Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If Conan is dropping out, I’d prefer to see Coombes in there than POM. We know exactly what POM brings and we don’t need his experience from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Id say Jimmy O'Briens form deserves a call up. Was unlucky that Leinster didn't play for a month before the initial squad was announced as he was flying it in the Heinenken Cup.

Along with Lowe he offers that big left foot option that Hansen doesn't offer on the left wing for ireland. His defensive side of the game is excellant.

JOB also offers great versatility in the back line. Can play centre wing and full back. And is a good option for a number 23 Jersey.

I doubt he will get straight into the squad for this weekend but 100% worth a look at in camp based on current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Sheehan will come in at hooker

I expect Henderson to come in. Possibly for Conan or Doris with Beirne moving to the back row.

I expect Henshaw to come in for Aki.

That's 3 changes I think will happen. I'd be surprised if he makes more than 5 given the placement of this game in the schedule. For the other 2, I'd really like to see Baloucoune start. Lowry at 15 is another one I'd like to see. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the 3.

Carbery should absolutely start. Give Sexton 20 minutes and he'll be grand for Twickenham. He's well able to hit the ground running without much game time, we know this. We'd only be risking him.

There will be a lot of very angry people in here on Friday when Farrell hasn't made 10 changes.

If he did go with Ryan and Henderson in the 2nd row with Bierne 6 what would be your 2 2nd row/back row bench option?

While i would also like to see if I'm not sure if the extra grunt is needed for an Italian Match. I'd go as mobile as we can as we are going to need a big score to stay in the hunt for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If you had Beirne at 6, you could actually put two back rows on the bench.

But most likely Baird would be on the bench if Beirne is at 6. Although I'd like to see Treadwell in there. I'm not convinced Baird is a test lock, I think he's a 6. Treadwell brings some 'oomph' that we lack. He's big, and very destructive in the loose, he was very impressive in Ulster's two European games in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The changes you've stated are what I expect.

Sheehan, Henderson and Henshaw which is after all 20% of the team. Albeit Henderson and Henshaw arguably strengthen the team. Heck Sheehan has the potential to do the same in some respects.

I think we might see Baloucoune as well just because Farrell said Baloucoune would have a part to play in the tournament.

The bench will be interesting. I'd throw a few fresher faces in there, Casey, Coombes, Hume, Lowry etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I hope Casey starts. It's an ideal scenario and he needs a start to gauge his ability. Porter needs to start, scrummaging needs work.

Would love to see Balacoune too!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Marmion should have been called up

and doak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Kinsella normally puts out a possible team earlyish in the week.

It's a tough call. Farrell obviously wont be looking at change for the sake of it despite what some people online think they want.

But I do think he will freshen things up but keeping a firm eye on England the following week.

For some of the fringe players, playing Italy after a week off is borderline worst case scenario for them getting game time as some of the front runners will need to keep momentum. Especially going away to Twickenham.

With that in mind:

1) Porter

2) Sheehan

3) Bealham

4) Ryan

5) Henderson

6) Doris

7) VDF

8) Coombes

9) JGP

10) Joey

11) Lowe

12) Henshaw

13) Ringrose

14) Baloucoune

15) Lowry

16) Herring

17) Kilcoyne

18) Furlong

19) Beirne

20) POM

21) Casey

22) Sexton

23) Hansen

Typing it all out it's actually a lot more changes than I would expect. I would like to see Baird involved but not sure how he'd get a look in. Similarly I think we could do with a look at of another back rower other than POM but he gives good 7 cover which Farrell tends to prefer in his 20 short. Timoney could see himself involved there.

I don't think Herring has played enough rugby so Heffo could be there.

Hansen has done nothing to be dropped but I feel Farrell will give Lowe a chance to play in Twickenham.

A total change of the back 3 might not be overly likely. Keenan has no reason to be dropped but I think he'd slot back into 15 next week with no ill affects from an additional week off.

I know Porter and healy at a push could cover 3 but are we not required to have a full spare front row available outside the match day 23.

Does Marty Moore come in from the cold or John Ryan or do we go for a younger option for the experience.?? Like an Aungier.

With Ulster and munster having a week off back up might be most likely to come from there..

Media are in overdrive trying to promote Lowe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

His try at the weekend is being blown out of proportion too for me. Was a great try don’t get me wrong but he’s one one one with a defender with over half the field in front of him.

Hansens try against the bulls is still head and shoulders ahead of it. The skill to take the ball out of the air and beat four or five defenders on his own.

Predict Lowe will come in at 11 for the England game with Hansen at 23

I think they are afraid Hanson is nailed on number 1 if they cant get Lowe starting against Italy. I was wondering if it was Sponsors pushing it or just leinster media. But its clearly a campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Every Munster pundit is pushing for Zebo or JOD to be included

It's the usual media stuff to generate clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s mainly paranoia from one poster who is obsessed with Leinster.

Thats not true. ive seen nothing about JOD and the fact jimmy O'Brian got called up has pretty much ended Zebos Irish career. Zebo is finished at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Lads a bit off topic but how bad is the view from the highest seats behind the goal in the Aviva? Still some €90 tickets available on ticket master and might be my only chance to get to a 6 nations game

• Subscribers Posts: 41,597 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement

Section 518 was the one I clicked on, seems to be right in the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

For what it is worth, I've sat pretty much everywhere in the Aviva and never had a bad view.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

View is still excellent from the back row.

Personally think higher up is better.

Thanks for that folks, just need to persuade swmbo to part with the few quid now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Niamh Briggs and Alan Quinlan have brought it up numerous times lately on thered78 podcast about JOD and Zebo and its on twitter

Quinlan brought it up elsewhere too

Cian Tracey I think mentioned them in the Indo too

Just because you haven't seen/heard it doesn't mean it didn't happen

Is the Red78 not a munstercentric podcast? You'd expect them to be pushing munster players over alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I thought the gas he showed was very encouraging, he has bulked up a lot over the past few seasons but I thought he looked a step quicker and a couple of kgs lighter at the weekend.

A munster podcast would be pro munster. At least they dont pretend its not a munster podcast. Didnt see Cian Tracey mention him but i would say he is very bias towards munster

" Oli Jager has clearly got the best hands of them all. Ah, the irony, as Jager is an Irishman. But the pass off his left hand that helped Will Jordan get away for the run that set up the Crusaders’ first try was a delight. Jager has a soft touch and you would think Joe Schmidt must be taking note as Jager is now eligible for the All Blacks and has expressed a desire to play for them. "

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/127851369/mark-reason-all-blacks-props-inferiority-may-cost-them-the-next-world-cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sexton being tipped to start again this weekend, crazy if it happens.

Advertisement