Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Violent Mediocrity

“Kelleher will have a fight on his hands to get back the 2 jersey methinks. Sheehan is a f*cking animal.”

He may be an animal, and i think his strength is his speed, agility and all round footballing ability make him a great player but Ronan Kelleher is far more explosive in contact and around the field. For that reason he is more animalistic than Sheehan.

He has enormous explosiveness and makes an impact in contact that Sheehan does not. Kelleher will have a fight on his hands to get back the 2 jersey . If Ronan doesn’t pal up with all his teammates, puts the lazers on and f….ing destroys everyone in contact in training he may well take the jersey for the next ten years.

But the downward cast eyes act has got to end. And the dropping of his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Hansen

Aki

Henshaw

Baloucoune

Carbery

Murray

Porter

Sheehan

Furlong

Henderson

Beirne

Doris

VDF

Coombes

What a farce of a selection. Utterly fed up of irish rugby.

You're having a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

That's a nice balanced selection. Like to see Treadwell there too, with Coombes at 8 and Beirne at 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Happyhouse22

For real?

What team would you have selected?

I think is a great selection and it will be great to give some new guys a chance in the 6 nations environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Although I’m a traditionalist, if I’m getting huffy and want to make some sort of nonsense point I usually pick a full XV.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Lowry at 15 of course

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I honestly have to laugh at people still moaning about the selection when we have Sheehan, Baird and Lowry all getting their first starts. We have Carbery at 10 when we could have Sexton. We have Lowe and Hansen on the wings, both of whom are still pretty new to the international game. We also have Casey and Hume on the bench. We’ve blooded a whole bunch of new players over the last few years. It’s genuinely hilarious that people are still finding ways to complain.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,605 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

^

But not surprising in the least

• Advertisement

To be fair most of the actual complaints about selection have come from posters who would be happy with nothing short of their own ridiculous selections that are laced with bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If we put out the under 20’s some would still find reason to complain. It’s just their nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Anyone know when the last time a fit Connor Murray was left out of a 6N match day 23? Must be a decade ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I love the lack of self awareness teetering on downright arrogance of statements like these.

What impact on anyones life would you being fed up with Irish Rugby have? Why do you think it's a point worth making? Are you hoping to start a movement?

Based on your post history quite frankly one less fan with your attitude can only be a good thing in the long run. So here is me hoping that you're fed up enough to just let it all go and never grace anything rugby related again.

The world (and indeed this forum) needs less "mood hoovers".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I'm seeing lots of comparisons to the Germans' actions prior to the start of WWII; people arguing for greater US/EU/UK involvement to counteract Russia.

Personally, with the benefit of hindsight, I think it might well have been better if Britain and France hadn't declared war on Germany. Is 44 years stuck under grim communism such a great outcome for all those former Eastern bloc countries? From what I've heard, people with experience of both say the Russians were far worse than the Germans. Maybe the fascists and communists should have just been left to fight it out between themselves.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We just ignore the extermination of millions of people for convenience?

• Advertisement

Is this still the rugby thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Wtf??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭OldRio

What? Are you fecking deranged?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Half wits would be ashamed of merde like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If we lose to that England team I'll be fuming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I think that's a dated comment tbh. A lot of the law changes around the tackle really benefits quick smaller backs with a fast step. They're a nightmare for defences when running at pace and dipping to swerve since they can't tackle high anymore (or risk a card) and have to show intent to wrap so even the biggest forward can only passively soak tackle them low which negates their physical advantage.

Then there's 50:22 which requires more players in the backfield on defence, agile players who can read the game well, kick well and counter attack. There's a much greater need for varied skillsets as opposed to filling the backline with Gatland style big lumps who can only carry and defend well. World Rugby generally seem to want the game to move in a direction which favours skillsets over size.

I wouldn't be surprised if players like Lowry and Kolbe turned out to be early examples of the modern back 3 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Happyhouse22

So what off topic but, Is Oli Janet Irish qualified?

Watching Crusaders playing and impressed with him( but not impressed enough to suggest he will definitely get an all black call up), but I was looking at his profile and he is born in London and his father is Dutch so would he even qualify for us? Is his mother Irish.

Obviously he was brought up in Ireland but I don’t think that alone would qualify him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,605 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hes qualified as his mother is irish, but has no interest in coming back to play for ireland. his goal is firmly an all black jersey.

his biggest competition will come from his understudy at crusaders, tamatai williams

• Registered Users Posts: 38,423 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is a lineup that can score a lot of points against weaker opposition I think.

Delighted to see Sheehan get the start, definitely deserves it after last week.

I love Doris at 8, I think he's our best there by a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

Even our performance in Paris would be good enough to beat England so if we learn from the France loss and fix want went wrong in that game I think we should beat England in 2 weeks.

Advertisement