Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Did anyone else see Jamie George literally bubbling up in his post match interview and saying it was "one of his proudest moments in an England shirt". That's pretty embarrassing to be honest. Like, I know they were down to 14, but they still got outscored 4 tries to 0 and lost by 17 points, which shouldn't be happing even with a man advantage. We were all raging after losing AWAY to Wales last year, having played 4/5 of the game with 14. Maybe they just rate us so highly that losing to us by 17 points is a "heroic effort". Maybe we should be flattered.

If an Irish player said that after a 17 point loss at home, I'd never want to see them in a green jersey ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Couldn't agree more. Englands standards have slipped so much, down to celebrating after this loss. They gave up trying to play rugby, kicked everything and relied on their scrum and defence pressure. At least when we lost POM last year we still scored a few tries and played a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect their view is understandably coloured by bringing the game back to 15-15 with not much time to go. That was a phenomenal performance to that point. Ireland did exceptionally well to take advantage of the tiring English side to close the game out exceptionally well. Seems some of us are going out of our way to find fault in England being proud of what they managed for 60 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I donthink we can gloss over the reality. Our handling was fairly poor yesterday. Decision making was poor at times. The scrum was mullered! Tadgh Furlong was outplayed! When have we ever said that. Healy looks completely off the pace and of course, Carberry was only trusted to play for 20 seconds!

If England are as poor as some think, we are not as good as I hoped we would be. Winning by 17 is grand but, it was only in the last 8 minutes that we pulled away. I can't understand why our lads felt the need to force things. Some slower play and cooler heads were needed, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

He's a level below those four. I don't think he had the consistency across his entire career, nor the Lions recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

His points records, his match winning abilities. winning kicks for grand slam as well as role with Munsters wins in europe. he is def up with those 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Thought his final 3/4 seasons were very poor. Just didn't play well enough. He was very good at his peak, but didn't last as long as the others. Also, he was very poor across the 09 Grand Slam season. BOD was the standout player that year.

And there's the fact that he was never the undisputed best across B&I or Europe unlike BOD, POC, Sexton or Heaslip.

ROG for me is in the same bracket as Bowe and Kearney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I do love a ROG conversation... 😄

ROG was great, but his game had too many flaws for him to be in the same bracket as BOD/POC/Heaslip/Sexton. Sexton on his own is, frankly, starkly ahead of him. That is why Stephen Jones was the starting flyhalf for the Lions ahead of him.

A recently underperforming English team, lost a player after 2 minutes and still put it up to a highly rated Irish team turning the crowd in their favour in an almost cinematic fashion, and as a front row his role in that was key. Of course he was emotional, of course it meant a lot to him. If anything it says how rated Ireland are at the moment.

Good for Jamie George, seems hugely popular amongst the Irish players and has had a terrific career. If that game meant a lot to him then I'm happy to have seen Ireland come out the right side of that. We've had plenty of emotional Irish players interviewed after coming second best and now we're the team winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I wince at your inclusion of heaslip in that grouping

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Eric Miller was an outstanding no.8 in his time....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Speaking of Jamie George. He was still on the field at 79 minutes after playing 77 minutes with 14 men.. bit foolish from Eddie Jones..

Also left George Ford on the bench for the full 80 when players were out on their feet.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why am I even reading about ROG, Heaslip or Miller? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

So come Saturday if France lose too England would it be possible to go back to the Aviva and see Ireland lift the trophy or would it be closed off by then? And the trophy presented behind closed doors? I'm going to the game myself so would likely stay in the Aviva if they allow it, but I have some friends who would be in the city watching the game would they be allowed enter without tickets? What was the procedure in 2015 when we last were waiting on a result from Paris (I know the game was in Edinburgh).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Was at the match in 2015, watched all three games at Murrayfield, big screens set up for the other games, they had a great setup. That was some day.

There's much more space around Murrayfield than Lansdowne so don't think it could be replicated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Ireland were favourites going into the match and then England got a red less than 2 minutes into the game. I think Ireland were 8-0 up after 8 minutes. So over the next 60 odd minutes the score was 15-8 to England. It was a massive effort.

And complaining about the moral victory being embarrassing is funny when Sexton was beaming with pride himself last year when we lost v Wales after being down to 14.

“The effort was incredible. You wouldn’t have known we were playing with 14 if you were looking at the game, so I’m very proud.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Small point... But again, England were favourites with the bookies before kick off. Just.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I put money on Ireland at -1.0 on Saturday morning so certainly Paddy Power had us as (the narrowest) favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Anyone know around what minute Doris' disallowed try was? Missed it during the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Ireland were favourites @kuang1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

And it was Ireland +1 with paddypower just before kick off!

Was sitting in the pub and commented on it with the gang I was with and one of them put €50 on there and then. He was saying at 15 all that his bet was still winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Probably the vast sums that I lumped on shifted the odds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The flip side of that argument is Andrew Porter. Made his Leinster debut straight after his under 20s season (at loosehead) switched to TH at the end of that season and made his international debut less than a year after starting in the Under 20s final.

If Boyle is good enough, he's old enough. Certainly I expect him to be getting some senior caps for Leinster next season. If he starts well and starts knocking on the door for Leinsters strongest 23. He will absolutely be getting a look in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

How old was Healy when he broke through? Agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Healy made his Leinster debut in 2006/07 season against Reivers but that was the second last game of the season against a poor team (and he came on at hooker!)

His breakout season for Leinster was 2007/08 where he made 13 apps. His debut for Ireland however didn't come until the 09/10 season in the November tests against Australia where he started

I can't figure out why he wasn't selected for that summer tour in 2009. He'd just started for Leinster in every game of a successful HC campaign and yet the looseheads on the USA and Canada tour appeared to have been Tony Buckley and Tom Court. Maybe he was injured...

None of the leinster players went on the 09 summer tour due to the HC final.

A load of them went to the Churchill Cup iirc but that was Ireland A.

• Advertisement

Porter is unique to be honest and was a serious weightlifter in school. I'd be interested to see his lifting stats as against the top end of professional rugby as he is easily our most physical player but obviously has good conditioning as he can play 80 minutes when called on.

We definitely can't win a world cup without him and Furlong in top shape, two crucial players at this point.

Advertisement