Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Lot to like about that selection.

Giving O'Brien a start at 15 is smart. Keenan is world class, but we needed to see someone else. Jimmy showed last week that he's at this level and 15 is his best position. He's a very natural footballer, handy left boot, good footwork, decent speed and great hands. I think he'll really suit how we play. Huge blow for Lowry though.

I'm glad they've stuck with Baloucoune. I think he was very good last week. Hopefully he gets a bit more space this week.

Carbery starting is logical.

I'm pleased to see Loughman get a start. We need another option at LH. A good game could see him move ahead of Healy.

Timoney played below himself for the 'A' team but he's an excellent player. Really excited to see what he can do in that backrow.

I'm happy they haven't made 15 changes. Because that often leads to really poor performances. They've kept a lot of 1st choice guys in there with a sprinkling of fringe players, which is definitely the way to go for these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Would have like to see Penny get a shot. He's a better player than Timoney who can count himself lucky.

Lowry unlucky and the better rugby player but its clear that JOB is seen as both versatile and somewhat like for like with Keenan.

all in all good mix there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I like that team. I think we could see a really good performance. Doris at 6 with Conan at 8. Very good dynamic backrow. Timoney will be fine! He's a damn good player and has some serious wheels. It's time for Zoolander to shyte or make way for someone else to shyte. Big outing needed for JC.

Congratulations to Loughman and Prendergast. Very much deserved. JOB with his versatility is looking like a bolter. Henderson must not be ready. I reckon He's in the xxiii for the Oz game. Another game for Baloucoune, who I thought was decent last week.

I hope we gel and put in a good performance. Some of these boys are legit candidates to go to France next year. I would say that Treadwell is also in a really good position. He's done well these last few months. its unfortunate that Ahern and Joe McCarthy are injured but, that's the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Yep that doesn't look good for Lowry starting for Ireland this side of the WC. Or Stockdale, with Hansen swapping to 11. Larmour is also probably going to struggle to get another game with O'Brien's progression and Baloucoune getting the 14 jersey.

It'll be interesting to see when JOB is going to play FB again considering he's now going to be in the Ireland squads. JOB and Larmour will be vying for the last slot in the back three in Leinster at 14.

Looking at the wider fringes, I feel Haley is not seen as an option. He's a very good player and I think he could do a good job. What about Addison? Has he played his final match in green? Others like Shane Daly and Lowry are not seen as viable options. Lowry is just too small. Daly is adaptable and plays multiple positions. He's obviously behind JOB. Hume is still got a shout. But he needs injuries to help his cause. In the forwards it's hard to see anyone pushing ahead of the incumbents. Loose head is a weakness but, Loughman could be a good shout. 2nd row is set. There's nobody that will usurp the regular lads and Treadwell is locked in as the next up.

I would think that Doak is a possibility for the world cup. It's going to be JGP and 2 others. Murray likely being 1 and Casey, Blade or maybe Doak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah, when you consider that Lowe, Earls, Conway and Larmour are all out and will presumably be back for the 6N, it very well might be the case that players have already missed the boat for the RWC.

I wouldn't say Treadwell is locked in; I think we'd have seen more of Joe McCarthy or Tom Ahern this series if either were fit. Treadwell has a big chance though to push further ahead on Saturday.

On Will Addison, he hasn't played any rugby in a year. He's a really talented player, and versatile, but it's going to be very hard for him to make it back for a RWC.

Hume will be really disappointed, and needs to find a bit of form.

A lot of the squad has a settled-ish feel to it, but there will inevitably be some injuries which will give guys a chance to impress between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There will be either 5 or 6 back 3 players.

Barring injuries I feel Hansen Lowe and Keenan are locked in.

I think JOB can lock himself in because of his ability to cover so many positions.

Then Baloucoune is in pole position for one of the remaining spots but not quite locked in.

But it will be one or two from Baloucoune Conway Earls or Stockdale with Haley Daly Addison and Lowry as outside chances.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lowe rather than Lowry I take it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would've liked to have seen Osbourne make the bench instead of Ringrose. Shame that the WC will prob come too soon for him to make a strong push. Good team all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I think we could see Garry Wingrose at some stage on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

think haley has been the second best ireland eligible 15 for the last few seasons tbh. pretty much only plays 15 though so less versatile

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

(Don't draw it on yourself is my advice, TRC....)

But he's now the 5th centre Farrell has put in the 23 jersey.

I think thats Lowry. But he's only getting a slot now if something happens to Keenan just before WC. He will be the only other squad player who will have been playing at FB for their province. Hayley is just not on this team's radar.

Back three 'depth chart' for RWC*

*Based on the NZ, SA & this Fiji selection

15 Keenan(1), O'Brien (5), Carbery, Hansen, Lowe, Lowry, Larmour or Conway

14.Hansen (3), Baloucoune (4), O'Brien, Conway or Earls or Larmour, Ringrose

11.Lowe (2), Hansen, O'Brien, Earls, Stockdale

If Farrell picks a 6th back three player I think he'll be selecting from Conway, Larmour or Earls

Earls is currently on 98 caps. It's harsh to say but I dont think he deserves to get back in ahead of the current incumbents. Yet it would great to see him reach 100 caps and I'm convinced Farrell is going to give him every opportunity to reach the century before or even at the RWC.

As good as Karmour is and he is superb, I can't see him make it. He's not as rounded as the others. In fact, his weakness under the high ball probably will exclude him. At fb he's decent. He wouldn't be as good as Haley or Lowry, imo. His positioning is just ok and then there's the high ball. He's the beat ball carrier on the squad and he has that X factor in multiples. But the negatives outweigh the positives.

Oops.... Larmour

i think haley is a better overall, if less spectacular, 15 than lowry, but he seems to be behind him and others in the pecking order

i know its based on current availability but id hope conway would be ahead of hansen and lowe at 15. much as he hasnt played there in a good while at this stage, i wouldnt be convinced by hansen or lowe there at all

Any word yet what we are doing for rugby world cup warm ups.

We have done 4 games before with only a small number of players actually going to the world cup playing in the first few. That would be Earl's best chance to get to 100 caps and not be a repeat Peter Stringer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

We have 2 confirmed and both are at home so i imagine we'll have at least 1 more. Italy and England at home and theyre 2 weeks apart..

• Advertisement

We’ll have to agree to disagree on Hayley!

What i showed in BOLD are the lads who will get picked in the WC squad & the positions they can cover during the tournament.

e.g. Keenan gets a knock in match or day before and O’Brien, Carbery, Lowe and Hansen can cover FB

If Keenan was subsequently ruled out of the rest of the competition you get to call up a replacement. That would be Lowry.

if everyone mentioned is fit and available i dont think balacounce gets in the squad tbh, o brien would depend on how many centres/half backs are picked as his ability to cover different positions might be helpful. unless form changes massively in the meantime, i think conway has enough credit in the bank to be ahead of RB. i wonder if lowe and hansen will still be in form come rwc time though

if there is only one out and out 15 in the squad as i think there will be, id have conway in just as emergency 15 cover. id be very worried if carbery, lowe or hansen had to step in at 15 against a decent team

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't think we'll have any out and out 15s.

Fair point on Conway v Baloucoune

Conway has missed allot of rugby. He’ll have to get back up to speed first at Munster.

If Baloucoune goes well v Fiji and Aus I don’t see how Conway can get the 14 jersey back for 6N.

I think if Baloucoune gets a couple of more opportunities he'll not only make the squad, he'll make that 14 shirt his own. Conway has been a brilliant servant for years, and is probably one of our very best defensive wingers over the past few years. That said, we just don't have guys in our backline with the incredible speed and athleticism Baloucoune gives us. He's makes us so much more dangerous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There's also the possibility that neither of them will be in the 14 jersey, if Lowe reclaims the 11 and Hansen moves across.

I'd like to see Baloucoune get a run at the Wallabies, he had a mixed game against SA and not many chances in attack.

Fiji Team

Forwards

• 1 Eroni Mawi
    • 2 Sam Matavesi
    • 3 Manasa Saulo
    • 4 Isoa Nasilasila
    • 5 Ratu Leone Rotuisolia
    • 6 Albert Tuisue
    • 7 Levani Botia
    • 8 Viliame Mata

Backs

• 9 Frank Lomani
    • 10 Teti Tela
    • 11 Vinaya Habosi
    • 12 Kalaveti Ravouvou
    • 13 Waisea Nayacalevu (Captain)
    • 14 Jiuta Wainiqolo
    • 15 Setareki Tuicuvu

Replacements

• 16 Mesulame Dolokoto
    • 17 Livai Natave
    • 18 Lee-Roy Atalifo
    • 19 Apisalome Ratuniyarawa
    • 20 John Dyer
    • 21 Simione Kuruvoli
    • 22 Ben Volavola
    • 23 Adrea Cocagi

• Advertisement

Yes and that's probably whats going to happen unless Baloucoune rips it up tomorrow and has a good run out v Aus

Hansen & Lowe are prob the two best wingers in the squad at 'heads up rugby'

Advertisement