Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I don't think losing to England at Twickenham should set off alarm bells. As long as we are competitive in the set-pieces and we don't have a system failure in our defense the score shouldn't really get to far away from us. A losing bonus point would be a good result in my opinion.

We absolutely have to expect to beat Scotland in Dublin though, and preferably pick up a try bonus point as well.

We should then finish second, as I expect France to beat Wales away and to beat England at home to pick up the grand slam.

The build up to the tour to New Zealand will be exciting, there are so many debates to be had in almost every position, and we have to get more rotation in some key positions, particularly with a view to further developing the squad for the world cup.

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd be very surprised if he picked Baloucoune at this stage.

I think it'll be Hansen, Conway and Keenan again.

Henderson will come in for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

He was good v France. Did what he was asked. It was his first 6N start. What are people expecting from him? Seriously..consider his injury profile and starts when judging him.

"s.hit" is a complete horse "s.hit" statement. He has never let Ireland down. On the contrary

He's still going to be 26 at the WC. Sexton was 26 and winning his 21st cap v Aus at the 2011 RWC.

If Carbery is given opportunities and remains injury free he will develop and improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I don't think losing to England at Twickenham should set off alarm bells. As long as we are competitive in the set-pieces and we don't have a system failure in our defense the score shouldn't really get to far away from us. A losing bonus point would be a good result in my opinion.

Before the tournament I'd have said the same. But after watching England in the first 3 games my opinion has changed. We need to be beating this England team if we're to get to where we want to be. They aren't a great side. I think we'll need a massive reality check if we lose this.

Fair point, at their current level we should fancy ourselves alright. They are unusually poor the first few rounds, maybe they are sacrificing this six nations in the hope of developing something new for the world cup.

• Advertisement

maybe they are sacrificing this six nations in the hope of developing something new for the world cup.

Oh they 100% are. But that doesn't change that fact that they aren't very good right now and we really should be beating them.

I fully expect them to be a force come the RWC, even though I don't think a nation with the money, resources and playing pool of England should need to sacrifice 6Ns in order to perform at world cups. You never see New Zealand having nightmare seasons like England in 2018 and 2021, yet they always manage to perform at world cups.

That's the way I'd see the squad for this weekend shaping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

We've a lot of defending to do v England. It's hard to see Farrell going into this game without Lowe's left boot.

Strange to see a squad without 3 dedicated tight-head props named, and no mention whether O'Toole might be fit in time.

I wonder whether Healy or Loughman would be the tight-head backup, probably Healy I'd guess.

Perhaps John Ryan is on call should he need to be brought in at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Perhaps John Ryan is on call should he need to be brought in at short notice.

I don't know but I'd assume if Ryan isn't already called up he will have travelled with Munster to SA, if that is the case then he is least best placed to be called up at short notice.

• Advertisement

Yes, just checked the squad and John Ryan was named so he is out of contention.

Maybe Marty Moore is next in line?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Marty Moore was good (again) on Friday, he must really have p*ssed some people off that he doesn't seem to be in the mix at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Or, maybe England just aren't very good at the moment. Doesn't need to be part of some masterplan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

I think its more of this to be honest. I think after 2019 people are too afraid to write England off a year out from the RWC that they have convinced themselves that its some sort of masterplan and I must say for a masterplan its very well disguised as I yet to see anything from England to make me think they will win the next RWC, the main issue is any good players they have to come back in arent proper test experienced players like in 2019 you brought back in Bill Vunipola, Manu Tuilagi, Mako Vunipola etc who had a World Cup behind them whereas now you have good young players yes but how many are experienced enough to the point you'd back them to lead England at the next RWC only 18 months away? It could happen but I dont think any of what we are seeing is a masterplan, I think there is thought to the RWC yes but alot of it seems more of a gamble than a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s not a master plan though, or some brilliant game plan waiting to happen. Eddie Jones is all about cohesion, he believes everything revolves around it. That’s what he’s trying to build in his team. We get a natural sense of cohesion, as we only have 4 clubs and the majority of players in the team play at 1 club. Familiarity and understanding exists before international camps. He’s trying to manufacture it now and give it time to bed in.

will it work, who knows but it has before. England aren’t tactical geniuses. Neither is Jones, his game plans have always been simple but effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

You've read something I never wrote. I didn't call Carbs s.hit. I said he didn't s.hit the bed in France which is why he got 'great' plaudits.

FYI, Sexton has firmly established himself as the first choice outhalf by his 25th cap and was already in the dominant position long before that (essentially from his first Six Nations campaign sans a bit of jockeying with ROG). Carbs has 5 more caps and has never even looked like he will vaguely trouble an aged Sexton for the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

implying that he didn't sh..whatever..is implying that he could have. And there is zero evidence to suggest he would have.

to be blunt Paddy Jackson, Burns, O'Gara all have had far inferior performances and showed mental frailty in their early international careers compared to Carbery.

without going down a rabbit hole & fyi yourself:

Sexton was a better player than O'Gara and certainly better than the 34 year old O'Gara.

Sexton at 36 is a better player than Carbery. So what? Therefore Carbery's not good enough?? Ridiculous.

Carbery just needs games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Think we can win! We are capable and England haven't been great! Losing Porter is tough. I'd start Kilcoyne. Healy offers little in the loose these days. Conway comes straight back in. Hansen to the bench.

Id like to see Balacoune involved, but I doubt he'll be involved. Henderson should come in and Doris to the bench. Back row of Beirne, Vdf and Conan.

Carbery just needs games.

He's had 30 games and never shown anything to suggest he's good enough.

How many games does he get before we realise he isn't the answer and cut our losses? 50? 75?

I honestly don't know what anyone sees in him. He has no running threat. He doesn't attack the gainline. He doesn't square up when passing. His passing is meh. He's not particularly quick. And his decision making is questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think JC is safe enough for this world cup cycle. He's average. He has had plenty of opportunities and is not close to Sextons level. I couldn't see him in the Scottish squad or England's either. He would probably make Wales squad.

Next world cup cycle, he's going to be under extreme pressure from Crowley and Healy. I can't see him holding on! But, he's better than Burns and Ross. We are fucked that there is nobody else.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You are absolutely reading something into those posts that aren’t there.

It's kind of irrelevant whether Carbery is good enough, so long as he's the best we have.

Just did a simulated play through of what is likely to happen this weekend. I reckon we should be sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭ersatz

Very hard to say yet with the opposition Healy has had. JC has not set games on fire at ten for Ireland but he hasn't had a poor game and has played in some big ones. He is very composed and kicks well even when the pressure is on. He is not going to win us a WC or a grand slam, but he is very solid and it's hard to say that anyone else is consistently better than him in an Irish context, other than Sexton. As a player though I think 15 suits JC's skills far more, he needs a bit of time on the ball to excel which he will never have as an international 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

In case there was any lingering doubt about his intentions, Sexton has now extended his contract to the RWC.

Irish Rugby | Johnny Sexton Signs Contract Extension to 2023 Rugby World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭joedamuss

Agree fully, Healy is a better kicker, passer and is way stronger physically, and has a cool head under pressure. Has to be on the plane to NZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Sure because nobody else gets a chance to play at irish level. As a munster fan healys better than joey right now

Advertisement