Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Ireland should be targeting a win against the English team

Some Yoke wrote: »

Ireland should be targeting wins against Wales, France, England, Scotland and Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

aloooof wrote: »
    You should keep a count of how many times you don’t get an answer, YR. Double figures before the end of the week, I'd say.

I wish people would cop on to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Well yes, obviously.

No chance England play that badly against us. Think they've saved their best performances for us the last few years, as well as the WC quarter final Vs New Zealand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Well yes, obviously.

No chance England play that badly against us. Think they've saved their best performances for us the last few years, as well as the WC quarter final Vs New Zealand.

Semi-Final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Semi-Final

Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

aloooof wrote: »
    You should keep a count of how many times you don’t get an answer, YR. Double figures before the end of the week, I'd say.

Or everyone could stop engaging with him and leave him at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Semi-Final

Irish people struggle to think past a quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think that is an exceptionally astute tactical approach that would pay dividends if it was adopted successfully. Hopefully the powers that be in the Irish team are on your wavelength and they advocate for such an approach.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Irish people struggle to think past a quarter final.

Irish players struggle to get past one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Looking a bit ahead, but I wonder if there's scope to make a few callups for the squad to the Italy game. From those currently in the squad, perhaps Casey and Daly can start. I think there would be great value in starting Casey alongside Sexton. I suppose it will depend on how the first two games go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

championship blown open , tomorrow is 50-50 bigtime, if fans were there you would have to fancy wales on their form against us. but a welsh win tomorrow really is a disaster for farrell he will feel the heat big time, defeat tomorrow, france will beat us next week , a win and its on. i think scotland away will be a stough as england at home. just dont have confidence in ireland the last 2 years. i would bet the house on sexton gone after 60 mins tomorrow

Will he cry if he gets substituted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Maybe a bold prediction but I think the coach that loses tomorrow won't survive the year.

This game feels like a pivotal moment for Farrell given how weak Wales have looked in recent times, lose this and Ireland will probably be favoured to only win 1 game this year against Italy. 5th place finishes are typically a sackable offence as we've seen in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Will he cry if he gets substituted?

oh probably whinge about something all right. think this will be his last year in a green jersey anyway. he cam be a hard watch at times, not the most endearing of players. hes as liable to be a matchwinner as he is to be the weakest link tomorrow. time to be getting a new out half pairing in place for world cup anyway, or do IRFU even care about it given the draw we got?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That's some weird series of posts, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Can't fault the individual effort from a lot of the players. Thought Beirne, Henshaw, Keenan and Ringrose were excellent. Ringrose made a bad error for the Welsh try but made up for it near the end. Got us the ground we needed to kick to the corner and potentially win the game.

Then there were those who weren't at the races like Murray, Sexton and Earls. We've enough quality out wide that Earls can be replaced easily enough. But these two half backs are so pivotal to the way we play that they won't be dropped despite them playing like drains.

Our execution and discipline has been poor since 2019 under Schmidt, but it hasn't improved at all under a new coaching ticket. In Joe's last year the decline set in, but if hasn't been arrested since then. A lot of the time a side that concedes many penalties is one that is poorly coached. We look exactly that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Clegg wrote: »
    Can't fault the individual effort from a lot of the players. Thought Beirne, Henshaw, Keenan and Ringrose were excellent. Ringrose made a bad error for the Welsh try but made up for it near the end. Got us the ground we needed to kick to the corner and potentially win the game.

Then there were those who weren't at the races like Murray, Sexton and Earls. We've enough quality out wide that Earls can be replaced easily enough. But these two half backs are so pivotal to the way we play that they won't be dropped despite them playing like drains.

Our execution and discipline has been poor since 2019 under Schmidt, but it hasn't improved at all under a new coaching ticket. In Joe's last year the decline set in, but if hasn't been arrested since then. A lot of the time a side that conceded many penalties is one that is poorly coached. We look exactly that right now.

Henderson and Kilcoyne were good too I thought.

I'd like to see us go with Casey at 9.

Ruddock Connors Stander backrow

So the positives:

Our breakdown and lineout (two biggest issues in the Autumn) look a lot more assured.

Hugo Keenan nailed on Irish fullback now. Beirne stepped up very well and was impactful in defence, attack and at the lineout. Ringrose, Henshaw both went well bar one bad decision from Ringrose which led to a try. Healy was excellent, Herring had a largely good game, Furlong looked athletic off the bench and Porter had a huge 50 minutes.

Sexton played well but was completely out cold when he hit Tipuric's knee and will be out a while I reckon. Lowe had a mixed bag but overall went well under difficult circumstances.

Henderson / Kilcoyne both top drawer off the bench. Kelleher made plenty of impact too.

The not great:

VDF wasn't at the races for half that game. Earls in the space of two minutes handed the game to Wales. He didn't offer a huge amount in attack and if his experience isn't bringing value on the pitch then he shouldn't be picked.

Ryan will be in a race against time to be available against France.

The awful

There is no doubt in my mind that we would have won that by a score or more had O'Mahony not gotten himself dismissed. It was an unbelievably stupid offence with no mitigating circumstances and he really should be ashamed of himself.

Burns came on in very difficult circumstances but to concentrate so many awful errors and executions into a very short space of time will make it very hard to start him next week against France.

Murray had a ponderous, indecisive game and his usually excellent kicking cost us repeatedly. He made so many bad decisions for such an experienced player and I feel we're back to square one here not knowing who should be starting.

We've a lot of hurt players, confidence will be in the dog house and France are looking sh1t hot. Absolutely terrible start to the tournament and will be hard for us to turn things around.

Wales were absolutely dire - they are a shocking team and will take nothing from today. O'Mahony single handedly extended Pivac's international coaching career but they'll need to make a change.

Farrell could also now be in trouble to be honest. Not entirely fair on him but at the same time we had no shape when Sexton went off and I wonder now who is actually coaching this team.

Bad, bad day at the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wasn't a stellar performance but honestly didn't think we played too bad considering we were a man down for 65 minutes.

Next week has the potential to be a bit of a disaster though, will be interesting to see what the call is at 10 if Sexton's still out and after Billy's 10 minutes were spotted with a few howlers under the kosh.

• Advertisement

If Ryan is ok to play next week I hope we partner up himself and Henderson in the row and move Beirne to blindside. Gets our three best forwards on the pitch. It's a shame Ryan went off as he was having a strong game.

Wasn't a stellar performance but honestly didn't think we played too bad considering we were a man down for 65 minutes.

Next week has the potential to be a bit of a disaster though, will be interesting to see what the call is at 10 if Sexton's still out and after Billy's 10 minutes were spotted with a few howlers under the kosh.

Burns was terrible. He's brought plenty of value to Ulster and seems like an incredibly sound character but his passing, decision making and general execution were worryingly bad. We had no shape up front albeit I think the pack was spent at that stage as Park spent half his time in the breakdown, but there was little connect between what Burns was doing and what our forwards were expecting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Think that’s a pretty good summary Venj. I was happy with a lot of aspects of the performance actually and thought we looked strong in attack. But there were too many mistakes (not helped by having to play with 14 and the ensuing fatigue but some nonetheless unacceptable).

Great ruck work and some more movement of the forwards in attack then we’ve seen of late. Whoever starts at 10 next week will have a big chance to push his case. I assume it’ll be Byrne with Burns on the bench but still expect neither to be the long term solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Very disappointing. I was I thought we would win this then lose to france and England. Could be 3 losses now.
    If Scotland can stay injury free then we could be in trouble.
    PoM has extended Pivacs reign and possibly shortened Farrell's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

So the positives:

Our breakdown and lineout (two biggest issues in the Autumn) look a lot more assured.

Hugo Keenan nailed on Irish fullback now. Beirne stepped up very well and was impactful in defence, attack and at the lineout. Ringrose, Henshaw both went well bar one bad decision from Ringrose which led to a try. Healy was excellent, Herring had a largely good game, Furlong looked athletic off the bench and Porter had a huge 50 minutes.

Sexton played well but was completely out cold when he hit Tipuric's knee and will be out a while I reckon. Lowe had a mixed bag but overall went well under difficult circumstances.

Henderson / Kilcoyne both top drawer off the bench. Kelleher made plenty of impact too.

The not great:

VDF wasn't at the races for half that game. Earls in the space of two minutes handed the game to Wales. He didn't offer a huge amount in attack and if his experience isn't bringing value on the pitch then he shouldn't be picked.

The awful

There is no doubt in my mind that we would have won that by a score or more had O'Mahony not gotten himself dismissed. It was an unbelievably stupid offence with no mitigating circumstances and he really should be ashamed of himself.

Burns came on in very difficult circumstances but to concentrate so many awful errors and executions into a very short space of time will make it very hard to start him next week against France.

We've a lot of hurt players, confidence will be in the dog house and France are looking sh1t hot. Absolutely terrible start to the tournament and will be hard for us to turn things around.

Wales were absolutely dire - they are a shocking team and will take nothing from today. O'Mahony single handedly extended Pivac's international coaching career but they'll need to make a change.

Farrell could also now be in trouble to be honest. Not entirely fair on him but at the same time we had no shape when Sexton went off and I wonder now who is actually coaching this team.

Good to read this amongst the clueless, bitter dross on here this afternoon. I'd be a bit harsher on Lowe, other than that, I'd agree. Amazed at Furlong's return. Thought Henderson and Beirne worked surprisingly well together.

Our setpieces looked much better, but I'd into know if that's on us or Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

So the positives:

The not great:

The awful

Murray had a ponderous, indecisive game and his usually excellent kicking cost us repeatedly. He made so many bad decisions for such an experienced player and I feel we're back to square one here not knowing who should be starting.

Would agree with a lot of that.
    Think you should be harsher on Lowe who was very mixed. Farrell does have lot of work to do but we dont exactly have replacements ready so what can you do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Given the circumstances, I thought we did very well.

Some really good performances in there.

Burns should never play for Ireland again though.

Lowe could be a very potent attacking threat if coached and used correctly. Johnny May was considered a liability for years until he was moulded into one of the best wings on the planet. Unfortunately there's very little evidence of effective coaching in this side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

think POM and Earls for chop,Beirne was immense.wold leave him and bring in ruddock,connors was visible so might start with him instead of VDF.Henshaw immense.thought Murray was ok.Played some decent Rugby and but for a few crucial mistakes we wud have won.Wouldnt be too pessimistic about France,we can bounce back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Kilcoyne
    Herring
    Porter
    Ryan
    Beirne
    Ruddock
    Connors
    Stander
    Casey
    Byrne
    Lowe
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Keenan

We need to start dropping guys who just are not delivering.

Murray Sexton Earls were crap today

Advertisement