:

JGP, Sexton, Earls, Henshaw, Ringrose, Conway, Keenan

But if we selected

Murray/Casey, Sexton, Larmour, Aki, Hume, Lowe (injured I know), Lowry

Then I think that second backline would comfortably perform in the 6N. I don't really feel like we've been in this position recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

No James Ryan or Hendo in their squads. Beirne and Baird for Wales? Or will one go straight in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Planning for future needs to happen. We cant just always play best team in 6Nations. there needs to be some element of future planning or we will never get better at world cups etc

Aki is certainly not always a risk. Very harsh and unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ryan hasn't played since Nov v Arg and Henderson since just before Christmas. And he went off injured again.

I would think he'll have to go with Baird and Beirne. And Ryan or Henderson on bench if they are over their injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Treadwell, Baird and Beirne are all loose-side locks, they should bring in Kleyn if he's injury-free after this weekend.

Ah Stop! Whens Jenkins eligible!?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan and Furlong were apparently close to playing this weekend. I guess they'll be ready for Wales.

Not sure I'd start Ryan for it however. Been a while since he played. Same for Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

While not necessarily having the best player in each position in the tournament. Especially where France would trump us as half back. You could argue that ireland have the best 36/37 man Squad in the 6 nations. If Ryan and Furlong are fit. We are potentially only missing stockdale maybe Will Connors at a push who could potentially start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd like to see Farrell be proactive and actually rotate, instead of waiting for injuries to try out someone new. Hume should be given a run against one of the big teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭TRC10

Marmion would only be holding tackle bags. Makes far more sense to have a younger lad in as 3rd choice to prepare for the world cup in 18 months. (exactly what the previous coach was criticised for not doing).

Look at the English squad and listen to Eddie Jones' interviews in the last few days, it's very obvious that he's using this 6N as a development period and is 100% focused on the RWC. I actually see us going to Twickenham and winning but they will be an absolute force in France next year.

I reckon we'll see Doak in camp for a few days at some stage too.

Im all for rotation now where needed. But 12 and 13 are two positions we don't need to. Hume's time will come. We are stacked at centre.

Its all about 9 and 10 and the massive reliance on Sexton and continually using Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭TRC10

100% agree, as should Carty. But a guy who should be given a shot is Nick Timoney. Not advocating for dropping VDF, but Timoney is has been an animal for Ulster and he's a guy I think could really step up to international level. Incredibly powerful athlete, quick, really strong in the carry and an absolute weapon over the ball. Came through the 7s so his skills and link play are really strong too.

I think the summer tour will be where we see rotation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Every scrumhalf except Murray is playing for two positions and there really isn't all that much between any of them so someone was going to end up disappointed. Marmion can feel a bit hard done by but so can 2 or 3 others. I don't think it's a particularly unjust ommission.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

51,700 in Lansdowne Road for the three 6N rounds boys. Let's rebuild this economy 😎😎😎🍺🍺🍺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Why? We need to do more to expand our squad and there is plenty of 6 nations games of lower standard and quality than some autumn and summer tour games so lets see more of our squad across the 5 6 nations games just like we need to rotate across world cup games ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The thing is, injuries happen more than often enough that players will always get opportunities without forcing it.

Some players take those opportunities, others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Pale Caucasian

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I dont see england being a force from what they have currently unearthed. A year is a long time in rugby but i think the Irish squad is in a far healthier place than the english.

Barbeary and dombrandt are good players but any number of Irish back row players are streets ahead of them.

In marcus smidth he has his next 10, and he has some good scrum halves coming through.

But nobody is standing out in the front row, or second row just yet. They dont have any great depth in midfield or back 3.

I dont think he is uncovering the gems that he found in curry and underhill before japan, and in time i think he will be forced to go back to some tried and tested senior players like vinopolu, daly etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The counter argument is that we might uncover a better team by trying out different players, rather than just sticking to the same old. Rotating guys in can also have the benefit of maintaining competitive pressure on guys.

Advertisement