Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I would love to see how McCloskey goes at 12. Its the perfect opportunity now for Ireland to see how he would manage in this system and up against that rush Bok defense.

Hume would be the logical choice to slot into the bench. Moore onto A's bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I wonder would JOB be the person to get the bench slot for the SA game.

Can cover wing fb and centre. Offers the most versatility.

Might be the least amount of disruption..

Calvin Nash is currently on the bench for the A's he can slot straight in for JOB and then Moore to the bench for the A's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Looks like JOB is training with the first team today. So could see him at 23 tomorrow

Nash at 14 and Moore at 23 today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

O'Brien may make more sense i suppose. He's also got that left footed kicking option. Something Ireland really favour. In fact there is no outstanding kicking option, like Lowe, in the backfield. He will be badly missed v's SA.

Not convinced JOB is up to this level myself. But i said the same about Keenan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

Well JOB hasnt played at this level yet so its impossible to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's now confirmed that Henshaw is out and McCloskey starts. JOB moves to 23.

Major blow for Ireland. McCloskey is good by Henshaw is world class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just to mention something I looked up that I found interesting, the All Blacks XV team was not submitted by the NZRU to World Rugby as their designated second team, so they currently have no official second team, they said it was so they wouldn’t “capture” players unnecessarily ahead of RWC23 that could otherwise want to represent other countries such as Samoa. Fair play to them for that.

So Ireland A v All Blacks XV is not a proper “capture” fixture, no player for either squad will be “captured” through this fixture.

I’m not sure would it make any difference to the selected players for the ABXV travelling squad if it were a proper “capture” team.

They’re not New Zealand A either, their official name is the “All Blacks XV” team. Though it is practically their A team really, though I wouldn’t know their players well enough to say if they are missing guys that would otherwise be on a true A team.

• Administrators Posts: 53,828 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A well deserved opportunity for McCloskey, who needs to ensure he grabs it with both hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

In some ways i'm actually somewhat happy to see a few late, but hopefully minor, knocks slip in - its a great opportunity to see how we handle the core team with a few swap outs, in a way that's closer to Six Nations/WC conditions than an intentional swap out of a first team player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Henshaw is a big loss but no harm getting a proper look at McCloskey in a full strength team against good opposition.

Could be huge for JOB too.

• Advertisement

Definitely think he has the ability at international level, just for some reason Schmidt didn’t select him as his first choice 12.

Plus, with him at 12 it would open up an interesting debate for the best player to partner him at 13 between Henshaw/Aki/Ringrose/Hume.

Also agree with a few other posters that said Hawkshaw wouldn’t be out of place at 12 in the A Team.

Im not as worried with McCloskey in when he has Sexton & Ringrose either side of him. I definitely don't think he'll be out of his depth, the question is will be be able to make an impact, this is his golden chance potentially get himself in that elite Centre group discussion. I like JOB being in the 23 as he brings that versatility, you could literally slot him anywhere without someone moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This encounter will be ideal for us. Henshaw injured, JGP on the bench and JOB in the 23. Good enough as far as disruption goes. I hope McCloskey goes well. He's finally getting a chance at top level international rugby.

Will we be able to play our game? The fast ruck and speed off the ruck is crucial for us. I doubt that we can play this style. Our pack is not ideal for this match, imo. I feel the back row is unbalanced and light.

I think the boks by 7.

You do realise there is more to rugby than just size right?

just for some reason Schmidt didn’t select him as his first choice 12.

The "some reason" is that we have two top class 12s in Henshaw and Aki who are a step up, and to be honest, McCloskey's form has not been as consistent as he'd like.

Whether Schmidt's apparent preference for Chris Farrell over McCloskey was justified, well that's another question.

In my opinion, McCloskey is as good as those two at 12, he's bigger and more powerful and has longer arms for offloads, both of Aki and Henshaw have been superb when selected so it's hard to make the case for McCloskey as there's no evidence except opinion, the nearest we have is the recent tour to New Zealand, one stand-out memory was a fizzing 20 metre pass to the edge for a try assist in the corner that was sublime.

It's mentioned and video clip shown on the following link:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Farrell himself seemed to have a preference for Chris Farrell over McCloskey too in his early days, I think.

(Tho with one being a 12 and the other a 13, there’s more going on than just a straight comparison too, to be fair).

• Administrators Posts: 53,828 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tomorrow is either going to be an Andrew-Trimble-esque late career Ireland revival for McCloskey, or it's going to be the end of his Ireland career.

If he puts in a good performance there's no reason why he can't earn many more caps and even make the World Cup. If he's poor, he's probably done.

Big day for him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

this is mccloskys biggest challenge of his career yet.

so far internationally he hasn't faced a tier one side, and of all sides to face the bokke have the best defense currently to counteract his USPs.

they will double man tackle if he crashes off first phase and target the ball. His best chance to shine will be in broken play when his ability to pick the right decision will be paramount. i dont want to see him constantly taking contact and trying to throw offloads if the right decision is draw and pass.

hes 2 years younger than bundee, so a top level performance here could very well draw him level in Farrells eyes with aki.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think it’d take a huge performance to draw him level with Aki, tbh. Aki has a lot of credit in the bank. (The biggest case against him at the moment might be his own discipline).

• Advertisement

If anything double tackling is what we want the Boks to do as it will leave extra space out wide for us pull back a pass to the rest of the outside backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Delighted for McCloskey, he deserves this, albeit it has come at a cost in Henshaw's case.

A lot of pressure on him as well as this is his big chance. The harsh reality is he may not get another if it doesn't go well. That's because we have so many options. Even if the D'Arcy/BOD days there were probably more opportunities as there wasn't the depth we have now.

Exactly, so the decisions stuart makes with ball in hand will be paramount, does he take the contact or does he throw the option?

its a fascinating aspect of the game ill be watching closely

hes 2 years younger than bundee

Realistically, age only matters if it means a player won't make it the RWC, which Aki definitely will.

At this point, McCloskey's goal is to put himself ahead of Hume and then take it from there.

the point being that Hume is a lot younger than Aki, so McCloskey is looking to replace Aki in the ireland squad, and not hume, in the longer term. i never mentioned RWC 23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'd have put Hume on the bench. Wouldn't be comfortable with JOB covering 13 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'd be more comfortable with JOB covering centre than with McCloskey covering wing.

Neither is ideal but backline covering rarely is.

JOB can easily cover 11,14 and 15, especially considering keenan is just back from injury and has no match time in his legs.... plus hume himself has very few minutes this season due to his own injury woes*

edit: * only 1 80 min performance versus munster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

To be fair he got 40 minutes against England in the 6N a few years ago. Got hooked at half time though.

• Advertisement

jeez id forgotten that !!

that was his irish debut afair

6 years ago!

Advertisement