Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,595 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    ....... There is no point in talking about one player over another player when the game plan is just trying to physically defeat the other team. .....

Rugby has been a game where you aim to "physically defeat" the opposition ever since Webb Ellis picked up the ball nearly 200 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

UAEguy2020 wrote: »

My main gripe is the back three, would prefer Keenan, Larmour, Lowe/Earls

Is that not what we're going with?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Yes it is. A broken record that keeps replaying the same tune. And thomond2006 it is hard to see that tune playing so strongly for so long. It has nothing to do with players, it has to do with a belief that I fundamentally disagree with

This reminds of me the Stewart Lee bit on Osama Bin Laden's death. "I can see what it looks like... I can feel what it feels like".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Dunno if posted but this is Thornley's possible team:
    IRELAND (possible) v WALES: Hugo Keenan, Keith Earls, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw, James Lowe; Johnny Sexton (capt), Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rob Herring, Andrew Porter, Tadhg Beirne, James Ryan, Peter O’Mahony, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rónan Kelleher, Dave Kilcoyne, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, Will Connors, Jamison Gibson-Park, Billy Burns, Jordan Larmour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

TRC10 wrote: »
    What I mean is that in all my years watching rugby, I've learned that the moment you write off Wales and don't give them a chance is the moment they deliver a massive performance. And that has me worried.

I think our level of confidence going into this game is completely unfounded after a very average year in 2020. It also worries me that everybody seems to be writing Wales off. I do believe this Wales team has a big performance in them and I've a strong feeling we'll see it on Sunday.

I don’t think anyone is writing them off, most of us on here would agree that this will likely be a close game and we all know the challenge awaiting us. Yes they have been pretty rubbish in 2020 but they still have a pretty good squad individually and I would never write a team like that off especially at home.

The reality is in the 2 games Ireland played Wales in 2020 Ireland won convincingly and there hasn’t really been much evidence to say that this will be any different come Sunday. From my perspective the main reason I’m not writing them off is I don’t trust Ireland at the moment and with this being on the road I’m even more uneasy about this match.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Is that not what we're going with?

The report is Larmour is on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

GT's shout:

IRELAND (possible) v WALES:
    Hugo Keenan, Keith Earls, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw, James Lowe; Johnny Sexton (capt), Conor Murray;
    Cian Healy, Rob Herring, Andrew Porter, Tadhg Beirne, James Ryan, Peter O’Mahony, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rónan Kelleher, Dave Kilcoyne, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, Will Connors, Jamison Gibson-Park, Billy Burns, Jordan Larmour.

The one thing you'd say about that squad is that the bench has plenty of punch...Kelleher, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Henderson and Larmour will all have important roles to play...if that is in fact the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭theVersatile

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/02/05/ireland-team-named-for-wales-as-healy-makes-50th-championship-appearance/

15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 6 caps
    14. Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 88 caps
    13. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 30 caps
    12. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 47 caps
    11. James Lowe (Leinster) 2 caps
    10. Jonathan Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 95 caps Captain
    9. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 87 caps
    1. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 104 caps
    2. Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 16 caps
    3. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 32 caps
    4. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 17 caps
    5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 32 caps
    6. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 73 caps
    7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 28 caps
    8. CJ Stander (Munster/Shannon) 46 caps

Replacements

16. Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 6 caps
    17. Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 39 caps
    18. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 44 caps
    19. Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 58 caps
    20. Will Connors (Leinster/UCD) 5 caps
    21. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 5 caps
    22. Billy Burns (Ulster) 3 caps
    23. Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 24 caps

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

Great backline, with Ringrose and Lowe in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

bilston wrote: »
    The one thing you'd say about that squad is that the bench has plenty of punch...Kelleher, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Henderson and Larmour will all have important roles to play...if that is in fact the 23.

Yeah was thinking the same, if that bench fire when they get on they could really have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Decent chance against what's likely to be quite a demotivated, piecemeal Welsh team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

With Williams, Adams and supposedly Jonathan Davies all out, I can see us getting a lot of joy in the back line.

If we can get our set piece right, I'd be confident of us getting the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Assuming North is at 13 as widely reported that's a huge advantage to Ireland.

North is an average 13 at best and is lucky to be in the squad at all. I can see Garry having him in his pocket and I think there is great scope to get outside him.

... and now the obligatory I hope this doesn't backfire on me comment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yeah - let's hope POC has made a difference. If not, we've still our best lineout caller to spring off the bench.

Real pity Doris is missing from that team but there is enough there to beat Wales based on their recent form. Still a good Welsh outfit if they've gotten their act together but a game I think we can win.

Lowe back in without recent game time confirms where he stands in the pecking order as far as I'm concerned. Larmour was too unsure against Munster to start but has an opportunity to build some confidence off the bench.

Happy with the pack otherwise and there is a good deal of impact off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I think Lowe was selected to really add some punch. That back-line with Larmour would be very lightweight, actually the pack is quite small/lightweight too, probably the smallest we've put out in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I don’t think anyone is writing them off, most of us on here would agree that this will likely be a close game and we all know the challenge awaiting us. Yes they have been pretty rubbish in 2020 but they still have a pretty good squad individually and I would never write a team like that off especially at home.

The reality is in the 2 games Ireland played Wales in 2020 Ireland won convincingly
    and there hasn’t really been much evidence to say that this will be any different come Sunday. From my perspective the main reason I’m not writing them off is I don’t trust Ireland at the moment and with this being on the road I’m even more uneasy about this match.

Very different circumstances, it has to he said. Game 1 was literally the 2nd game of the Pivac era and in Dublin. And the 2nd was also in Dublin in a Mickey mouse tournament with both teams not fielding their strongest XVs.

This game will have been in their minds for months and they'll see it as a great opportunity to take what would be a huge scalp for them and get back on track. Added to that, its back in the millennium which is huge for them. This is Wales' biggest game since the RWC semi final and my god will they be up for it. Make no mistake, this is a very tricky game for us.

EtdfJ_kXIAISixi?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

TRC10 wrote: »
    Very different circumstances, it has to he said. Game 1 was literally the 2nd game of the Pivac era and in Dublin. And the 2nd was also in Dublin in a Mickey mouse tournament with both teams not fielding their strongest XVs.

This game will have been in their minds for months and they'll see it as a great opportunity to take what would be a huge scalp for them and get back on track. Added to that, its back in the millennium which is huge for them. This is Wales' biggest game since the RWC semi final and my god will they be up for it. Make no mistake, this is a very tricky game for us.

Yeah but if anything Wales have gotten worse since that game, atleast then Wales still had all the confidence from a successful 2019 still intact. And if anything Ireland were the ones under strength for the autumn nations cup fixture whereas Wales fielded their best side.

It’s tricky all right but the situation for Wales isn’t what it used to be as without Gatland and Edwards they aren’t the same work rate wise which is a problem when you consider their regional game, the work rate bridged the gap. The reality is Wales only beat Italy and Georgia in 2020 and Ireland won comfortably in both matches v Wales last year so ireland have to start favorites but it will be very tricky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We should be well able to have a cut off that back line. If we even just match them up front then our back line and bench should have the winning of the game.

Average age of each of the starting XVs in Round 1

Italy-24.5
    France-25.6
    Scotland-26.3
    England-27.1
    Wales-28.6
    Ireland-28.9

In terms of head to head:

Front row: Ireland
    Second row: Ireland (would be a draw only I don't think AWJ is fit)
    Backrow: Draw - I think Lydiate and Tips are super players and it has a great balance to it
    Half backs - Wales
    Centers - Ireland
    Back 3 - Ireland

theres a lot of mileage in that welsh back row ..... 94 years between them

Lydiate could find the pace of test rugby hard as he hasnt played a test level game in 27 months

In terms of head to head:

Front row: Ireland
    Second row: Ireland (would be a draw only I don't think AWJ is fit)
    Backrow: Draw - I think Lydiate and Tips are super players and it had a great balance to it
    Half backs - Wales
    Centers - Ireland
    Back 3 - Ireland

Wales don’t win the half backs battle in a month of Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I can see a few yellow cards in this game...it's going to be feisty

Wales don’t win the half backs battle in a month of Sunday!

Tomas Williams is an unbelievably good player for me and Biggar is so consistent and has a strong all around game

Was a tough call.

Tomas Williams is an unbelievably good player for me and Biggar is so consistent and has a strong all around game

Was a tough call.

True, still not as good as Murray or Sexton on form .

Was a tough call.

id tend to agree with you.... the closest id call it is a draw..
    but player to player currently id have Williams ahead of murray (much more of a ball in hand threat and his tempo is certainly higher than murrays) and Biggar slightly ahead of sexton.

• Advertisement

Was a tough call.

Tomos Williams' inability to tackle cost Wales a place in the World Cup Final

Advertisement