Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

I hope they dont forget to mention that France are hosting the RWC, the commentator's and pundits haven't mentioned it in a long time to the point I almost forgot...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

19 fly Half's??

Wtf....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

And on top of VDF Sheehan should win breakout player of the year award, although it appears Capuzzo is the more fashionable choice. And lets be honest, if Capuzzo didn't play at the weekend would be have even been nominated?

Also funny to see the Welsh on twitter already making up conspiracies about the IRFU if Sheehan wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Theres a certain bias towards goal kickers in awarding the prize imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Should be VDF. Best player I saw this year. Aldritt should have been nominated. Am is class but, he's missed so much rugby.

On Nash being retained in the squad maybe he's getting a look this week? Does he play fb?

I hope we don't go full strenght. A run out for fringe type players would benifit us down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

VDF should get it... phenomenal year... has it been announced yet?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

He really wasn't anywhere near outstanding enough in the RC to warrant nomination, it's bizarre tbh. Wit Savea not nominated, it should be Josh, imo. Dupont hasn't been as good this year as he was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ross Byrne has joined up with the squad. Not a good sign for Sexton being fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

If Sexton is out, I really hope we start Crowley.

• Advertisement

I'd say that's a given. He's been training with the squad for a lot longer and he got gametime at the weekend. Would be very surprised if Byrne started ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Hopefully it's just a precaution against relapse or late hamstring tweaks. Can't be in a situation where Crowley is starting and Lowry is wearing 22.

I was going to say that JOB regularly plays outhalf in training for Leinster.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/2022/11/11/jimmy-obrien-the-most-versatile-irish-player-around/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's a public vote and Ireland have two nominees in each category so the Irish vote will be split which counts against the Irish players I think.

I'd be voting for Sheehan and VDF but I suspect it will go to Capuozzo and DuPont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

I'm a big advocate of Coombes but he was poor v NZ XV and has paid the price. He was fine against the SA XV for Munster but he hasn't regained his form of last season before he was injured. Deegan has overtaken him. Coombes has the advantage though of being Munster's first choice at no.8. Deegan will have to fight hard at Leinster to start the big games, although he's pushing Conan hard as Conan also has lost his form. It's a straight out battle between Deegan and Coombes for a place on the plane to France next year. Will be an interesting battle.

Coombes has the advantage though of being Munster's first choice at no.8. Deegan will have to fight hard at Leinster to start the big games

This is very true and I've said the exact same thing on here before. If the Leinster management had to name their pecking order at 8 right now I think Deegan would be 3rd. I think his best chance is to keep improving, try to overtake Conan, and Leinster end up with a Deegan/VdF/Doris backrow but I am not sure how close that is. Coombes is pretty much guaranteed to start every significant game Munster have this season so it's a huge benefit he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Conan's form hasn't been great. I don't think he's playing poorly, but rather just isn't at the level he was in 2021. He has a lot of credit in the bank provincially but with Ireland competition is even stiffer.

I could see a situation where he's out of Leinster's 23 entirely. Ryan Baird was starting to play very well at blindside flanker before his injury. If he recovers well I can see him taking that spot. He has a lot of attributes coaches love. Incredible athleticism in open play, strong at the lineout and good handling skills.

That leaves just the number 20 jersey available as VDF and Doris are undroppable in current form. On recent performances, Deegan is making a solid case as an impact sub as well. Conan could be squeezed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Baloucoune has been frustrating to watch so far, He needs to go looking for the ball a lot more. He can't really afford to have another meh game where you're hardly aware that he's on the pitch.

Coombes was "fine" against SA but he needed to make a statement and he didn't. He now finds himself behind not only POM, Doris and Conan but also Deegan and Prendergast, and if Baird is now considered a back-row, he might be even further down the list. That's a long way back when there are so few games left between now and the RWC.

I think what Farrell has consistently shown is that provincial pecking orders don't really matter to him; Jack Crowley and Ben Healy are the living proof of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭crisco10

Agree, he's such an athlete - love watching him. But he really struggles to get on the ball unless others bring him into the game. I feel like that try on Saturday was his 1st touch of the ball for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Crowley over Byrne obviously imo.

With Coombes, he doesnt fit ireland’s game plan imo. I noticed in the ireland maori game, they emphasized what he does well for munster. In the A game, he seemed to be meant to be mirroring doris more… and honestly i think deegan is better at that.

We have a set system and you have to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ireland generally use their left wing as the additional playmaker. e.g. Lowe v Conway or Hansen when he's playing 11.

Baloucoune's wing is usually to keep width. His lack of involvement is probably more down to Ireland's sloppy play v Fiji and SA slamming the door closed.

He does need a big game v Aus. It's going to be another slightly disjointed backline without the Sexton (as rumored) & Lowe axis.

All excellent prep for RWC

Photos out of Sexton in training. Seems like good news on the injury front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Boo! Down with this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Very surprised by Ross Byrne's call up. He's probably the out half who least suits the way Ireland are trying to play. I'd have Carty or Burns over him personally.

Also don't think having him in camp is good for Crowley. He's supposed to be quite a loud, dominant personality like Sexton. And if they're trying to bed Crowley in, grow his confidence, get him calling the shots etc, I don't think having Ross Byrne in camp is a good thing for him. It could undermine Crowley.

If Sexton is fit, I don't see why they needed to call up another out half. A Lowry or O'Brien may have to act as 3rd choice 10 at the RWC, so why not use this game week as a dry run for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

I'd argue the point with respect to Prendergast and Baird. Baird is currently injured and behind all of the above in the Leinster pecking order for the no.6 shirt, nevermind Ireland. Prendergast is doing fine, but no more than that. Personally I'd say it was a close call between him and Coombes being released from the Ireland camp. Coombes was worse against NZ XV but Prendergast wasn't exactly hectic either. There's one seat left on the plane as a 6/8 for the WC next year and currently Deegan is in pole position. A lot will change in the coming 9 months, it's a position of high attrition and injuries / loss of form will occurr. Don't write off Coombes yet, or any of them. Right now only Doris, VDF and POM are backrow bankers. Probably Timoney too as a 7. Conan also but he could get usurped if he can't find form.

6/8 is a position of depth for us. The 10 discussion is different because the gulf in class behind Sexton is huge and poor Carbery can't catch a break / is made of glass. That's why Farrell is ignoring provincial pecking orders for the 10 shirt. We're shagged if anything happens Sexton and we need to find an acceptable backup ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Rewatched the Fiji match. It was dour, no doubt. We got the job done, that's the main thing.

I don't know why Conan is getting criticism on here, he was good again last week. It was a crap match and no Ireland player really excelled. Conan is probably comfortably in the plans. Deegan has a lotvof work to do.

That match was ideal for the new lads and those on the fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

If Crowley can't hack it because Ross Byrne Is in camp he should retire immediately

This undermine stuff is grade A BS

• Advertisement

That's all fair enough, I wouldn't write anyone off completely at this point, but assuming we go full strength this weekend and full strength in four of the 6n matches, that leaves only three games for fringe players to make an impression before the RWC squad is announced, otherwise they're relying on injuries.

A lot of players have already run out of road, Coombes needs a big season with Munster to get back in the frame IMO. Simply being first choice won't mean anything.

Advertisement