Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Agreed. There is absolutely no merit whatsoever in playing him against Italy. We'll put points on the board regardless of who starts at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Id agree that he shouldn't start v Italy I think a big issue is the fact he is captain. Which makes it more difficult to leave him out. We seem to be repeating the same mistake as 2019 with an older captain guaranteed a starting Jersey.

I think you have to pass over the captaincy to a younger candidate for the summer tour but keep sexton as part of the leadership group and in the squad.

Also he had a slight hamstring strain 2 weeks ago Why risk further damage to it ruling him out of the rest of the tournament by rushing him back for the Italy game.

Also if sexton starts we should play Murray as SH. If/when sextons calf tightens up we will need a kicker on the field with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

It's because of the prize money.

If we lose the championship on points difference because we don't rack up enough points against Italy, the IRFU loses out on a million euros.

For the IRFU it's about money, not winning world cups (or even performing). If it was, there'd be no question of Sexton starting this game. No other country would start an injury prone 36 year old out half against a tier 2 nation.

Hopefully he's left at home for the NZ tour.

Yes but if your going to promote a player being selected, put forward an argument for who he should replace and why. AF can't just call up 50 players to train just to keep everyone happy.

Zebo doesnt get picked ahead of Hansen, Lowe, Keenan, Conway right now IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I hope that Farrell leaves the older lads home for the summer tour. This tour should be about building for next year. I think it's vital to build depth at lh and 10. Losing a series in N.Z isn't all bad, if the squad is replenished and depth added.

I'd hope that Prendergast is involved and Ross Molony too. The minutes would be ideal for Ben Healy and Harry Byrne. No sense in bringing Sexton. Cian Healy and POM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ireland are not going to a 3 game tour of New Zealand with anything less than the best available players. Even thinking that isn’t what will happen is fanciful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

France and England both played their first choice 10s against Italy and left them on for the full 80 mins. Sure, their first choice 10s are young, but they still didn’t use the Italian game to build any sort of depth at 10. They played their best options to maximise their return. We will have Joey on for 20-30 mins at least.

Much and all as I’d like to see Joey start, I’m not sure how much difference an extra 20-30 mins against Italy at home would have for his development. So from that perspective I’m not sure it really matters.

Whilst I’d be inclined to start Carbery myself I think Sexton won’t have played in quite a while and it might be a push to start against England in two weeks time. I can very much see why he might start. Most posting here have the WC squarely in their sights, AF has a six nations in his.

If Sexton starts, then by 50 minutes then get Joey on. But if we persist with Sexton til 70 minutes then its kind of pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Iain Henderson produced a positive COVID result during the routine testing of squad and management upon arrival into camp on Monday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I want Ireland to go out there trying to win the series. Best shot at that in decades, maybe ever. Doing well there could be a huge boost to morale and belief ahead of the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hope Henderson makes a full recover. Been a rotten season for him with injuries and now this.

That's just not an accurate comparison. France and England's first choice 10s are both 22 years old. In Smith's case, he's only had a few caps and needs the exposure.

Sexton is 36 years old and can't string 3 games together. Massive difference.

It's not just playing an extra 30 minutes. Starting the game at 10, running the plays and directing the team from the start is very different to coming on with 20 minutes to go when the result is in the bag, the bench is emptied and the game has broken up. Look at the Wales game, the last 20 minutes was a total mess.

He's also only ever started one 6N game, and in 18 months he's probably going to be starting a World Cup knockout match, so yeah it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Irish Rugby | Covid Rules Iain Henderson Out of Italy Fixture

Well shyte anyway. Not a big deal cos it's Italy but just means he's still undercooked going into the England game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I’d say it’s unlikely he has any recovery to make. If it was picked up in a routine returning to camp test he’s almost certainly asymptomatic.

That pretty much settles the debate on who starts 4 and 5 or if bierne would go to 6 for tye Italy game anyway.

Would like to see Coombes or Timoney get a run in the back row.

And lowry and balacoune to have a run in the back 3 with Lowe.

And Jgp to be rested.

Porter Sheehan Furlong Beirne Ryan Doris VDF Conan

JGP Sexton Hansen Aki Ringrose Conway Keenan

That's what i expect to see when it's announced on Friday

Would prefer to see Joey and Balacoune start with a few changes on the bench too but it's unlikely otherwise it's 4 weeks with no games for some unless they play for their provinces this/next weekend (if there is games)

I honestly don’t believe that starting a game against Italy 20 months out from a RWC knock out game is really going to be the difference between Joey being able to lead us to a win or not on that knock out game.

• Advertisement

An interesting stat re Carbery. He’s been available for selection for just 7 games under Farrell. He has started 4 of those and come off the bench in the other 3.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I agree, though I also think a) giving him 30 minutes at the end is even more pointless and b) starting Sexton or Carberry won't be the difference between winning and losing the 6N. It's a poor call I think.

I'd go with.

Porter sheehan Bedhlam (rest furlong)

Bierne Ryan

Coombes Doris Vdf (id rest Conan played on the lions etc doesn't need this game)

Murray Carberry (sexton will get late niggle again)

Henshaw Ringrose

Lowe lowry Balacoune

Bench.

Herring, kilkoyne, Healy, Baird Timoney, Casey, Carty, Hume.

I’m not sure it’s gonna affect anything at all tbh. The game, the Championship, the RWC. As long as Joey gets enough minutes overall then his involvement this weekend is pretty irrelevant overall. I’d start him, but I’m not sure how big a deal not starting him would actually be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think the four weeks thing is a red herring. There'll always be reasons for not freshening things up.

You may be right by the way, but I'd like to see 2 or 3 more changes than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If I thought Carbery was getting all 3 NZ tests then I would agree with you. This weekend isn't going to make a big difference. But in reality Sexton will be chomping at the bit to go to NZ, especially after missing the Lions. So make a few changes now, we will win either way.

The really brave call would be playing Carbery in Twickenham!

In isolation, no. But it's cumulative.

France was Carbery's first ever 6N start, he put in a decent performance and Italy couldn't be a better opportunity for him to build on it. Carbery starting and putting in an 8/10 performance would be great for his confidence in the long run. He'd then have two solid 6N starts under his belt and Sexton comes back in for England.

Sexton will probably play a blinder v Italy. Ok great, we already knew Sexton is class. We haven't gained anything. We'll put 40 points on Italy with anyone at 10. He'll then go and get injured against England or Scotland.

Just heard a rumour that casey is on the bench, no murray at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Good!

• Advertisement

It’s cumulative? He missed the last 2 6Ns through injury. He missed the Autumn Nations due to injury. He missed most of the 2019 6Ns through injury (was available for rounds 1 and 2 only). You need to go back to the 2018 6Ns to find a time when he was regularly available and didn’t get minutes. When he was 23 and playing FB for Leinster.

Under Farrell he has started 4 of the 7 games he has been available for as well as 1 of the 2 6Ns games he’s been available for. The other he came off the bench despite only just being back from injury.

The issue with Carbery hasn’t been a selection issue, at least not in the last 3-4 years. It’s been an availability issue.

Advertisement