Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If we can get on top in the forwards, we can win. I think we can ar least get parity. The problem is, we don't create too many tries with possession and the French only need a sniff.

France have not been outstanding. I rewatched the France v Argentina match and France did struggle. No doubt they mullered the kiwis, but they should have put that to bed earlier.

This match won't come down to Carberry as much as the forwards. Carberry just needs to tackle and be strong in the defensive line. If he can't do that, we will struggle. With Aki and Ringrose being used as 1st receiver, the pressure will be off Carberry. If he can't do the basics and get the backline moving.....well feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭ersatz

Right, and Sexton isn’t always 1st receiver so we don’t rely on loops as we used to, he’s often getting the ball a little deeper and when there are dynamic lines already happening around him, then has 2 or 3 options immediately, loops that happen are doing so further out the line. We’ve come a long way in back play quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭ersatz

Replying to johnnyskeleton above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I go back to my original point here; they'll only go to Carbery if he's fit, and that remains a big if. If you look at their minutes in the 4 Champions Cup games already this season:

That's fair. But my point is, Ben Healy has been performing better than Carbery even when he's fit, and arguably Crowley has been too.

I don't think it should be a given that Carbery is 1st choice for Munster.

I just think the unwavering certainty Farrell has that Carbery is his no.2 is extraordinary considering how little he's shown in recent years.

I think Farrell has made a lot of really good decisions over his tenure, but I'm not sure about this one. Obviously I hope I'm proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think it's very possible Ireland would be better placed tomorrow if they had Healy in the 10 jumper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Slight typo from you but I agree in parts.

Theres an argument that Healy should be wearing the 1 shirt.

But Porter has such a power game going at the moment. Deserves his start

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Was anyone called up as cover to replace sexton? Would have thought one of the Byrne brothers but looks like both are playing this evening. Healy and Crowley also playing.

Maybe Billy Burns?

I can’t believe Ireland could be in Paris for such a big game with only two out half options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I would rather 60 year Ollie Campbell than ever see Billy Burns in a green Jersey again, he is useless besides been a defensive turnstyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

Imagine if Lowry is the answer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lowry is an answer just waiting for the right question.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think a few posters have already decided who's to blame IF we lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

JGP to hoist a load of garryowens? Just to settle JC and take pressure off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’d agree with all of that, tbh. Personally, I think Crowley will take the 10 jersey for Munster in the medium-term, tho Healy’s huge boot and passing is a huge asset too.

Ultimately, if Carbery continues to miss big games and the others continue improving, it’ll naturally come to a head, even when Carbery is fit. (On a more minor footing, but I’d liken it to Henshaw on the bench this weekend, where he’s now behind man in possession of the jersey).

There’s also the unknown of what any incoming Munster coach might do, which is another wrinkle. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out over the next season and a half or so.

Crowley and Healy will be an interesting battle for the future. Carberry still in pole position and he will probably remain there if he gets a good run of games. I reckon after the world cup, Healy or Crowley could force their way past him.

That's a disappointing loss however you cut it. Our ruck work and lineout was poor, especially in the first half. We were blown away by Frances physicality.

The comeback in the second half was encouraging as I think Irish teams in the past would have wilted in circumstances where we were 15 points down in Paris.

Carbery was ok and showed that he could be Sextons successor eventually. But he was very hesitant in the first half and stood too deep, strangling the sporadic attacking opportunities we had. Better in the second half when we had more attacking opportunities.

Want to make this point in a separate post.

Sexton is still by far our most important player. A lot has been said about how this new attacking shape places less emphasis on Sexton, but that's really not the case. He may not touch the ball as frequently, but he's still the decisive voice in the backline about what call is made in attack.

We made far too many poor decisions in attack this evening. Not just in our selection of passing, but also in taking contact far too often. We played into the French hands by setting up rucks which they had dominance in.

Carbery will eventually take over and on evidence provided this evening, he'll probably do well enough. But I can't help but think that the better decision making nous which Sexton provides would have changed things a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would like to see Farrell bring in Marmion for the next slate of games. Murray just doesn't cut the mustard as a replacement, and JGP was disappointing today. Carty should have been on a lot sooner, 90 secs is some Leo Cullen nonsense. Coombes ought to get a start. Conan and Doris were pretty average today, when we needed more from the breakdown.

I've thought this for a while, but Doris makes way too many handling errors. He dropped 2 balls last week and I counted at least 2 tonight.

I also think Conan's position needs to come under review, because 2 weeks in a row he's been very quiet and offered very little in the carry. His clearout attempt on Jelonch in the 1st half can only be described as pathetic. I'd be having Beirne at 6 and Coombes at 8 v Italy.

JGP took his try well, but 12 French points came as a result of his 2 horrendous clearances. He kicked a lot of ball away aimlessly. When we started winning collisions in the 2nd half his tempo was good. And Murray wasn't much better, he threw an absolute howler which put us under immense pressure.

And James Ryan handed France the game when he opted to take the points. We needed a try no matter what, so why not take the lineout in the French 22, rather receive a kick off in our 22. 3 points was feck all use. We had them on the ropes at that stage and I'd say France were delighted when we took 3. We let them off the hook big tim. It made absolutely no sense. He's a good player but he's not a captain, that was an awful call.

Thought Joey did ok. He's not Sexton, but we're going to have to learn to play without Sexton at some stage, better to do it now than in 18 months. Sometimes you need to rip off the bandaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The real problem with the two week break being before the Italy game is that there are two whole weeks where people will trip over themselves making loads of changes to the team, everyone with a pair of boots will get a mention then when the inevitable minimal enough changes happen there will be uproar and surprise because everyone got themselves worked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Agree on Doris. Posted something similar in the other thread. It's becoming a consistent issue.

We are missing a brute in the backrow, or at least the option of one for larger packs.

Beirne was our best player. Ryan was OK but not a captain.

Less said about our 9's the better.

We didn't have a best player in that game. Everyone played poorly in that first half, especially if you were a tight forward. They couldn't get to grips with France up front.

Second half was an improvement certainly, but again I don't think there was a clear standout. It was a collective step up.

Maybe put Doris at 8 and Coombes at 6 v Italy? Doris is fairly new to 6. Coombes has played a lot of 6!

It's good the Porter is having scrum problems now. 18 months is plenty of time to get it right.

Changing the number on your shirt doesn't cause you to lose the ability to hold onto the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm convinced we are best served with Henderson and Ryan in the second row and Beirne at 6. What that means for No.8 I don't know, but I'd be inclined to go with Doris.

Advertisement