Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

We need to counter Tipuric

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

It might depend on the opposition. France and England will be bigger, more physical teams and it might make sense to have add ballast against them in the form of Ruddock. A more mobile back row with Bernie, VDF or Connors might be a better fit in the Wales Match.

We didn’t seem to have much problem dealing with Frances physicality at all in Paris. We need to stop worrying about the opposition and focus on ourselves, picking your team soully to stop the opposition will only get us into trouble.

Unless we pick a back row physically bigger than our opposition than there’s really no point, would you rather try to match England physically but probably come up short or find weaknesses in the English pack and exploit them in a way we can over come the physicality? That’s what the u20s did for instance in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

VANG1 wrote: »
    We need to counter Tipuric

**** that. Wales need to counter us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I wonder will the IRFU rethink that if he comes off inside the first 20 mins against Wales
    But seriously, it's not a good sign for the current state of our flyhalf situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jesus help us if Sexton is the 10 at the next world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The issue for me isn't so much Sexton, it's Harry Byrne. If Sexton signs on for the next 2 years, surely that will hinder Byrne's development at Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

This could be the player version of the IRFU giving Deccie a contract before the 2011 world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bilston wrote: »
    The issue for me isn't so much Sexton, it's Harry Byrne. If Sexton signs on for the next 2 years, surely that will hinder Byrne's development at Leinster.

I see. Well, for me, the issue is very much Sexton, playing for Ireland, seemingly for ever.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The fact the IRFU are happy to give 2 years to a 35 year old Sexton is not exactly a vote of confidence in any of the alternative options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

This could be the player version of the IRFU giving Deccie a contract before the 2011 world cup

If it’s true!
    It surely can’t be.
    Unless he is taking a massive reduction e.g 1 years salary over 2 years.

I would have him exclusively as a bench option from this point on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

awec wrote: »
    The fact the IRFU are happy to give 2 years to a 35 year old Sexton is not exactly a vote of confidence in any of the alternative options.

That's cos they're all sh1t

No, of course they're not, but let's be honest. If Joey Carbery doesn't come back, and at a higher level than pre-injury, then we're relying on an uncapped guy to come through in the next two years and be the man. Harry Byrne is the only such prospect IMO but a long way to go.

The IRFU are no mugs when it comes to contracts. They know exactly what age Sexton is and how many miles he has on the clock.

The very same Irfu who let him go to Racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The IRFU would be absolutely crazy to offer Sexton a contract beyond this six nations.

Tell him to go find a contract in France if he wants to keep playing, let some French billionaire take the gamble on him.
    Not playing well enough and too old and injury prone.

That's cos they're all sh1t

No, of course they're not, but let's be honest. If Joey Carbery doesn't come back, and at a higher level than pre-injury, then we're relying on an uncapped guy to come through in the next two years and be the man. Harry Byrne is the only such prospect IMO but a long way to go.

The IRFU are no mugs when it comes to contracts. They know exactly what age Sexton is and how many miles he has on the clock.

Jack McGrath?

I think they'll regret giving Sexton so long. I doubt he will sign on for pennies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Jack McGrath?

I think they'll regret giving Sexton so long. I doubt he will sign on for pennies.

I think they may regret it financially, but that would only be the case if another player actually manages to take the jersey off him which is what we hope to see anyway.

As things stand none of the options are all that near to him frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

How much does gun-nut Qanon Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene look like John Cooney?

210127-marjorie-taylor-greene-jm-1600_f772dfea6a5d89a0fe96b936288c5809.fit-760w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »

Sexton won't be a problem for Harry Byrne at Leinster.

Sexton has massively reduced his playing time for Leinster in the last few years. He still appears for Ireland consistently. People talk about his injury record continually. He played all of last season's 6N and never came off injured including two games in the autumn.

In fact, he has more 6N starts than any Irish player in the past 5 years, I think. 23 starts from a possible 25.

In blue, he's regularly unavailable and it often occurs the week before a game where he has a niggle or tightness etc. If Harry Byrne wants consistent game time for Leinster at a higher level, he just needs to ensure he's ahead of his brother.

For Ireland? That's another story but I can't see Sexton lasting 2 more years regardless of his availability for Ireland. He's slowing down and, top dog or not, he needs to be phased out sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jack McGrath?

Doesn’t some of sexton’s wage come form private money? Denis o Brian or someone like that? So if he wouldn’t give the money if sexton left, then it’s might mean sexton is very cheap to Ireland.

Sexton came off injured v Wales in Autumn

He came into the 2019 6N off the back of yet another injury. It’s been downhill since.

Unless he’s prepared to take a significant salary reduction and role from the Irfu it makes no sense to keep him

He also came off injured v Scotland in 2019 6N

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    Sexton won't be a problem for Harry Byrne at Leinster.

Sexton has massively reduced his playing time for Leinster in the last few years. He still appears for Ireland consistently. People talk about his injury record continually. He played all of last season's 6N and never came off injured including two games in the autumn.

In fact, he has more 6N starts than any Irish player in the past 5 years, I think. 23 starts from a possible 25.

In blue, he's regularly unavailable and it often occurs the week before a game where he has a niggle or tightness etc. If Harry Byrne wants consistent game time for Leinster at a higher level, he just needs to ensure he's ahead of his brother.

For Ireland? That's another story but I can't see Sexton lasting 2 more years regardless of his availability for Ireland. He's slowing down and, top dog or not, he needs to be phased out sooner or later.

Stop being so rational Buer. This isn't the place for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

Sexton deserves a few years gratitude contract if he wants it.He is a national treasure ,IMO the greatest flyhalf for us since I started watching back in the 70's and perhaps ever.Crucial to all our great days for last 10 years .When you think of free money that gets handed out to politicans etc I would love to see Sexton get shown some appreciation for the pleasure he has brought the Irish Rugby public down the years .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I see. Well, for me, the issue is very much Sexton, playing for Ireland, seemingly for ever.

If he's the best man for the job then so be it. But by staying on and hogging up gametime that H.Byrne would otherwise get, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Right now there is no 10 in Ireland as good as Sexton and that's a fact, unfortunately the best young 10 playing regular Pro 14 plays for the same province as Sexton...thats the issue in my head.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think they may regret it financially, but that would only be the case if another player actually manages to take the jersey off him which is what we hope to see anyway.

As things stand none of the options are all that near to him frankly.

He's the best right now but things can go downhill very fast.

He'll be 37 or 38 when this contract is up, it's daft IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Buer wrote: »
    People talk about his injury record continually. He played all of last season's 6N and never came off injured including two games in the autumn.

I think it's been overblown in previous seasons, but it has become an increasingly regular issue this season, which is a worry for an ageing player.

I think he's been taken off injured in 4 out of his 6 total starts this season? In 3 of those games, it's been before the 30 minute mark (Wales, Connacht and Dragons).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Jack McGrath?

That's really unfair re McGrath. He signed his last contract at Leinster in early 2017. A few months later he was playing all three tests for the Lions. His problems didn't start for another year and a half after the Lions, right up to the end of 2018 he was still a legitimate rival to Healy. Wasn't bad business at all.

I don't think we should sign Sexton until 2023 either but if he's saying he won't sign a one year deal, what's the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I find I so hard that folks are so steadfast in their beliefs. But it's everyone for themselves. My opinion is that Farrell hasn't a clue and has developed Ireland into nothingness, which his predecessor already did. That said Farrell is even more conservative than Schmidt.

I listened to Eddie Jones this week and he was bang on. He said it how it was.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,595 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What's the definition of "nothingness"?

When they step into a field do they create a black hole which sucks all matter into it...

And if so, is that such a bad thing???

Surely the despair felt by the opposition by having to face such an impending doom of the Nothingness will have them quaking in their boots, especially when they see the immortal demonic realm master himself, Lord Sexton, enter the field, cloven footed, skin charred and smouldering, with eyes so dead and lifeless to gaze upon them instantly drives any person into insanity.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    I find I so hard that folks are so steadfast in their beliefs. But it's everyone for themselves. My opinion is that Farrell hasn't a clue and has developed Ireland into nothingness, which his predecessor already did. That said Farrell is even more conservative than Schmidt.

I listened to Eddie Jones this week and he was bang on. He said it how it was.

7 wins from 10 games.

11 new caps.

42 different players used.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Don't bother lads, it's not worth it....

Advertisement