Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I think the important question we all have to ask ourselves after this afternoon's game is.......

Chiefs or Buccs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Murray and Sexton weren’t “crap” today.

Both played pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sexton's defence is still top notch, but the creative side of his game has gone to pot. At his very best he knew exactly when the best moment was to pass, kick or run. Now he just does everything wildly. He has no control over the game anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Murray and Sexton weren’t “crap” today.

Both played pretty well.

They were rubbish.

Dumb penalties, poor passing, poor kicking, poor decisions, missing touch, kicks out on the full.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

If I ever see Billy Burns in an Irish Jersey again......

Was just saying to my son this morning I have no idea what Farrell is doing with Burns in the squad let one in the match day 23 and said that I would have Harry Byrne, Ross Byrne, Jack Carty, Ian Madigan and Ben Healy all ahead of him in an Ireland Jersey.

And then this happens......

As for POM, well Rhys Ruddock must be wondering after POM gets a lengthy and fully deserved ban for his behaviour today is this finally his chance or will Farrell start Billy Burns at 6.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Keenan is looking very assured and solid. I think if he’d arrived with a pile of hype he’d be getting shouted about from the roof tops.

Honestly not sure where I’d go with the back row, it doesn’t work for me as a unit, I said weeks ago it’s less than the sum of its parts somehow. It’s not something I can put my finger on but I genuinely think some big calls need to made there in particular.

Clegg wrote: »
    Sexton's defence is still top notch, but the creative side of his game has gone to pot. At his very best he knew exactly when the best moment was to pass, kick or run. Now he just does everything wildly. He has no control over the game anymore.

Thought J10 was excellent today. Couple of mistakes sure and he isn't as good as when he was 30 but still the best outhalf in Ireland. If he hadn't gone off suspect we would have snagged it.

salmocab wrote: »
    Keenan is looking very assured and solid. I think if he’d arrived with a pile of hype he’d be getting shouted about from the roof tops.

Honestly not sure where I’d go with the back row, it doesn’t work for me as a unit, I said weeks ago it’s less than the sum of its parts somehow. It’s not something I can put my finger on but I genuinely think some big calls need to made there in particular.

Flawless game from Keenan.15 done and dusted.

Back row is simple enough. Stander a one trick pony so clear that out, POM is fading fast and a liability.

Rhys Doris and VDF for me with support from Conan, Connors, Dan. Don't think you need to go outside these six. Jordi a good standby too.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Kilcoyne
    Herring
    Porter
    Ryan
    Beirne
    Ruddock
    Connors
    Stander
    Casey
    Byrne
    Lowe
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Keenan

We need to start dropping guys who just are not delivering.

Murray Sexton Earls were crap today

I thought Healy delivered one of his best performances in green over the last year today. Agree with most of the rest - not sure Casey would be the right choice against France albeit I think he has a huge amount of potential.

If Ross Byrne starts I'd pick Park to be honest. Maybe have Casey on the bench with a view to gradually introducing him into the frame. I'm so frustrated by Murray's performance today given how badly we needed him to step up but we do need to give ourselves the best chance to win next week so having a zero cap half in the 23 might not be the best decision.

Could see Ruddock coming in and I'm inclined to try and involve Henderson given his effectiveness off the bench.

Ultimately I'm not sure this coaching setup is working and I think all involved are on notice. Interesting that O'Connell is brought in and our line out / breakdown starts to function however.

They were rubbish.

Dumb penalties, poor passing, poor kicking, poor decisions, missing touch, kicks out on the full.

Murray did what Murray does and when JGP came on tempo lifted.

Sexton was the best 10 by a distance on the pitch today and while yes he is not in vintage form he is still the best Irish 10. Harry Byrne for me is gonna be the future and there is an argument to get him involved sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

I thought Healy delivered one of his best performances in green over the last year today. Agree with most of the rest - not sure Casey would be the right choice against France albeit I think he has a huge amount of potential.

If Ross Byrne starts I'd pick Park to be honest. Maybe have Casey on the bench with a view to gradually introducing him into the frame. I'm so frustrated by Murray's performance today given how badly we needed him to step up but we do need to give ourselves the best chance to win next week so having a zero cap half in the 23 might not be the best decision.

Could see Ruddock coming in and I'm inclined to try and involve Henderson given his effectiveness off the bench.

Ultimately I'm not sure this coaching setup is working and I think all involved are on notice. Interesting that O'Connell is brought in and our line out / breakdown starts to function however.

Henderson had a cracking game and Healy rolled back the years, great clearing out. Furlong made a big impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lineout was a bit sloppy. We had a few that count as won but not exactly a launch pad.

Breakdown next week will tell us more.

Murray box kick early in 2nd half from Welsh 10m line in middle of pitch.... he should have been hooked after that.

There is a real chance we only win 2 games this year. England will get much better with gametime and can't see us beating France regardless and think we need to start giving guys a chance.

Lineout was a bit sloppy. We had a few that count as won but not exactly a launch pad.

Breakdown next week will tell us more.

Murray box kick early in 2nd half from Welsh 10m line in middle of pitch.... he should have been hooked after that.

There is a real chance we only win 2 games this year. England will get much better with gametime and can't see us beating France regardless and think we need to start giving guys a chance.

We permanently lost one of our primary jumpers after 15 minutes. I thought it went very well considering to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

Ah Now the line out was a step up on what we have seen and remember Ryan went off fairly early. Breakdown was excellent too, with the caveat that Wales were poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

One thing I liked was our use of multiple first receivers. It wasn't always Sexton who received the ball from Murray. Saw some good linking passes from Beirne and Porter. Think Furlong had one or two as well. Ringrose was used a few times as well. It changed things up as Wales couldn't line up an obvious first receiver for a smash tackle like they would've done with Sexton. It's a definite step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Completely agree on Healy. Has been poor for a while but was very good today. Some of those clear-outs *chefs kiss*

I think Joe used the phrase "individual errors" quite a lot at times...and today was one of those games.
    Every major turning point, and score came directly from an individual Irish players error...not from any Welsh brilliance.
    This has to be worked on between now and our next game, or it'll be a Valentine's Day Massacre.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Assuming the players who went off don't start next week, I'd like to see this team.

Healy
    Kelleher
    Porter
    Beirne
    Henderson
    Ruddock
    Connors
    Stander( tho I'd have Conan in, if he got called up)
    JGP
    Bryne
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Lowe
    Keenan

Kilcoyne
    Herring
    Furlong
    Dillane
    Coombes
    Casey
    Burns
    Daly

Assuming the players who went off don't start next week, I'd like to see this team.

Healy
    Kelleher
    Porter
    Beirne
    Henderson
    Ruddock
    Connors
    JGP
    Bryne
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Lowe
    Keenan

Kilcoyne
    Herring
    Furlong
    Dillane
    Coombes
    Casey
    Burns
    Daly

Wouldn't have Burns in the squad.....let alone match day 23. He isn't even the best outhalf in Ulster......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Wouldn't have Burns in the squad.....let alone match day 23. He isn't even the best outhalf in Ulster......

I'd start Carry, buts he's not an option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Ah well lads. Still nice to be watching some international rugby with all that's going on! Let's not write it off yet. There'll be a few more surprises and bumps in the road before tournament's end.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

Healy
    Kelleher
    Porter
    Beirne
    Henderson
    Ruddock
    Connors
    JGP
    Bryne
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Larmour
    Lowe
    Keenan

Kilcoyne
    Herring
    Furlong
    Dillane
    Coombes
    Casey
    Burns
    Daly

Depends which Byrne brother your talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Sexton hasn’t learned from the autumn.

His attitude at obviously needing to go off showed his true colors again. He was out cold for a spell, couldn’t stand for a while and then needed help coming off, yet instead of encouraging his team he felt bad for himself.

Imagine he turned around to burns and offered some encouragement, told him to see it out, that he was good enough to win the game etc etc.

Naw. He cribbed at something that was as obvious a call as POM’s

I want JJ Hanrahan to be called up.... !!

I want JJ Hanrahan to be called up.... !!

He wouldn’t be any worse than burns.

griffinlee wrote: »
    Depends which Byrne brother your talking about!

Hopefully there is a third one.

Sexton hasn’t learned from the autumn.

His attitude at obviously needing to go off showed his true colors again. He was out cold for a spell, couldn’t stand for a while and then needed help coming off, yet instead of encouraging his team he felt bad for himself.

Imagine he turned around to burns and offered some encouragement, told him to see it out, that he was good enough to win the game etc etc.

Naw. He cribbed at something that was as obvious a call as POM’s

Sexton is the ultimate competitive nutter, love him to bits for it and of course he ain't happy about going off. Could have spent the afternoon chatting to Burns and it wouldn't have made any difference......no idea what Farrell sees in him. Bizarre. We have some good young talented outhalves about in Carty, Healy and the Byrne Brothers and a steady hand in Madigan and then there is Billy Burns.

Look hate getting at one player but anyone who says he is anything more than a sub PRO 14 away to the Dragons on a Friday evening kinda outhalf I wonder about.......clear as day to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Murray did what Murray does and when JGP came on tempo lifted.

Sexton was the best 10 by a distance on the pitch today and while yes he is not in vintage form he is still the best Irish 10. Harry Byrne for me is gonna be the future and there is an argument to get him involved sooner rather than later.

The prob with bringing Harry Byrne in early is if he has a bad performance you then are in a pickle on whether to stick or change. Look at what happened today to billy burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

bad result today with the grand slam and triple crown gone, a very small positive is we have nothing to lose and can experiment for the next 4 games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Sexton is the ultimate competitive nutter, love him to bits for it and of course he ain't happy about going off. Could have spent the afternoon chatting to Burns and it wouldn't have made any difference......no idea what Farrell sees in him. Bizarre. We have some good young talented outhalves about in Carty, Healy and the Byrne Brothers and a steady hand in Madigan and then there is Billy Burns.

Look hate getting at one player but anyone who says he is anything more than a sub PRO 14 away to the Dragons on a Friday evening kinda outhalf I wonder about.......clear as day to me.

Billy Burns is much better than this. He is a fine player, can take ball flat, good passer, good tactical kicker. Brave as heck. He messed up today, nobody is disputing this, but he will come back and recover from this obvious setback.

Advertisement