Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

What I'd pick

Healy
    Kelleher
    Porter
    Ryan
    Beirne
    CJ
    Connors
    Doris
    JGP
    Sexton
    Lowe
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Keenan

What I think AF will pick

Healy
    Herring
    Porter
    Henderson
    Ryan
    CJ
    POM
    Doris
    Murray
    Sexton
    Earls
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Keenan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Here fishy fishy fishy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

With POC now involved with the line-outs we might see new variations in the pack like Kelleher at 2 for instance. I think the backline picks itself with the only question being weather Farrell goes with Lowe or Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Doris and Roux gone back to their provinces for further medical assessment.

Coombes and Baird called into camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

mfceiling wrote: »

Just saw that....good for both of the youngsters to get a taste of the national squad, even if it's just for a week... they'll both be in.the setup on merit very soon imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭theVersatile

That opens up things in the back row. Ruddock straight in? POM back to six with Connors or VDF at seven? Few things you could do.

That opens up things in the back row. Ruddock straight in? POM back to six with Connors or VDF at seven? Few things you could do.

Stander, POM, Coombes... there's your dream team right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would imagine that VDF comes straight in. Connors was getting the nod in the autumn but I haven't seen enough from him since then to warrant continued selection there.

As good as Ruddock has been in recent months, I just don't think he's a test level player at the top end in terms of dynamism. I'd have no complaints if he does get the nod though as he has really earned it.

I would think our back row would really lack mobility with a Stander, POM and Ruddock selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think that’ll reshape the back row completely, something like ruddock, vdf, stander with pom on the bench

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Doris would be a huge loss

opens it up for a POM, Connors, CJ back row but would very much worry about the lack of dynamic carrying....

as much as id love to see Ruddock come in, i think the best he can hope for is a 20 shirt.

wales will most likely be wainwright, tipuric and faletau

• Advertisement

I would pick Will Connors at 7 and move POM to 6. One concern that has been eased somewhat is we now have a natural 7 on the field which was something I worried about. I rather VDF off the bench for impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Slightly worrying that both lads have been sent back to their provinces which isn't a great omen for their chances of being fit for the France game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

mfceiling wrote: »

I just wonder does this open the door for Beirne to come in at 6 with Henderson at lock. Having Henderson there would compensate for the loss of a ball carrier and lineout jumper. I like Beirne at 6 as it frees him up to be extra destructive and involved around the park without the responsibilities of lock duties. This would be my preferred option.

4-Henderson
    5-Ryan
    6-Beirne
    7-O'Mahony
    8-Stander

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Slightly worrying that both lads have been sent back to their provinces which isn't a great omen for their chances of being fit for the France game.

Could be the entire tournament. If they were going to be fit any time soon they'd rehab with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Doris would be a huge loss

opens it up for a POM, Connors, CJ back row but would very much worry about the lack of dynamic carrying....

as much as id love to see Ruddock come in, i think the best he can hope for is a 20 shirt.

wales will most likely be wainwright, tipuric and faletau

Lydiate ahead of Wainwright no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Doris could be done for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

TRC10 wrote: »
    I just wonder does this open the door for Beirne to come in at 6 with Henderson at lock. Having Henderson there would compensate for the loss of a ball carrier and lineout jumper. I like Beirne at 6 as it frees him up to be extra destructive and involved around the park without the responsibilities of lock duties. This would be my preferred option.

4-Henderson
    5-Ryan
    6-Beirne
    7-O'Mahony
    8-Stander
    This is what I'd go for too. It would be crazy to replace Dorris, our primary ball carrier with VDF/Connors.

But there's a question regarding Henderson match fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I'd have thought this was ruddock straight into the 15 no?

In the last 6 games Connors has been in the 23 5 times which would indicate to me he is slightly ahead of VDF in Farrell’s mind, he’s also the best 7 at playing the role Farrell wants his 7 to play so I think he edges it for now.

Hopefully Doris going back to Leinster is precautionary as their team of doctors will know what’s best for him, would be a huge loss if he was out for the rest of the tournament. Was our best player over the autumn period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Had dorris in my fantasy team as well.... Hope hes back fighting fit soon, cant be taking chances with this kind of thing.

nerd69 wrote: »

You're right..no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

nerd69 wrote: »

Would be a big surprise given his lack of favour the last few years.

Far more likely that VDF comes back in at 7 and POM moves back over to 6.

Would be nice to have a bit of ballast with Ruddock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Would be a big surprise given his lack of favour the last few years.

Far more likely that VDF comes back in at 7 and POM moves back over to 6.

Would be nice to have a bit of ballast with Ruddock though.

My thinking was Farrell has shown a like of ballast and ruddock's been in better form than he has been for some time. I'd like to see him in over vdf or connors tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Is Conan injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Is Conan injured?
    Don't think so, he won player of the match at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Is Conan injured?

Surprisingly not. He just hasn't had a significant amount of game time and, when he has, he hasn't looked like the player he was.

Last weekend was by far his best showing since the RWC (not that there have been many) but it comes too late to get back into the squad.

Coombes has been playing well and consistently. He has earned his call up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd go with Ruddock, Pom and Stander. Ruddock adds ballast and both he and Stander would carry a lot of ball. VDF on the bench. I rate VDF higher than Connors. I think he's a more complete player.
    I would like to see a Beirne, VDF and Stander back row also. Losing Doris is tough. He's a fine player and his concussion issues must dealt with properly. It is worrying that he's having these problems. He's had a couple of concussion issues over the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I'd go with Ruddock, Pom and Stander. Ruddock adds ballast and both he and Stander would carry a lot of ball. VDF on the bench. I rate VDF higher than Connors. I think he's a more complete player.
    I would like to see a Beirne, VDF and Stander back row also. Losing Doris is tough. He's a fine player and his concussion issues must dealt with properly. It is worrying that he's having these problems. He's had a couple of concussion issues over the last year.

It might depend on the opposition. France and England will be bigger, more physical teams and it might make sense to have add ballast against them in the form of Ruddock. A more mobile back row with Bernie, VDF or Connors might be a better fit in the Wales Match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Start POC.

Advertisement