Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

The pits?
    People want to talk rugby.
    They probably want to talk a bit more than normal when you consider what is going on on the world.

Cheek of you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Earls must be one of our highest ever capped wingers? You don’t get that many caps if you’re shaky in defence.

I think he’s far better than people sometimes give him credit far with regards work rate, disrupting in the air and even counter-rucking. Add in he’s a 2nd highest ever try scorer. He’s obviously near the end of his career but he’s still a brilliant option.

Eh, I'd trust Earls over Stockdale or Lowe when it comes to defence.

North isn't a likely starter anyway.

Since his renaissance I've been a fan of Earls for his consistency and reliability.

I don't think he's much better defensively than Lowe though. He's positionally better and probably misses fewer tackles, but Lowe is a much more impactful tackler, doesn't give gainline and is very good at the breakdown.

Lowe is also much better going forward, even Earls at his best wouldn't be in the same category.

It's all academic now, Farrell really does need to be sparing with Earls - he will add value to any squad but it's a short term value and he is highly unlikely to be in the conversation come the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Since his renaissance I've been a fan of Earls for his consistency and reliability.

I don't think he's much better defensively than Lowe though. He's positionally better and probably misses fewer tackles, but Lowe is a much more impactful tackler, doesn't give gainline and is very good at the breakdown.

Lowe is also much better going forward, even Earls at his best wouldn't be in the same category.

It's all academic now, Farrell really does need to be sparing with Earls - he will add value to any squad but it's a short term value and he is highly unlikely to be in the conversation come the world cup.
    Lowe is not much better than Earls at his best and Lowe maybe is a more impactful tackler when he does make tackles but he's had plenty of mishaps/poor defensive reads.

Lowe is not much better than Earls at his best and Lowe maybe is a more impactful tackler when he does make tackles but he's had plenty of mishaps/poor defensive reads.

Maybe it's just down to perspective. I don't remember Earls ever having the tackle breaking or offloading game Lowe has. Lowe has a big fend I wouldn't associate Earls with. Both have a decent step and run good lines, but Lowe in my opinion has much more to his game going forward overall.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's just down to perspective. I don't remember Earls ever having the tackle breaking or offloading game Lowe has. Lowe has a big fend I wouldn't associate Earls with. Both have a decent step and run good lines, but Lowe in my opinion has much more to his game going forward overall.

I think that's all fair about Lowe, but then I think Earls is quicker and is a slightly better finisher? Defensively, I don't think there's any comparison.

aloooof wrote: »
    I think that's all fair about Lowe, but then I think Earls is quicker and is a slightly better finisher? Defensively, I don't think there's any comparison.

Earl's isn't lightning but he has great turnover and can run down anyone over 30+ meters. Over 5-10m I'd say they are comparable.

As for finishing, I'd take Lowe in a 1 v 1 or a 1 v 2 personally. Not trying to be harsh on Earl's, I just think Lowe is unique to any back 3 we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

North might indeed start as Liam Williams is suspended.

Earls' defence has been excellent in recent seasons. No concerns there. Lowe has had some howlers.

Most wingers would struggle against an in-form North.

Luckily for us George North hasn't been in form for about 5 years. At this point its hard to see him ever being that much of a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

AdamD wrote: »
    Luckily for us George North hasn't been in form for about 5 years. At this point its hard to see him ever being that much of a threat.

Agreed. I'd be much more concerned about Liam Williams.
    It's not really a big surprise that North is past it given he was a starting international at 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Lowe is only learning international rugby, he has great potential as his Leinster try scoring record in big games shows. He will definitely improve with more games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Agreed. I'd be much more concerned about Liam Williams.
    It's not really a big surprise that North is past it given he was a starting international at 18.

Williams is a cracking player but Lowe has tended to get the better of it when they’ve come up against each other. Not sure North has ever returned to the heights he reached from 2010-2013. Been solid enough to rack up close to 100 caps in a good Welsh team mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Did Furlong only play 40 because that was always the plan or because Ireland saw enough to give him the starting jersey next week? We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Did Furlong only play 40 because that was always the plan or because Ireland saw enough to give him the starting jersey next week? We'll see.

Minutes in the legs were desperately needed regardless.

I'd put good money on Porter starting and Furlong getting 25mins from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It would be an incredible slap in the face to Porter to give Furlong the jersey. Porter will start this week and after that it's game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Porter should start both matches getting minutes in the legs was just enough to get Furlong onto the bench. Furlong’s opportunity to start will come in Rome hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Porter has been one of our most consistent forwards and put in huge minutes in one of the most demanding positions, he will start, no way furlong is fully ready. He will be a finisher for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

With killers injury profile he will most likely pick up a knock mid week and Porter will end up benching as back up to healy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Conan will get a call up if he plays like he did yesterday. Huge effort and great physicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

What do ye think would happen if a player say stander or o mahony was announced to be heading to France next season during the 6 nations. Would they be replaced immediately or play out the remainder of the 6 nations??

With the French game in 2 weeks will we hear a few more rumours between now and then ??

What do ye think would happen if a player say stander or o mahony was announced to be heading to France next season during the 6 nations. Would they be replaced immediately or play out the remainder of the 6 nations??

With the French game in 2 weeks will we hear a few more rumours between now and then ??

Zebo is probably the precedent for this? Wasn’t included in the squads the season he was leaving.

• Advertisement

Zebo is probably the precedent for this? Wasn’t included in the squads the season he was leaving.

Nah, he was never really in favour anyway.

Madigan played a full 6N after his departure was announced.

Nah, he was never really in favour anyway.

Madigan played a full 6N after his departure was announced.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of Madigan's departure, but with regards Zebo, it's mentioned here from time to time that he wasn't in favour, but it's just not true tbh.

In his last season before his departure was announced, he started both games against the All-Blacks in the Autumn Internationals and played all but 6 minutes of the 6 Nations.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of Madigan's departure, but with regards Zebo, it's mentioned here from time to time that he wasn't in favour, but it's just not true tbh.

In his last season before his departure was announced, he started both games against the All-Blacks in the Autumn Internationals and played all but 6 minutes of the 6 Nations.

That's true, but he was never first choice in the way Stander or POM have been. He got all those minutes (at least partly) because we had very few alternatives. Fitzgerald had retired, Bowe was knackered out, Dave K was injured.

I don't know if it tells us what might happen if a CJ or Healy were to announce he was leaving.

Edit : btw I don't believe anyone is going to France. Certainly not Stander.

I see Ulster squad training with Ireland.
    Bit odd considering "The Bubble" "False Negatives" etc

https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1356219309253652480?s=20

edit: Surely this is THE best time to get rid of hashtagShoulderToShoulder:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

CMcsporty wrote: »
    I see Ulster squad training with Ireland.
    Bit odd considering "The Bubble" "False Negatives" etc

The "Bubble" thing is a nonsense they'll move people in and out as they see fit, we already saw that with Furlong playing the weekend.

Yea It certainly appears to be that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Tbf the provincial players are all getting tested at least weekly (and maybe twice weekly?) so hopefully there won't be any problems. If all the squads are being sensible I'm not sure it's an issue.

It seems a bit of an unnecessary risk though.
    Maybe PO'C putting his foot down and the need for full lineout and maul drills

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is that Andrew Brace training with them?

• Advertisement

Yes.
    Sexton v Brace extemporaneous speaking was also the scheduled entertainment for the night.

Advertisement