Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Baloucoune and Lowry.

These players are only relevant against Italy and maybe Scotland. Otherwise these players are not significant to the Irish cause. I find it funny how you think Keenan or Stockdale or Conway or Lowry or Balacoune or Larmour can have any impact.

The Irish strategy is bog standard collisions. And another team manages to get the ball away before the collision happens it's just head scratching time for our Irish friends.

So while this conversation about our back three is amusing let's first accept who we are and what we do.

And the introduction of our injured heavies into the squad just backs this argument up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    These players are only relevant against Italy and maybe Scotland. Otherwise these players are not significant to the Irish cause. I find it funny how you think Keenan or Stockdale or Conway or Lowry or Balacoune or Larmour can have any impact.

The Irish strategy is bog standard collisions. And another team manages to get the ball away before the collision happens it's just head scratching time for our Irish friends.

So while this conversation about our back three is amusing let's first accept who we are and what we do.

And the introduction of our injured heavies into the squad just backs this argument up
    It isnt. Can you expand further on what Ireland do or what they should be doing instead of simply saying bog standard collisions?
    What does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Joma4good wrote: »
    Bryan Byrne playing very well tonight for Bristol against an admittedly v.poor Bath, wonder if any of the provinces will take another look in his direction. Munster or Connacht could do far worse than persuade him to return.

I wonder now that he is playing for a team that actually practice lineouts that he all of a sudden can throw into a lineout...

It isnt. Can you expand further on what Ireland do or what they should be doing instead of simply saying bog standard collisions?
    What does that even mean?

It's one off carries, it's slow line speed. These are the basics of Ireland. And against a Tier 1 team this is child's play. When was the last time you witnessed our good friends Murray and Sexton add something different. They just move the heavies around the park.

It's one off carries, it's slow line speed. These are the basics of Ireland. And against a Tier 1 team this is child's play. When was the last time you witnessed our good friends Murray and Sexton add something different. They just move the heavies around the park.

Neither Murray or Sexton offer anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Care to show clips or actually talk about what should be done, technical terms. what you would like rather than suggest they do "something different" or talk about "bog standard collisions". Talk about something that actually is relevant rather than spouting platitudes.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bryan Byrne playing very well tonight for Bristol against an admittedly v.poor Bath, wonder if any of the provinces will take another look in his direction. Munster or Connacht could do far worse than persuade him to return.

I'd look good against Bath tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's first choice for the team topping the GP and is playing alongside some big names. He's only a 1 year deal. Bristol have big money available when he sits down to discuss his future.

He isn't coming home any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    He's first choice for the team topping the GP and is playing alongside some big names. He's only a 1 year deal. Bristol have big money available when he sits down to discuss his future.

I didn't realise he was first choice. Fair play to him.

Buer wrote: »

Thacker is first choice, but out injured

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    I didn't realise he was first choice. Fair play to him.

Funny what abit of coaching can do.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Thacker is first choice, but out injured

When rugby returned and both were available, Byrne was getting the majority of the starts with Thacker benching.

With Thacker out relatively long term, Byrne has been enjoying a huge amount of game time but he appeared to have the nod prior to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I don't think anything about any impact. Someone asked about decent Irish backs with an all-round skill set, I mentioned two names I thought fell into that bracket.

Sometimes, people just answer questions that are asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

molloyjh wrote: »
    As I said, hyperbole everywhere. Not an ounce of perspective in sight.

Started watching rugby in 2019, it makes it a lot easier to understand. I’m telling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He also would have been a prime contender for every job open before the world cup.

They didn't assume the good times would keep rolling. They appointed a coach who they had experience with who likely went through extensive interviews for the role and had a recommendation from our most successful ever coach.

I don't agree. Top tier nations rarely appoint someone with zero head coaching experience (occasional exception like Martin Johnson and none especially successful. No need to make decision at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    I wonder now that he is playing for a team that actually practice lineouts that he all of a sudden can throw into a lineout...

so are you saying leinster don't practice lineouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Funny what abit of coaching can do.

so they aren't coaching players at Leinster? that's your theory?

As we go into the International window, let's all try not to respond to obvious nonsense. It just encourages it.

bayern wrote: »
    so are you saying leinster don't practice lineouts?

Apparently none of our hooker’s can throw into a lineout yet as soon as one of our hooker leaves these shores they all of a sudden can throw into a lineout...what changed I wonder?

Apparently none of our hooker’s can throw into a lineout yet as soon as one of our hooker leaves these shores they all of a sudden can throw into a lineout...what changed I wonder?

Your base line argument is incorrect therefore everything else after it simply wrong. No point continuing to push it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Anyone confirm a likely lineup for Wales?

Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Jonathan Davies, JWilliams or Watkin, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies or TWilliams; W Jones or Rhys Carre, K Owens or Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis; J Ball?, Alun Wyn Jones (capt); Lydiatie, Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.

George North (and the Ospreys) looked good against Connacht.
    Who are Ireland going to play against North?
    Earls? Please not again!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Eh, I'd trust Earls over Stockdale or Lowe when it comes to defence.

North isn't a likely starter anyway.

Stockdale is not in the squad
    Lowe has been injured

And I would take Lowe all day every day over Earls.
    North has been swatting Earls out of he way for years.
    He’s playing well again.
    Why do you think he won’t start?

North might indeed start as Liam Williams is suspended.

Earls' defence has been excellent in recent seasons. No concerns there. Lowe has had some howlers.

Most wingers would struggle against an in-form North.

North will 100% start!

Earls defence has improved but has always struggled against big men when specifically targeted.
    England have also exposed his defensive skills over the last few years.
    I’ve said it before I think he is done at this level.

I doubt Lowe is going to play.
    Daly would be a worthwhile replacement.
    But Farrell only gave him a few minutes in the autumn.

CMcsporty wrote: »
    But Farrell only gave him a few minutes in the autumn.

He was injured for the majority of the autumn. He only regained fitness for the Georgia game and, at that point, hadn't played in almost 3 months.

Yes. And he got 18 mins v Georgia.
    And Earls played v Scotland
    Short sighted

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Yes. And he got 18 mins v Georgia.
    And Earls played v Scotland
    Short sighted

You should write a letter of complaint.

Earls will be fine. I'd have no problem if Ireland moved on without him but that doesn't mean he's not a good option for right now.

I’m not sure Farrell would take my concerns seriously.

You might pass on my concerns?

In the meantime I will have to make do with boards
    I’m sure people won’t mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We gave 3 guys debuts in the back 3. Are we really calling that shortsighted given that 2 of those got a substantial amount of game time. This place can really be the pits at times. Its like people want to have these complaints to start with and then choose what things they want to talk about based on that and ignore everything else.

Advertisement