Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

100% agree.. majority of our IQ players have been in positions that we have no issues in producing players.

Klyen and Roux were residency attempts at big locks but neither worked out.

At tighthead 2 potential guys who I think are out of contract this year are Dan Brennan and Oli Jager.

Not sure about any looseheads..But we have some decent ones coming through. Boyle, Milne,wycherly etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Our imports like JGP, Aki, Hansen, Lowe are all excellent players (in Lowe's case, world class) but they're all in positions where we already have many options. 

I'm not sure I'd agree that JGP plays in a position where we have many options...

However, I don't think Frisch is being signed with a view to playing for Ireland, I would say he's squad depth?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think lh will be better supplied next year. Although I think Healy is at best a 20 minute player, Kilcoyne is also a good sub. Wycherly is doing well and Milne is finally healthy. Loughman I have been impressed with, I thought he was great recently v Leinster.

Ed Byrne has been very good recently. I feel like he's too small for international rugby but, he is probably a good pick to be an impact sub.

There's a good chance that either Wycherly or Loughman will travel to N.Z. it could be the making of them. This year is too late for Milne, but a good pre season and I think he's going to play a lot next season.

Lock is not an area I worry about too much. There are big players coming on right now. A little experience and the likes of Ahern and Izzy could put there hands up. Niall Murray is a lad who's very impressive. He's played a lot and is developing nicely.

• Referees announced for Ireland’s summer Tests in New Zealand

Test 1 - July 2nd - Karl Dickson

Test 2 - July 9th - Jaco Peyper

Test 3 - July 16th - Wayne Barnes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'm not sure I'd agree that JGP plays in a position where we have many options...

Murray, Cooney, Doak, Marmion, Blade, Casey. I don't think we'd be screwed if any of those guys were starting a big game for Ireland.

Whereas at LH prop, we have Porter and that's it. And he was only moved to LH out of necessity. And we only have 3 international standard locks, 2 of which are always struggling with injuries and form. That's where we should be focusing on identifying IQ players to bring in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think kleyn gets a hard time, hes unspectacular but solid. compared to the all singing all dancing other second rows we have he doesnt stand out be hes very good at what he does

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Yeah Kleyn got a rough time when selected for Ireland. There's was huge pressure on him as it was all the talk with Toner getting dropped. He never got a run of games to settle in. I think he's a key figure for Munster, take him out and the pack looks a lot smaller.

His recent form probably deserved a call up but doesn't look like Farrell is a fan.

Kleyn is bang average lads.

He's big and powerful in tight exchanges, but lacks mobility to get around the park and has a poor handling skill set.

Both of those negatives mean he does not suit the gameplan Farrell's Irish side want to play, or the gameplan most teams seem to be evolving towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Confirmation bias in a single post, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Despite his size, Dan Brennan has only played loosehead lately. 4 starts and a handful of bench appearances this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

This exactly. Kleyn doesn't have any form of passing ability of note that's been displayed recently.

Being a ball handling forward gets you a look in first and foremost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He played u20s for France in 2018, which was the year they stopped teams using u20s as a capture team. If he had played against Wales at that level there's a chance he was tied in but as it's over 3 years ago he'd be freed up under the new rules in any case.

He could potentially be a great signing if he commits long term but he's not likely to slot straight into the starting side as he's basically ProD2 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Brennan is probably making more $ than he would over in Ireland. He's young enough that he's probably going to get more opportunities next season and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

So July 2nd, 9th and 16th.

We clearly have a squad to go down there and compete but playing NZ is always just so nerve-wracking. We could win a test or we could lose by 30 if they show up in a certain mood.

The current NZ team isn't anywhere near as good as the 2012-2019 team IMO. France/SA/NZ could all beat each other on any given day right now. NZ still have very good players, but their starting XV isn't stacked with world class players to the same extent that it was 5/6 years ago, when about 10 of their first XV was the best in the world in their position. If I was picking a World XV, the only NZ player I'd have is Savea right now. And they also have Fozzy in charge...

I definitely think we have a test win in us, but we should be at the very least competitive in all 3. None of the tests should be blowouts. Cowering in fear over them should be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭ersatz

Injuries aside we should be going down with a lot of confidence. Funny how NZ are bigging up Aaron Smith as one of their world class greats currently, he’s a fine player but it speaks to how ordinary their player pool is now, especially when it comes to leaders on the field. Ireland have nothing to lose whereas NZ will approach this series with trepidation.

• Advertisement

When has Aaron Smith not been a world class SH? He's one of the best in the history of the game

With a few injuries knocking around we are likely to see a few uncapped players maybe making the squad.

I see kilcoyne has been ruled out. While not a test starter his absence opens up opportunities for maybe Wycherley or Loughman.

Also I'm not sure when Coombes, Bierne or Conway are due back.

Aki looks like a guy in need of a summer off. Maybe with Connachts season finishing early he will get a bit of a rest in before the Tour.

It's a tough year after a lions tour and all our lions tourists have either suffered knocks or loss of form at times so far this season.

Furlong. Calf injury pre 6 nations

Henderson. Injured missed start of 6 nations

Conan. Lost his spot during 6 nations

Murray. No longer guaranteed starter.

Henshaw. Injured for start of 6 nation, didn't regain Jersey.

Aki. Loss of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'd agree with a lot of this. Savea is a super star and the question is who joins him in the loose forwards. Cane will be one of them as he is captain but I personally don't think he should be there. Blindside is anyones guess.

Second row is an area of strength if everyone is fit. Retallick,Whitelock, Tuipolotu, Barrett and a bunch of good youngsters.

Front row is weak.

Smith is world class and TJ a great deputy. After that the standard drops. Is Fakatava eligible?

Mouaga is world class and Barrett is Barrett.

Midfield, I don't know but it's good to see Goodhue back.

The back 3 has a ton of talent and could rip any team apart. Will be interesting to see who they pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

The year he played 20s France had a baba's team so I think that year the 20s wasnt counted as their 2nd team so therefore he wasnt tied ( I may be corrected on this as im not 100% sure on this).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Reiko has to be there at 13.

12 is completely up for grabs.

Your back three combinations are genuinely frightening. Jordan, reece, Clarke, barrett x 2, DMACK if he's back...

Behind them you have fainga'anuku, tupea, Lowe, nanai seturo, Bridge...

• Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ioane was poor at 13 against us in November, their midfield was a bit rubbish. Looks like a winger playing out of position.

Probably not helped by NZ not having a 12.

In November NZ looked like a team that hadn't a notion what it's best team was. Has that been fixed?

They're unbeaten since.

I agree on the 2nd row. I've been really impressed with the two young lads at the Chiefs, Lord and Vai'i. They both have world class potential.

I've never been a fan of Rieko at 13. Always thought he could be a world class wing but never looked natural in the centre. It's Keith Earls' law: if you're unsure if someone is a centre, he's probably not a centre. Although he has looked good there for the Blues from what I've seen this season and NZ have invested a lot of time in him at 13 so I'd imagine he'll start there.

But who partners him will be very interesting. RTS has looked good for the Blues, does he get fast tracked in? Havili had some good games last season. Goodhue is back as you said. Jordie has been playing 12 for the Canes. And there's ALB. Tupaea is playing on the wing. None of them are Nonu or SBW though.

I don't agree that Mo'unga is world class. To be world class you have to be regularly putting in 8/9 out of 10 performances in the biggest games on the biggest stage. As good as Mo'unga is for the Crusaders he has never set the world alight at test level and he even lost his place to Beauden last season. But Mo'unga is in better form right now so he'll probably start.

If it were me I'd go with the Crusaders back three of Jordan at 15, with Reece and Fainga'anuku on the wings

Post edited by TRC10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MrTea

• Advertisement

Imagine Ireland nearly had Lowe on the left Wing and Sevu Reece on the Right wing.

Advertisement