Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

I'm always slightly nervous that my source is telling me porkies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Same size as Kolbe and S.Williams. Would be rare enough alright but give him a chance before writing him off.

He wasn't too small to be one of the standout performers in Europe this season. He's excelled at every level he's been asked to step up to thus far, test rugby is the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm a big Keenan fan and have no doubt he is first choice for the time being but if Lowry is able to cope physically then he has the ability to put massive on Keenan which is good for everyone.

I don't think people outside Ulster appreciate just how good Lowry is. Hopefully people will see soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Only issue is the lack of Coombes, can't wait to see Lowry and Baird show what they can do

You'd have to think Farrell sees something in Baloucoune's game that he needs to work on. I thought he'd get a run in this game.

Nonetheless, it's a bloody exciting back 3 though. I can definitely see us scoring a lot of tries here and I can't wait to see how Lowry goes. Against a tier 1 nation you can't really carry two wingers who are suspect in defence but we're going to have so much possession and territory on Sunday it won't matter.

Hopefully Carbery will get front foot ball to play off to show what he can do.

Kelleher will have a fight on his hands to get back the 2 jersey methinks. Sheehan is a f*cking animal.

2nd row is seriously skilful and mobile, albeit it lacks a bit of power. Won't get away with that against England but against Italy it won't matter.

POM starting makes sense from a leadership and lineout point of view with both Hendy and Ryan out.

Doris needs to bring down his error count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think Lowry has definitely gone up a notch this season, can't wait to see him.

Downside for these guys is that no matter how well they play, it's only Italy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I suppose it gives Ireland two completely different options at 15 moving forward. Keenan is probably the most reliable player since Rob Kearney and lowry Is just complete X factor. Depends on what the game plan is moving forward.

Havent been as excited about an Irish back three in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

That my only disappointment here too, not sure what we learn from Conan on the bench. Giving Coombes 30mins at no.6 or 8 would have been good to see. I get a vibe that Farell doesn't rate Coombes. He has had a slight dip in form but he's the starting no.8 at Munster and has had some very strong performances in the European Cup. Added to that he brings something different than Conan and Doris in terms of sheer size and ball carrying power in the tight. If youre building a squad with the next WC in mind he's the kind of guy you want to get game time for. Agasint the likes of France or the Saffers he could be just the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

Dat Backline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Definitely feels like we're missing a trick by not giving Coombes gametime. We struggled up front against France and having the option of playing a player with that level of physicality (who also has lovely hands) would be pretty invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'd be of the same opinion on Lowry.

But he's definitely earned the right to try. Hope he has a belter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Andy Farrell is by far the least conservative selector in my time as a supporter of Irish rugby. I was a bit too young to fully appreciate how conservative a selector Eddie O'Sullivan was. Kidney was very conservative until his job was under threat and Joe Schmidt, as much as I admire and respect him for his time at Leinster and Ireland, didn't push the boat out too much either.

Andy Farrell has the luxury of open selection because we're producing better players in every position. I didn't rate EOS or Kidney as coaches but they kinda had to pick what was available to them. We had a bigger pool under Joe and have significant talent now in most positions with Farrell in charge.

Conservatism and a deference to reliability played a part in historic selections, but we're in relatively uncharted territory from a team Ireland perspective with the level of competition for places currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Given the selections we have seen from Farrell in the last six months, he's not afraid to give new guys a run. That POM is starting and Coombes is yet to feature probably means Coombes has some things to work on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Don’t usually enjoy watching the Italy games, but looking forward to this one

• Subscribers Posts: 41,605 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think its obvious watching Coombes play at URC level that he has somethings to work on.

yes hes athletic and powerful, but he has a sloppiness to his play he needs to iron out before being a test player (which i think hes good enough to be)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Eddie was by far the most conservative of the modern coaches but Ireland didn't have remotely the same depth in the early to mid naughties that they have now so it was kind of understandable. But I seem to remember he was very reluctant to use his bench as well.

Fair play to Farrell for not doing a Schmdt on it.

Carbery can hopefully show that he can get the backline moving and not play too deep.

Hopefully Casey will get a run also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s a pity Ryan and Henderson are out. Coombes probably would have come in with POM on the bench and Conan dropping out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think that understates Lowrys ability a fair bit. He’s good under the highball and brave in defence too.

Mind you Keenan is a lot more than just reliable too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,605 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

but evidently hes not.

there is absolutely zero evidence of Farrell holding any player to a different standard, or not giving a guy an opportunity if deserved. ZERO

trying to use the old "everyone else is wrong" argument is just silly at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

Could even seen the option that if you want both in the backline you could shift Keenan to the wing and put Lowry at 15, if we want to catch the opposition by surprise that is.

I don't know how anyone can be disappointed with that team

Carbery starting at 10, which he didn't have to do

Lowry at 15, which he also didn't have to do.

Sheehan and Baird both starting

Hansen and Lowe on the wings which is very exciting.

Casey and Hume making the squad. He didn't have to leave out Murray.

I don't think we realistically could have expected much more to be honest.

It's all well and good shouting for 10 changes but very often that's detrimental for team performance and you don't really learn anything from it. I think he's struck a good balance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some posters might not be happy with the personnel in the various positions but that's a great/brave section for a 6Ns team, Farrell is definitely not afraid to change teams up and more importantly he's changed how we play too - hence the undroppable Murray isn't even in the match day squad for Sunday. All good to see with a view the W/Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Maybe but I don't think POM and Coombes are in competition to be honest. Beirne covers the 6 shirt from lock and POM covers both 6 and 7. Coombes is in direct competition with Conan and Doris as to my mind he either starts or doesn't make the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Henderson missing out affected this selection. I reckon POM would not have featured. It's a shame for Coombes! This is the kind of test match that could build him and his confidence.

Baird starting is good. I'm not convinced and a run out against the Italians should benefit him. I think he's fortunate to be in the squad, he hasn't really impressed me. I'd have Molony in before him or Treadwell but, Farrell must believe he will deliver.

Disappointed for Timoney too. He won't get a run this series, bar injury. Happy to see Kilcoyne! I hope he has a stormed and puts pressure on Healy.

I think now is the point to give Carberry the remaining starts. The very least that we'll learn is if he is up to it! Sexton can come on if he **** the bed! I think they're settled on him and the more experience, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Would like to have seen Hume start and Coombes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

The Sexton rumours worked like they were suppose to. People are happy that he is just a sub and no one is bothered Carty is not involved.

Great PR job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Kudos to Farrell + the coaching team, great selection. One of the most exciting backlines we've fielded in years. Turns out you don't have to slavishly pick your "best" team in every 6N game.

Advertisement